Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #46
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,205
All trials bikes are exactly the same. Made for the same purpose and need the same rider input new or old. I`ve been fortunate to just grab a bike and go. Actually I start riding a modern bike better after riding an outdated bike for awhile and switching back to a new bike! Switching bikes is all mental. I ride vintage in the AM, and modern in the PM.
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #47
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
All trials bikes are exactly the same. Made for the same purpose and need the same rider input new or old. I`ve been fortunate to just grab a bike and go. Actually I start riding a modern bike better after riding an outdated bike for awhile and switching back to a new bike! Switching bikes is all mental. I ride vintage in the AM, and modern in the PM.
I too find that riding vintage bikes makes me a better modern rider. I started riding Trials on modern bikes and then worked backwards to vintage bikes. I suspect that made learning to ride vintage a little more challenging. Or maybe it is just me!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #48
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,205
My first real trials bike was a `70 cota 247 in 1973. So when I get on 70`s vintage bike it`s like coming home, something very familiar.
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #49
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
excited to be getting the motor back on wed (16 jan 13) from hughs. according to tim, the piston looked fine, just honed cylinder and replaced rings, replaced clutch plates with barnett (only as an upgrade over stock, originals were fine), split cases and replaced all seals, gaskets, bearings, washers, etc. i had fuel in the clutch oil, so the culprit was easy to spot. kept the original amal carb, but "sanded" the slide a touch as it was sticking, and replaced gaskets, replaced points, and sent me out new clutch and throttle cables. when i originally posted this thread, i mentioned that the bike had 300mi on the odo, and i had no reason not to believe that. tim also felt that the motor appeared to confirm that. at this point i'm a real happy guy, now i cant wait to get the motor back in the bike and get some much needed seat time. i gave the bike, minus the motor a detailed washing in preparation for wednesday. i considered attempting my first restoration of a bike while i had the bike apart, but after my inspiration from pshrauber, i was afraid that i would uncover a new project "around every corner," . unlike pshrauber, who says he put away $$$ over years for his restoration, i am already into my next years harescramble series budget, and looking around the garage to see what i can sell to recoup some funds. possibly the best news of all, and the one that i am most happy about is that my 14 year old son seems to be enjoying the suzuki rl, admitted that old bikes have "style," and will be my trials partner at 2 events in the next couple months!!! i think i won the best son lottery!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #50
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

waiting for its motor

Old 01-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #51
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

weighs about a hundred pounds

Old 01-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #52
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthaler View Post
unlike pshrauber, who says he put away $$$ over years for his restoration, i am already into my next years harescramble series budget, and looking around the garage to see what i can sell to recoup some funds.
Wait ... Äh ... Yes I did spend some €€€ for the bike. But my bike was technical and in wear in a much more worse condition when I compare it to yours. And then just for record it's a two in one bike as I have now 2 set up's one in completly original and one in contemporary racing outfit and used original parts even for the modifications this is something comletly different.

You can probably compare the rebuild I did to the bike like some of these Jay Leno does with his cars but certaily on a much lower level and I would never ever do any "customizing" that would be not contemporary or not detachable as you never know what's "fashion" for a classic trials bike today can be outclassed tomorrow so to have the possibily to go back to 100% original is in my view a necessity.

Looking forward to the completion of your Bultaco!
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #53
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

yes, i can't wait to get it back together either. patrick, just to keep me busy until i get my shipment mid-week, do you have a website where i can look at more of the stunning bikes you sometimes post. if i remember correctly, i thought i saw the title "puma racing" on more than a few, but when i search, i come up empty. thanks in advance. just something to keep my mind occupied.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #54
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthaler View Post
yes, i can't wait to get it back together either. patrick, just to keep me busy until i get my shipment mid-week, do you have a website where i can look at more of the stunning bikes you sometimes post. if i remember correctly, i thought i saw the title "puma racing" on more than a few, but when i search, i come up empty. thanks in advance. just something to keep my mind occupied.
Not a real web site but a picture stack which is online, you need the main www adress to look at the pictures online, I will send the adresses through PM.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote