User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
snakecharmr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Johnny Pag bike for the wife?

My wife is taking her license course in a few months (soon as this damn snow is gone) and we've been looking for a bike for her to learn on. I always liked the looks of the Johnny Pag barhog/Ventura so was looking at there site the other day and found a new bike that I didn't know they made, The RX320i kinda BMW esc looks but uglier. For some reason she likes the looks and figured being a full size bike but with only a 320cc FI motor it would be a decent beginner bike for her. She will be using it mostly for the 10 min commute to work through the warmer months and the odd run with me on the weekends.

Does anyone have any experience with this bike?

Old 01-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Kinda BMW-esque? I'll say!

At first glance I would have guessed that was a BMW Scarver.

No experience with Johnny Pag though. Not many around here.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
snakecharmr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ya def a total rip of of the BMW "styling" but imho that aint a good thang. Still not sure why she likes the looks of it but I'll still rip around on it lol. I havn't seen one in person yet so hoping there is one at the motorcycle show coming up in Feb in Toronto..
Old 01-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Isn't Johnny Pag one of those cheap Chinese knock-offs of older Japanese bikes?

I think for the same money you can probably get a lightly used Japanese bike that will probably last longer.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Isn't Johnny Pag one of those cheap Chinese knock-offs of older Japanese bikes?

I think for the same money you can probably get a lightly used Japanese bike that will probably last longer.

this^^^

you want to be certain she is on a safe, reliable bike. This is not the place to get cheap. For her safety, and your peace of mind, don't buy chinese.

Has she seen the new Honda 500's?

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
snakecharmr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
this^^^

you want to be certain she is on a safe, reliable bike. This is not the place to get cheap. For her safety, and your peace of mind, don't buy chinese.

Has she seen the new Honda 500's?
Yup she isn't too keen on em. Plus she has set a price limit of $3500 for the bike and we can pick one of these up brand new for that around here.. Trying to talk her into something a bike bigger still though. 500-650cc.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecharmr View Post
Yup she isn't too keen on em. Plus she has set a price limit of $3500 for the bike and we can pick one of these up brand new for that around here.. Trying to talk her into something a bike bigger still though. 500-650cc.
Women!

My wife is the same way. She decided she wanted a Honda Rebel 450. Do you have any idea how hard those things are to find in decent shape? She wouldn't even look at anything else. I tried to convince her that a Vulcan 500 was essentially the same thing, but she didn't like it. We finally bought her a Rebel 450 last Memorial Day. Since then she has put maybe 400 miles on it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
snakecharmr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Women!

My wife is the same way. She decided she wanted a Honda Rebel 450. Do you have any idea how hard those things are to find in decent shape? She wouldn't even look at anything else. I tried to convince her that a Vulcan 500 was essentially the same thing, but she didn't like it. We finally bought her a Rebel 450 last Memorial Day. Since then she has put maybe 400 miles on it.
Ya but you just gotta learn how to play it to your advantage..lol I convinced her I needed a new $2k rifle by telling her it was pretty last year...
Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
snakecharmr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Biggest thing for her is an upright seating position, no sportbike ergos and no forward controls for her.. She feels a lot more comfortable being able to just move her legs straight down for balance and after two bad car accidents a decade ago (neither her fault) the sportbike ergos is just a no go..
Old 01-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Being an ex MSF Instructor, I would suggest that you wait until after she takes the course to find a bike as she will get the opportunity to ride a few different types and have a much better idea of what she would like. That way you could probably step up to a 500-650 cc bike with no real issues.

There is no advantage to having her learn from you, prior to her taking the course, no offence meant, but I've seen many more problems from spouses teaching spouses than successes. We always put spouses on different courses for this very reason. I've seen many spouses buy a bike for their spouse and it turns out to be the wrong choice or the spouse decides that biking isn't for her.

I second looking for an Japanese bike, as they have pretty good track records for safety & reliability.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
snakecharmr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
Being an ex MSF Instructor, I would suggest that you wait until after she takes the course to find a bike as she will get the opportunity to ride a few different types and have a much better idea of what she would like. That way you could probably step up to a 500-650 cc bike with no real issues.

There is no advantage to having her learn from you, prior to her taking the course, no offence meant, but I've seen many more problems from spouses teaching spouses than successes. We always put spouses on different courses for this very reason. I've seen many spouses buy a bike for their spouse and it turns out to be the wrong choice or the spouse decides that biking isn't for her.

I second looking for an Japanese bike, as they have pretty good track records for safety & reliability.
lol no chance in hell I'm gonna be her initial teacher on this... We almost got divorced once.. Don't wanna put the final nail in that coffin... Unfortunately we called the training place here and they are pretty much using only 250cc dualsports and one Buell blast.. She is dead set against a dual and can't find a decent Blast around here that hasn't been on its side more than upright.. We don't plan on her buying till after she takes the course though, just trying to get a feel for the bikes she is eyeing up..
Old 01-23-2014, 08:15 AM   #12
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
It might be ok, but that's just the thing...might. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying one, others would.....maybe lol.

Just a quick list of thoughts that maybe should could look at. You or she may hate all of the following. GS500(pre bodywork), TU250x, vulcan 500, cb500x is a looker shame she didn't like it. Damn I know I'm forgetting a good one.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
get on kijiji, see what's available locally, go check some stuff out.

There are some bikes out there that I'd take a chance on - Sym, for example, who are an established scooter manufacturer. But Johnny Pag and the other fly-by-night chinese knockoff assemblers are not among them.

edit: I looked in Hamilton, not sure where you are. There were some SV650s, a GS500, EX500, EX250, Nighthawk 250, and TU250 in your price range.

Grainbelt screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 08:26 AM
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #14
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,347
exactly the only reason these disposable POS "bikes" sell
someone likes the way it looks. worst thing you can do is purchase based on emotion alone
Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
exbee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
There should be dozens of barely used Japanese bikes on Kijiji within your $3,500 budget. I would personally never buy a NEW Johnny-anything over a used Honda...especially one that's a knock-off of the ugliest bike in the last 20 years...
exbee is offline   Reply With Quote