Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #166
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Way better than I've gotten in 20k miles. Unless you were talking imperial gallons :)
Nope, U.S. gallons. I average 55-57 in normal commuting. In the winter it goes down 4 or 5 mpg's. Depends on how you want to ride it and what matters to you. Enjoy, either way!
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #167
inline4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Cycle World

Should I renew my subscription to the bike mags? ?

They all loved these bikes.

oh...nevermind......
Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #168
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
for me it was a klr650c i read all the stuff on line about them being the best bike ect . found one at a dealer in OZ for a good deal had a look on line and seen it was the offroad model (i guessed it be the ligher than the road model )i went for it.
then found out it had a tiny 12l,
burned oil so i had to full up the the hole view glass thing to the top.
the max weight of the bike was to much so when i dropped it i had to get a help to pick it up.
ran bad at main road speed.
plus i lost money when i sold it.

i did hope some one would steal the bike but no luck.
Haha my sentiments exactly! Went through the same thing. Mine never burned oil, but it was a dog for sure.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #169
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Nobody ever hated an SV?
They all knew beforehand that they would ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #170
BuilderBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
What?

Nobody ever hated an SV ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
They all knew beforehand that they would ...
I didn't hate mine:

Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #171
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Cheap cunts who buy and ride the SV know what they're getting into and have the expectations to match.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #172
johns
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Didn't like my R1150GS, although I didn't want to admit it. We just never connected
johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #173
Chris41483
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
This has been a very interesting read!

CB750 Nighthawk- owned by a good friend, rode on several occasions. Seemed like a great bike, smooth, powerful, comfortable, but just not exciting at all

Ninja 650- have a friend with a sv650. The sv is awesome, ,very comfortable and does all things well. I had a chance to purchase a ninja 650 for almost nothing, less than 1000 miles on it, thought I couldn't go wrong b/c it was supposed to be similar to the sv. That bike sucked worse than any bike ever ridden by me. I had that bike for over a year, hated it so much I probably only rode it 5 times. One day I was backing my 32' Sundancer into the barn and backed right over the ninja. I hated it so much it didn't even hurt my feelings.

I would like to hear from someone who doesn't like the new nc700 for whatever reason. I'm interested in one of those. How does it compare to the v-storm for those of you who have ridden both?
Chris41483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #174
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
I didn't hate mine:

Whoooweeee that looks nice. Love that color
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #175
BuilderBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 View Post
Whoooweeee that looks nice. Love that color
Thanks. I bought it as a wreck and pretty much built it from the ground up. Tweaked the suspension and painted it myself in my garage. Took it to the track a couple of times. I would still have it except that I acquired an RC8R and felt that I didn't need two sport bikes.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #176
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I test rode a KTM 990 Adventure and fell instantly in love. Loved the ergos (still do, I'm tall), loved the motor ( because durring the test ride all I did was flog it, apparently thats what it was made for ) and I loved the way it handled and looked. I bought it the same day. Now ........... I've realized that the motor that is so much fun at wide open throttle isn't so great in everyday practicle use and its either a PITA to work on yourself or VERY expensive for someone else to work on. If your looking for an open class adventure bike that is really capable off road (not just unpaved Starbucks parking lots) this is the best bike around. I guess I wasn't honest with myself and visualized riding singletrack in Alaska when I bought it. I've since bought an FJR 1300 for sport touring (the type of riding I actually do) and a DRZ400 for bopping around on trails and comuting. I will probably sell the 990 this coming spring.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #177
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
I test rode a KTM 990 Adventure and fell instantly in love. Loved the ergos (still do, I'm tall), loved the motor ( because durring the test ride all I did was flog it, apparently thats what it was made for ) and I loved the way it handled and looked. I bought it the same day. Now ........... I've realized that the motor that is so much fun at wide open throttle isn't so great in everyday practicle ....................................... If your looking for an open class adventure bike that is really capable off road (not just unpaved Starbucks parking lots) this is the best bike around.................

The 990 grabbed my attention the first time I saw one. I wanted it, but talked myself out of it.......THEN, several months later I went to the dealership to pickup parts for my dirt bike. On the way out the sales manager (a friend) says "look what we got in " , while pointing at the 990. At the same time he handed me the keys and a helmet. A couple of hours later it was in my garage.

It is a fantastic bike when ridden hard. It is uncomfortable to ride slow. Cruising down the HWY at 70 or 75 was never comfortable. It was a little top heavy and got moved around by the wind, unless the pavement was smooth the steering was a little twitchy. And it was noisy as hell. I could never really relax on it. Riding hard at 70 or 75 on a dirt or gravel road was completely comfortable, no problem, put a big smile on your face.

I had visions of loading it down and exploring the great west. But I never did. The thought of riding from here (near Tulsa) to there (anywhere west of the rockies) took my enthusiasm for the 990 away. I had less then 10,000 miles on it when i traded it. I am not the least bit sorry that I bought it. But I didn't want to keep it either.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #178
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
I test rode a KTM 990 Adventure and fell instantly in love. Loved the ergos (still do, I'm tall), loved the motor ( because durring the test ride all I did was flog it, apparently thats what it was made for ) and I loved the way it handled and looked. I bought it the same day. Now ........... I've realized that the motor that is so much fun at wide open throttle isn't so great in everyday practicle use and its either a PITA to work on yourself or VERY expensive for someone else to work on. If your looking for an open class adventure bike that is really capable off road (not just unpaved Starbucks parking lots) this is the best bike around. I guess I wasn't honest with myself and visualized riding singletrack in Alaska when I bought it. I've since bought an FJR 1300 for sport touring (the type of riding I actually do) and a DRZ400 for bopping around on trails and comuting. I will probably sell the 990 this coming spring.

Funny, I was thinking of trading my FJR for a 990.

I just get sucked into too many dirt roads.....

My biggest problem with most of the big adventure bikes is I am 5' 7"

My biggest dissapointment is probably the 640 adventure I had. I just couldn't deal with the height around town. My DRZ isn't that much shorter but it just seems to work for me.

KLR's suck as well, I am on my third one.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #179
wreckah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
aprilia dorsoduro 750...it was everything i wanted on paper: middleweight 90 V-twin supermotard, good hp, good sound, good brakes,good suspension, beautiful, reliable...
but it lacked punch, the engine felt totally flat, dreadful throttle action, total disappointment.
( I bought a 990 SMT a month later. )

the other way around for me was the 2012 R1200RT. I expected a steamboat, a huge boring barge, but it was relatively fast, flickable and most of all fun on track! I embarassed a lot of sportsbikes on it, even dragged a knee
Old 11-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #180
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,940
After more than 30 years of riding and racing dirt bikes I was ready to slow down. In 2006 I bought a new KLR 650. I had ridden a few of them and read all I could find about the KLR. I thought I knew all I needed to know and really expected to like the kLR. But the reality is that it felt like a pig compared to the dirt bikes I was used to. The brakes are horrible, suspension horrible, seat sucks, gas tank too wide, wheels and spokes are flimsy, it's slow, heavy and vibrates. I didn't have much desire to ride it. I had it for a couple of years and only put about 3500 miles on it.
I have ridden the newer model KLR and liked it a lot better. My next DS was a 990 KTM ( read above). Right now I have an XR 650L, and a KTM 525 and a Goldwing.

Time has tempered my opinion somewhat. If I ever start camping off a bike the KLR may be my first choice.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote