Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #211
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakRS View Post
Multistrada 1200:

1. less than 6k miles on mine and I've already had to replace the suspension ECU, the rear shock, and rear brake master cylinder.

2. There are other reported issues of the motorcycle breaking in ways that would leave you completely screwed if they broke. ETA for replacement parts from pasta land? ~3 weeks. Replacement parts cost? $$$$$$$$$

3. Even after tinkering with the fueling the engine runs so poorly and unpredictably below 3k RPM that parking lot maneuvers are quite difficult.

4. It's still a short persons motorcycle, anyone with a long ish torso is going to get beat up by wind buffeting. Also, people with size 13 feet are going to have problems with cornering clearance because your feet keep running into the exhaust and passenger foot pegs.
This is why I'm hesitant to have another (new) Ducati darken my garage doorway. The MS1200 isn't cheap for starters, and at that pricepoint things like sub 4k fueling should be sorted.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #212
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
+11 on the 865 Triumphs - no balls
Yamaha Vstar 650 - can't ride 2up, tire pressure is a 20mph factor on the bike, will only do about 85mph 1up, downhill, with a tailwind. IMO every bike should be capable of 110+ for passing/emergency purposes. Oh and its a pig and wont stop for Schitt.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #213
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
I think you need to be able to do at least 150 mph to be safe.

But I enjoy high risk, and for most of the 40 years of accident free riding, most of my bikes would only do over 100 mph if you tossed them off a cliff.

I find iit hard to believe a modern 650 bike will not go faster then my air cooled 250 (85 mph).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappNBrrap View Post
+11 on the 865 Triumphs - no balls
Yamaha Vstar 650 - can't ride 2up, tire pressure is a 20mph factor on the bike, will only do about 85mph 1up, downhill, with a tailwind. IMO every bike should be capable of 110+ for passing/emergency purposes. Oh and its a pig and wont stop for Schitt.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #214
lmyamen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
The new Honda NC700x, on paper it seemed like it could work. Rode it and hated the power (or lack of) it felt cheap like the price tag that was on it. Hated the gearbox, it was just boring to me.
lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #215
Mike955i
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
2008 BMW R1200RT - Thought this was my "next bike", great ergos, fit and finish. Rented one for a 3 day weekend and was highly unimpressed. Lacking in power (2 up), I didn't care for the airflow and the seating position locked me into one place. Was very surprised (and started looking at K1200GT's instead).

2001 Honda XR650R - The bike I wanted to love but just never could. To be fair, it wasn't all the bike, too short legs on my part made technical riding harder than it had to be. I loved the motor and suspension but hated the weight and the way it washed the front too often and easily. I spent far too much money on suspension rebuilds, lowering links and other "fixes" to finally realize it was just too tall, too heavy, and I wanted an E button.

2002 Kawasaki Concours - the "old" Connie. Loved the seating position, decent power 2 up, hated the build quality and the lack of 6 speeds. I was always trying to find sixth and ended up selling it because I hated how high it ran at cruising speeds (and my now ex-wife hated riding on it).

2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LT Classic - As with the Bimmer, showroom sit tests and spec charts made me think this would be perfect for me. I'm a big guy and any ladies I might take along are likely to fall on this side of "normal" so I wanted something big, long, super comfy and powerful. So, I ended up buying the biggest production Vtwin made, and it is super comfy with lots of useable power and a long stable wheelbase. But it's also like riding an oil tanker, you have to start your turns 3 minutes early, it's rediculously heavy, and the saddle bags kinda suck. That said, it's Love/Hate as I still have it and get perverse pleasure when riding it. Plus, it makes me slow down in a way the other bikes do not. It'll probably go when the new KTM 1090ADV is available.

1992 Kawasaki 750 Zephyr - Loved the styling and power but ended up hating the seat (worst.seat.ever!) and wanted another gear most of the time. It eventually got "sat" and fell into dis-use, now waiting for rebirth as a cafe racer (with a seat rebuild included). Still love the styling!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #216
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike955i View Post

2002 Kawasaki Concours - the "old" Connie. Loved the seating position, decent power 2 up, hated the build quality and the lack of 6 speeds. I was always trying to find sixth and ended up selling it because I hated how high it ran at cruising speeds (and my now ex-wife hated riding on it).
I didn't like mine either but it had 6 speeds! I couldn't wait to get to 6th to get out of the buzz zone.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #217
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
BMW R850R. Like the 1100, but slower. Hated the suspension, didn't care for the handling, didn't like the gutless motor. That thing was a dog.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #218
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I didn't like mine either but it had 6 speeds! I couldn't wait to get to 6th to get out of the buzz zone.
I met a guy with one of those. It had something like 225,000 miles on it. He was riding from Seattle to Florida and said he was so sick of it he quit changing the oil hoping it would just die.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #219
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped Knuckles View Post
After 13 pages , doesn't anybody have something horrible to say about the 955i Tiger ?
I knocked one over in a dealership once. It shouldn't have fallen on me...

Howzat?
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #220
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
WR250R - Pulled out into traffic, twisted the throttle......... and nothing happened.
I have ridden 250's before but the complete lack of acceleration amazed me.
My buddy ended up buying the one I demoed and did some mods to it.
Not too bad in the woods, but still amazingly gutless on any open road.

Super Tenere - Did not feel like a 1200 cc bike, maybe 800cc tops.
Kind of boring, like a bigger, better suspended 650 V-strom but not as smooth.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #221
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
What?

Nobody ever hated an SV ?

Thanks for reminding me.............

SV1000 Naked

Owned many SV650 naked's and love them all. Thought the 1000 would be more of a good thing and boy was I wrong. Goofy ergos, tried 2 different seats, bars, pegs, & 3 different bar risers and never did get comfortable. It had a thump/vibration that had my hands numb within a few miles. It was only maybe 50-60lbs heavier than my 650, but it felt like over 100lbs more. Knew within 1 week that I made a huge mistake. It was however a roll-on king, it would leave my buddies ZRX1200 for died.
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #222
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,347
BMW R1100RL. I always wanted a BMW, and finally ran across this one used, with low miles at a price that fit my budget,

It was low on power, and the tranny felt like it had rocks in it. I was glad to get rid of it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #223
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
I knocked one over in a dealership once. It shouldn't have fallen on me...
The question wasn't "Which bike hates you most" ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #224
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 606
Airhead

I know this will be considered blasphemy by some but I really don't like riding my R80ST as much as I should. Maybe it's the controls, maybe it's the ergos, it just pains me to ride it. I do like the sound and feel of the engine and really like looking at it but my body is much happier on one of my newer asian machines.

Not to worry airhead followers, I still have it and will keep trying to make it better (until I run out of money or patience).

acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #225
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 820
My first and currently only bike... Suzuki S40

Not that I hate it or anything, but after spending a year with it I'm not as enamored as I was the day I brought it home. Learned that I'm just not a cruiser guy. Want a more standard riding position and something that's better suited for heading off of paved roads.

If I had the means to get a new bike tomorrow, it would be a hard battle between a Ural, BMW G650GS or a Ulysses.