User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #511
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Tiger 800XC.

Nice bike in every way except for the ridiculously close transmission ratios. The engine had such linear power. Silly to have such a tall 1st gear and short 6th gear on an adventure bike. It's like they added stroke and completely forgot that ADV riders might like something other than a track day tranny. Made it sound too busy at highway speeds.

Had they given it better gear ratios, one might be able to get decent fuel economy out of it.

I recall it feeling a bit top heavy too. Especially compared to the S10 I test rode.
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #512
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,108
BMW K75s

Loved the look and its beautiful Mystic Red paint. I think I loved the paint more than the ride because I had the wheels also color matched.
But, riding it was not that enjoyable to me, a killer on my hands and wrists even with bar-backs. Leg room was limited but not as much as a R1150r that I also owned.
Handling didn't impress me at first so I upgraded the suspension but I still didn't enjoy riding it, loved the look and the bags though.

My R1150r is a close second, maybe should be the first place.

Now my Dad has a K75c low seat that's a joy to ride (needs highway pegs though), it was all about the seating position and both the my "s" and that 1150 just didn't fit me.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #513
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
FJR: Horribly uncomfortable for me. Actually never even rode it. Just sat on it and knew it was a no go.
Interesting. How big a person are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
BMW R1200GS. I had an 1150GS and liked it a lot. I took a test ride on a 1200 and the extra power impressed me. I made the deal and but never really caught on to the bike.
I made the same move. It's early days yet. The 1150 is hard to live up to. Still my favorite bike ever. But so far my only "issue" with the 12 is that it's about a half inch or so taller. Note to self: It's taller yet in "two up" mode.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #514
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Love my RT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
BMW RT
The vaunted sofa. The old man's barca-lounger.
I wanted to like it. I did. But it was too boring for me, and the way the motor honked at full throttle was just irritating.

A lot of people like the RT, obviously. It's just not my bag, baby.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #515
gofargogo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
CBR600 F3. Amazing bike, but the motor buzz killed it for me. I never felt the bike disappear like my Hawk GT would.

91 VFR: Almost the opposite of the CBR. LOVED the motor, but felt like I was trying to straddle a hippo and I could never figure out what the front end was going to do. Ironically, the 98 VFR I bought years later was divine (best motor sound ever), but I sold it because the roads are really crap around here, and I was going to end up with way too many speeding tickets on the freeway, it was just loping along at 90.

KTM 990ADV. Test rode my boss's bike, after lusting after it for years. Whoa. The ergos were wrong, the controls (except the clutch) seemed wooden, and the motor was less exciting then my XR. It felt like sitting on top of a beautifully chiseled wedge of granite. Pretty, solid, and oddly cold.

The bike I expected to dislike but loved? 89 Transalp. For such an...interesting styling exercise, that bike just connected with me and I haven't found anything else that comes close to that yet.
gofargogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #516
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
Tiger 800XC.

Nice bike in every way except for the ridiculously close transmission ratios. The engine had such linear power. Silly to have such a tall 1st gear and short 6th gear on an adventure bike. It's like they added stroke and completely forgot that ADV riders might like something other than a track day tranny. Made it sound too busy at highway speeds.

Had they given it better gear ratios, one might be able to get decent fuel economy out of it.

I recall it feeling a bit top heavy too. Especially compared to the S10 I test rode.
I test rode it and remember having a similar reaction - close gearbox and surprisingly top-heavy. I also thought that the engine wasn't as charismatic as the triple engines in the Street and Speed triple - bit of a disappointment. Not a bad motorcycle per se - but not as exiting as I had expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofargogo View Post
KTM 990ADV. Test rode my boss's bike, after lusting after it for years. Whoa. The ergos were wrong, the controls (except the clutch) seemed wooden, and the motor was less exciting then my XR. It felt like sitting on top of a beautifully chiseled wedge of granite. Pretty, solid, and oddly cold..
The secret with the 990 Adv is to ride it like you stole it and not like if you borrowed it from your boss!

If you ride it slow and with any kind of hesitation you won't get the bike - it's not a tourer. Ridden like that you will start to wonder why you're not riding a BMW RT1200 instead.

You have to manhandle it - grab a fistful of throttle, brake hard and let the front forks dive, stand on the pegs, let the rear slide, fire it off towards the horizon and trust that the chassi is good enough to soak up whatever comes it's way.

The 990 Adv has the best off-road chassi in it's class - you have to really ride it and push it to understand how good it is.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #517
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
The secret with the 990 Adv is to ride it like you stole it and not like if you borrowed it from your boss!

If you ride it slow and with any kind of hesitation you won't get the bike - it's not a tourer. Ridden like that you will start to wonder why you're not riding a BMW RT1200 instead.

You have to manhandle it - grab a fistful of throttle, brake hard and let the front forks dive, stand on the pegs, let the rear slide, fire it off towards the horizon and trust that the chassi is good enough to soak up whatever comes it's way.

The 990 Adv has the best off-road chassi in it's class - you have to really ride it and push it to understand how good it is.
Hear! Hear! I completely understand where you are coming from. My 640 is not a bike to be babied. Pussy-foot around on it, and it won't quite fight you, but it will not make either of you happy. Give it death, and it just soaks it all up with aplomb and taunts you to give it more!

I just LOVED the 950 when I rode it. Handled like a dirt bike, went like my litre-class road bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #518
gofargogo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
You may be right about the KTM. I was definitely watching my Ps & Qs as my boss was VERY clear about what would happen if anything happened to it.
gofargogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #519
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofargogo View Post
You may be right about the KTM. I was definitely watching my Ps & Qs as my boss was VERY clear about what would happen if anything happened to it.
I've ridden a couple of those things (950 ADV) and you couldn't give me one. Seriously.

Was all fired up to buy one a few years ago after listening to all the hooplah around here and seeing all the cool pictures... The R1150GS experience should have schooled me on "hooplah" ... Met the seller after a frantic hour long dash from home with a figurative wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket. Until I rode the thing. For 20 minutes on pavement, gravel roads and a short dirt trail. Thing I remember most was the vibration, underwhelming motor (my Buells would eat it alive) and "Playmobil" dashboard.

Nice suspension and brakes, but there's no way I'd travel on a bike that crude.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #520
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I've ridden a couple of those things (950 ADV) and you couldn't give me one. Seriously.

Was all fired up to buy one a few years ago after listening to all the hooplah around here and seeing all the cool pictures... The R1150GS experience should have schooled me on "hooplah" ... Met the seller after a frantic hour long dash from home with a figurative wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket. Until I rode the thing. For 20 minutes on pavement, gravel roads and a short dirt trail. Thing I remember most was the vibration, underwhelming motor (my Buells would eat it alive) and "Playmobil" dashboard.

Nice suspension and brakes, but there's no way I'd travel on a bike that crude.

I can certainly understand someone who doesn't like the 990 Adv - it is a bit of a watershed bike. Bad fuel economy, hard to service, stock fueling on the 990 can be pretty terrible etc etc....

The 800GS is much easier to recommend and if I'm to be honest probably a better bike overall. But then there are moments on the 990 Adv when it comes together, you nail a section and it all makes sense.

I think people coming from an enduro/mx background have a much easier time appreciating the Adv than those with a road riding background. And aggressive dirt riders especially should totally get what the Adv is about.

The harder you ride it off-road the more sense the bikes makes - instead of fighting the bike you will find that you can lean on it. Ask it to do impossible things and it will just soak it up.

I've lived with the 990 Adv for quite a while and I fully admit that it isn't a perfect bike - far from it. But in my mind there is no question that it has the best off-road chassi in its class and that's what the bike is all about.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #521
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,559
So, everybody diggin' they scoots right now?
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #522
NatetheGreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
My current bike, a 95 vulcan 800. Terribly cramped for my height (6ft), dont care for the cruiser seating position, and basically unbearably high revs and vibes past 55 mph
NatetheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #523
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatetheGreat View Post
My current bike, a 95 vulcan 800. Terribly cramped for my height (6ft), dont care for the cruiser seating position, and basically unbearably high revs and vibes past 55 mph
The Vulcan 800's were basically full-sized bikes with mid-sized motors. While I can agree with you about some cruiser seating positions (and possibly two of the three models made around the 800 Vulcan), it's as much a handlebar thing as anything on the Vulcans. The PO had changed mine out, and while I lived with the new ones... they sucked for ergos. Yet I did about 22,000 miles in one year on the Vulcan 800. Over the year and a half that I had it I commuted on it a crazy amount.

With a proper change-out of the front sprocket (I went to a 19 tooth for the front of mine - but then my expectations of speeds for the 800 are obviously higher than yours if all you're doing is complaining about it at 55 MPH instead of already having fixed it) the bikes are superb for the really cheap prices they go for.

I finally got to ride the 3rd rendition of the 800 - the one that looked like an old Indian bike. Wow, what a difference. I'd own one if I had the room and wanted a comfortable cruiser.

The wasp-waist of the 800 was about as neat as anything else about them. I really think that with some modifications any regular Vulcan 800 could be made to be really comfortable - but I've never seen anyone change the saddle, bars and foot-pegs enough on one to make much of a difference.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #524
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
OK, I'll play. Back in February, I bought a 2010 KTM Duke 690. Did it on a whim without much research. It was a good news/bad news purchase.

Good news: it was a super quick single 650cc up to 100MPH.

Highest quality suspension, brakes, and wheels. A supermoto with lights and a plate...

It handled twisties and back roads better than anything I had ever owned.

It was unique and no one else had one.

Bad news: the seat was the worst I had ever sat on, period.

Zero wind protection, and a sit up and beg seating position, making the wind blast worse.

The engine was unusable below 3000RPM. Bucked like crazy...

It was super quick up to 100 MPH, and handled twisties and back roads way above my comfort zone.

The worst was that it was soooo damn much fun in certain (most) situations, that I KNEW I was either going to lose my license or my life on that thing.

Traded it even last weekend for a new KLR650, a bike with half the HP and almost 150lbs more weight, but I am much happier, now. Is there an age limit on being a hooligan? Think maybe I've reached it. tomp dd50
Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #525
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
OK, I'll play. Back in February, I bought a 2010 KTM Duke 690. Did it on a whim without much research. It was a good news/bad news purchase.

Good news: it was a super quick single 650cc up to 100MPH.

Highest quality suspension, brakes, and wheels. A supermoto with lights and a plate...

It handled twisties and back roads better than anything I had ever owned.

It was unique and no one else had one.

Bad news: the seat was the worst I had ever sat on, period.

Zero wind protection, and a sit up and beg seating position, making the wind blast worse.

The engine was unusable below 3000RPM. Bucked like crazy...

It was super quick up to 100 MPH, and handled twisties and back roads way above my comfort zone.

The worst was that it was soooo damn much fun in certain (most) situations, that I KNEW I was either going to lose my license or my life on that thing.

Traded it even last weekend for a new KLR650, a bike with half the HP and almost 150lbs more weight, but I am much happier, now. Is there an age limit on being a hooligan? Think maybe I've reached it. tomp dd50
Glad you like the KLR-650 - sounds like the bike you needed all along.

Neither of your first two "Con's" are really cons: All KTM seats need to be replaced, and any naked, dirt bikes included, don't have wind protection. So, a hot street thumper. The fueling has been fixed on the 2012+ models.

The Duke is not an SM, however. It doesn't have the suspension travel.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote