Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Pants... how long do can you use them? when to go new?

well I have several questions about pants.

In 2005 I bough some Overpants from tourmaster and they have been used 4 days per week since then unless it was winter (since 2007) I bought Tourmaster Calipers and they get used in winter.

Now both have broken zippers, and I have fix them, BUT it did not last. Now I have a pair of pants with a zipper that is not working from the crouch and another that has a right leg zipper that it does not work.

So my question is, how long such I expect my zippers and pants to last? The overpants I have used since 2005 the per year is very good (so that is like 7 years of used and they were less than $100 USD) is 10 years too much to expect?
Also I saw some $300 pants from aerostich but wonder if they will last 15+ years? (to off set the price difference)

Just for reference I did contact Tourmaster and they advice to go to my local tailor so he can fix it (I guess much cheaper). So I have look at options and they are several under $150 that I am considering,

I do not need pants with liners (the calipers had them and I never used it) any recommendations?

Thanks, Damasovi
Old 11-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,896
I got about 11 years of near daily use from my Darien's before they got so tired I needed to replace them.

I was happy enough with them I bought another pair.
Less impressed with this pair as the pad Velcro and some of the seam tape has come up.
Aerostitch did send me plenty of replacement heat set tape to make the repair however.

Best all around over pant I've found for everything but stupid hot conditions.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
well I have several questions about pants.

In 2005 I bough some Overpants from tourmaster and they have been used 4 days per week since then unless it was winter (since 2007) I bought Tourmaster Calipers and they get used in winter.

Now both have broken zippers, and I have fix them, BUT it did not last. Now I have a pair of pants with a zipper that is not working from the crouch and another that has a right leg zipper that it does not work.

So my question is, how long such I expect my zippers and pants to last? The overpants I have used since 2005 the per year is very good (so that is like 7 years of used and they were less than $100 USD) is 10 years too much to expect?
Also I saw some $300 pants from aerostich but wonder if they will last 15+ years? (to off set the price difference)

Just for reference I did contact Tourmaster and they advice to go to my local tailor so he can fix it (I guess much cheaper). So I have look at options and they are several under $150 that I am considering,

I do not need pants with liners (the calipers had them and I never used it) any recommendations?

Thanks, Damasovi
If the zipper tape is not broken, a new slider will usually fix a zipper. If the zipper tape is broken, a new zipper can be sewn in by someone who knows how to sew. (The zipper tape is the strip of cloth that the zipper teeth are attached to.) How long you can expect the zipper and or pants to last depends on the quality of the original product. Sometimes it is worth spending the money to get something repaired, sometimes it is not.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
If the zipper tape is not broken, a new slider will usually fix a zipper. If the zipper tape is broken, a new zipper can be sewn in by someone who knows how to sew. (The zipper tape is the strip of cloth that the zipper teeth are attached to.) How long you can expect the zipper and or pants to last depends on the quality of the original product. Sometimes it is worth spending the money to get something repaired, sometimes it is not.

Walter
YES THIS was my idea, I had them repair at a leather shop (where they fix clothing made of leather, sorry I do not know the English word for it) and the cost was $5 usd so I don't care, I will take them to a better place for repair but I am wondering if it is worth it, specially for the Caliper pants since they are newer and have been use a lot less (because they are not comfortable over 65F).

So thanks for the advice to both of you

Damasovi
Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,482
I think that armor has a limited lifespan and after a while its protective qualities start to deteriorate.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote