Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
rookie#1 OP
Banned

Oddometer: 79
GPS for Moron

So I would love to get a GPS on the bike, but:

I have a low tolerance for complicated, hard to use devices.

I really don't know how to use one, yep that's right never even dabbled.

I don't want to circumnavigate the globe but getting off road is my main objective.

I don't want to have to load new information into this thing every 2 days.
If it doesn't recognise named tracks 3 foot of the tar I don't want one at all!!

I sometimes want to be able to explore wherever I want without taking any notice of where I'm going then press a button that shows me how to get back to home/camp.

So considering all this, is there anything that suits an intolerant, technological retard like me and would be all that I'm hoping for in a device?? I'm prepared to spend up to $500 for something, hopefully that's enough?? I'd also buy something (that works!) second hand if anyone feels they have something that will suit?? Thanks

Cheers, Brendan
rookie#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:49 AM   #2
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie#1 View Post
So I would love to get a GPS on the bike, but:

I have a low tolerance for complicated, hard to use devices.

I really don't know how to use one, yep that's right never even dabbled.

I don't want to circumnavigate the globe but getting off road is my main objective.

I don't want to have to load new information into this thing every 2 days.
If it doesn't recognise named tracks 3 foot of the tar I don't want one at all!!

I sometimes want to be able to explore wherever I want without taking any notice of where I'm going then press a button that shows me how to get back to home/camp.

So considering all this, is there anything that suits an intolerant, technological retard like me and would be all that I'm hoping for in a device?? I'm prepared to spend up to $500 for something, hopefully that's enough?? I'd also buy something (that works!) second hand if anyone feels they have something that will suit?? Thanks

Cheers, Brendan
The garmin 60csx is a good thing,very robust etc,i got one with the ozgps card in it (maps of australia)simple to use maybe hard to get now?
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
Keep a lookout for specials .i use a 62s too. Plenty of tutorials on thegps forum. Or find a gps savvy riding buddy. I have a rino touchscreen too. I like the buttons on the 62s better! Go figure!
Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
DR-DRZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
The garmin 60csx is a good thing,very robust etc,i got one with the ozgps card in it (maps of australia)simple to use maybe hard to get now?
+1 on the 60Csx, it will always get you home.
Works great with Garmin Oz Topo but like numbers said, screen is a bit small and buttons fiddly.
All in all, good unit for serious off road the bigger more user friendly units are prone to damage in a get off.
I smashed the RAM mount on mine and the 60Csx was unharmed, I don't think my Zumo 660 would have come out so well.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Doctor
Keyboard Renagade

Oddometer: 7,250

Old 02-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Karlxx
Dirt Curious

Oddometer: 156
You have to be understanding and tolerant and willing to learn and adapt. If you are the type that will throw it into a tree the moment it does not do something you want it to, then I would save the money and buy a map.

I have the Garmin Montana, its great but it does some weird things on occasion.

IBA 41759
Karlxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlxx View Post
You have to be understanding and tolerant and willing to learn and adapt. If you are the type that will throw it into a tree the moment it does not do something you want it to, then I would save the money and buy a map.

I have the Garmin Montana, its great but it does some weird things on occasion.
+1 several times

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
StayUpright
Witty Quip goes here

Oddometer: 96
Garmin Rino - GPS and UHF combined. Interface is intuitive. Excellent maps can be picked up on Ebay from $20 (albeit probably dodgy copies - copyright)

Jonny Appleseed were doing a pair for $600 which is an awesome deal as standalone they are over $500.

But if you have a short fuse I think the recommendation of a map is a good one. Less expensive when you lob it at a tree.
StayUpright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Most mapping gps will have "trackback" if you just want to use it as a straight gps. I have used the Colorado for quite a few years with Shonky Topo. Upgraded to Montana recently but still carry the Colorado. Also tried Hema HN5i but not great in direct sunlight. pity as ithas the potential to be a great bike GPS. It runs OziExplorer, Memory maps plus Navi??? that is road oriented.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 12,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616847 View Post
This will probably get punted to the GPS forum...

But a redirect so you can find it.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
Jdeks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie#1 View Post
So considering all this, is there anything that suits an intolerant, technological retard like me and would be all that I'm hoping for in a device??
Probably not! But how intolerant and technologically retarded are we talking here?

If you can drive a smartphone, you can probabaly manage most GPS units these days.

But to be able to use get the most out of one, you are actually going to have to sit down and learn how to use it.

You need to set how it displays the map on the screen. You need to configure how it calculates which roads to use. You need to install and update maps, and that usually means you need to learn how to use the computer programs that go with it (you'd be mad not to - amazing potential), unless you're happy to throw fistfulls of dollars at Garmin every year for them to do it for you.

It's not hard. You just have to sit down and do it, which so many people don't....

If you don't, unless you have a knack for picking up nerdy stuff on the fly, then you're going to take it out for the first ride, get frustrated and/or lost, blame the unit, and it will ruin GPS for you as a whole. In which case you'd be better off sticking to maps.

If you're happy to put in a few afternoons to do a bit of learning, send me a PM. I've helped inmates out before with GPS setup and I'm happy to it again. Might be able to help with getting you one too....
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #12
PeterHOz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
This is what I suggest.....

I think the following is the easiest solution - A simple electronic map on your smart phone with a GPS feature.

No programming, no routing. Just shows your position and direction of travel on a screen. Has logging/backtracking feature if you need to go back the way you came.

Simply buy the HEMA maps app for iPhone or android, got it for $99 in December. The system shows you where you are, it has all the main roads and all the minor tracks you can want for off-road riding. In the pic shown I am just off the main drag, heading south west at 74kph.

I have the Garmin GPSMaps60 as well for the routing, but you said you did not want anything complicated, so not showing you how I use these two in combination.....

PeterHOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:13 AM   #13
PBee

Oddometer: 7,626
I think the Zumo 660 is as easy as it gets, similar to an in car unit to use,
glove friendly, waterproof IPX7 & shockproof.

A good selection of maps are also available, Shonky maps (Free), & the latest Garmin Topo
is Routable .

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUBEst 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the ANGORICHINA Village

PBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:13 AM   #14
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,375
No, that would be GPS for a Moron, and I have retitled your thread as such and moved it to the GPS101 forum where it should have been placed to begin with.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:04 AM   #15
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,170
The Montana does a lot of what you want.

I believe the Oregon is smaller but functions similarly. And if I'm wrong there'll be a chorus on ADV saying so.

One inmate mentioned that most GPSs have a "trackback" feature. I have used this and it lead me along all the dead ends and wrong turns I used to get to where I wanted to get out of.

If you can push a "mark waypoint" button the GPS can help get you back there. For on-road this will be turn-by-turn directions. I don't always know when to push the button because I'm never sure that I'm about to get "lost". For offroad I have to watch the line that shows where I've been and occasionally I have to stop and scroll around to see which of my tracks leads out and which are "wrong" turns. I think my Montana will dispay an arrow pointing toward my destination, but I'd have to experiment.

Another inmate mentioned a zumo 660 which is not designed for off-road. I don't know how well it would work with the topo maps. I also don't know what maps would be best for your continent or your type of riding.

EDIT: I don't load anything onto my GPS often at all. I originally put 2 types of maps on there and updated the firmware once. I do, however, take information off the GPS between rides -- at home I can put my day's ride into my computer and look at various kinds of maps to see exactly where I was lost and where I might want to explore the next day. This is for day trips.

Grinnin screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 04:12 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote