User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
slowinfastout OP
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,452
Motorcycle Tire Changers

O.K., first off I know how to use spoons to change tires and 2" x 4"s to break beads, but I want to have a more civilized tire-changing procedure in my garage. Thinking about a Cycle Hill changer that's available for around $ 465. Its a homeowner version of the No-Mar units, and would suit my purpose.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/4

However there are others out there, so trying to get some feedback on what everyone likes. I see/hear a lot about the Harbor Freight units, but it seems most must be modified in some manner to get decent performance from them. Anyone like something in particular that can break beads and get the wheel off the floor? TIA

Duane
Old 08-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
I have a No-Mar Jr Pro, works like a million bucks and the rate I go through tires it paid for itself (buy the tires at a steep discount compared to the dealer and no changing fee, save a minimum of $200 dollors a change for the GSA and about $300 for the S1000RR). I can change them in about 15 minutes an axel.
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
I have the Cycle Hill, and it has been a great unit. While I would definitely buy it again, I do somewhat regret not splurging on one of the No-Mar units.

Now that I have the CH, I find myself mounting quite a few more tires. It would be easier to not have to arange my blocks of wood to keep hubs, rotors, and wheels off the ground while breaking the beads, all with less bending over. The quick changes between wheel sizes would also come in quite handy. While it is perfectly capable of changing from a 17 to a 21, it takes far more time to do and get the wheel locked in than it would with the NoMar.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Actually, I see you aren't too far away... I might be willing to sell my couple year old CH so I can upgrade to one of the No-Mar units.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
slowinfastout OP
6 x 275cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
I have the Cycle Hill, and it has been a great unit. While I would definitely buy it again, I do somewhat regret not splurging on one of the No-Mar units.

Now that I have the CH, I find myself mounting quite a few more tires. It would be easier to not have to arange my blocks of wood to keep hubs, rotors, and wheels off the ground while breaking the beads, all with less bending over. The quick changes between wheel sizes would also come in quite handy. While it is perfectly capable of changing from a 17 to a 21, it takes far more time to do and get the wheel locked in than it would with the NoMar.
That's the kind of info I need! I didn't realize the No Mar was quicker at setups for sizes, though I did know the bead breaker was off the ground rather than on the Cycle Hill unit.

If you want to sell yours, ping me...maybe we can work out a deal.

Duane
Old 08-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Mike E
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I have the Cycle Hill and it works great.

They told me the cam rim holds on the No-Mar unit don't work that great on GS tires, and it would be better to have the screw in ones. They sell these as an option on the No-Mar units, but are the standard on the Cycle Hill - so I just bought the Cycle Hill.

I'm sure the No-Mar unit is better and slightly more convenient, but not by much. It's essentially the same. I don't mind putting a couple of short 2x4's on the ground to set the front rim on (to protect the rotors) to break the bead. It's no big deal.
Mike E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I have the Cycle Hill and it works great.

They told me the cam rim holds on the No-Mar unit don't work that great on GS tires, and it would be better to have the screw in ones. They sell these as an option on the No-Mar units, but are the standard on the Cycle Hill - so I just bought the Cycle Hill.

I'm sure the No-Mar unit is better and slightly more convenient, but not by much. It's essentially the same. I don't mind putting a couple of short 2x4's on the ground to set the front rim on (to protect the rotors) to break the bead. It's no big deal.
I can assure you that the cam lock works just fine on the No Mar, I have never had an issue holding the rims through many changes of my own (GSA) or others (GS GSA) tires.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,910
I posted this in the FleaMarket cause someone was looking for a HF changer:

I have a HF model that someone gave me, but I use a changer I made from a 14" trailer wheel / rim and square tubing so it mounts into my receiver hitch. The only things I bought were a mount / demount bar (many available - I bought Dave's) for $65, a balancer (mine was a bit more expensive because it is also a truing stand) and wheel weights. I had the rim, tubing and rod in my shop. Over the last couple years I've bought a couple bits from NoMar, like the yellow thing and the 3rd hands (or whatever they call them), to make it easier to do changes by myself. My threaded rod is 3/4" so I can't do a Ninja 250 or something with a small axle / hub, and I still use irons and rim protectors for my tube type tires.

Here's the link to Dave's No-Scuff Bar and his homepage, it was the inspiration for building my own tire changer.

http://no-scufftiretool.com/index.html

I used the 2X4 and block of wood bead breaker at first, but lately have been modifying a bead breaker from HF - so far it's OK just have to be careful with rotors, if there's any chance of damaging them, I take one or both off.

All this fits in my trailer / truck for trackdays or long trips to the mountains :)
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
RottVet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
No-Mar JR

I agree with the above sentiments of the No-Mar vs Cycle-Hill. I figured the pricing difference between the two with the accessories I would need for both. The No-Mar by my calculations was less than $200 more. The kicker for me was having to bend over with my old, tired (so to speak,) back to break the bead. I have not been sorry one bit that I bought the JR. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Also purchased the spooled rim holders for my Ural and dirt bike. The standard cams work on my GS, Harley and ST rims. I also intend to do my auto tires as well, after having a disasterous experience with some mongoloid apes at the local Sam's Club tire shop. Go with the No-Mar if possible, both will work, obviously! Good luck!
RottVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
slowinfastout OP
6 x 275cc

Looking at No-Mar's web site, they have some install videos and I see they use spoons on Knobby tires, not their bar system. They also go to the clamps, which is what is standard on the Cycle Hill changer. Of course at this point I'm wondering if all you are paying for (if doing knobbies) is a bead breaker and a stand. Using the spoons kind of defeats the purpose of the tire changer unit. I have one set of wheels with knobbies, another with street tires for my KTM 990, now I'm even more confused!

Maybe back to just doing them on the floor and using 2 x 4's....lol
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #11
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,649
Cycle Hill

I have the Cycle Hill and it works great. Breaking the beads on the ground is super easy and a non-issue for me at least. Even the NoMar guys at the BMW MOA rally used the clamp type holders on my friends HP2 front rim. I put four cement anchors in my garage floor instead of using the supplied hardware and can install/remove the CH in less than a minute using an electric impact to tighten or remove the bolts. It is also smaller and stores away under a workbench when not in use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
Looking at No-Mar's web site, they have some install videos and I see they use spoons on Knobby tires, not their bar system. They also go to the clamps, which is what is standard on the Cycle Hill changer. Of course at this point I'm wondering if all you are paying for (if doing knobbies) is a bead breaker and a stand. Using the spoons kind of defeats the purpose of the tire changer unit. I have one set of wheels with knobbies, another with street tires for my KTM 990, now I'm even more confused!

Maybe back to just doing them on the floor and using 2 x 4's....lol
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #12
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
Innertubes, I use spoons, tubeless, the bar. Actually, I use the demount to pull the tires, and spoons to put the new tires on. If your wheels are tube type, then yeah, all you are getting is a really expensive tire holder and bead breaker. I say this based on my usage, but I did notice in this month's MCN, they used the mount/demount bar with TT wheels in the article.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #13
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
Innertubes, I use spoons, tubeless, the bar. Actually, I use the demount to pull the tires, and spoons to put the new tires on. If your wheels are tube type, then yeah, all you are getting is a really expensive tire holder and bead breaker. I say this based on my usage, but I did notice in this month's MCN, they used the mount/demount bar with TT wheels in the article.
I always use the No-Mar bar to change tube type tires on some of the families HD's, you have to be cautious inserting the bar but have never had an issue, also, when you have changed a few you realize you don't need the three clamps either, but the Yellow Thingy is a must have in my book.

Your results may vary.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,392
Does anyone use a hitch receiver mount, and if so, how well does the changer store away when not in use?

I love the idea of not taking up garage floor space, and only dragging it out when the need arises.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #15
YamWOW!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460

I have the Jr Pro which works well. The cam clamps are good if you mark them to your wheels. It takes longer to find the right position for them than knock the tire off. They work good for bikes with tires that don't hang way out past the rim. I use them on all GS wheels. I use the mount/dismount bar for tube and tubeless. I have to spoon the super stiff tires on. I have the spool type clamps for dirt bike tires. The spool type work for everything. If I could only have one set it would be spool.
I also like the No Mar spoons. They also will lock the bead. I was going to buy the Cycle Hill but I just figured the kit that came with everything was what I needed. I even changed 15 inch trailer tires with the No Mar. The first few tires will take a little getting used to but after that you can dismount and mount a tire in five minutes with no problem.

Check out the WR250R/X forum: CLICK HERE
Check out the Pacific NW DualSport Forum: CLICK HERE
KTM 530 EXC-R
BMW F800GS

YamWOW! screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 07:59 AM
YamWOW! is offline   Reply With Quote