User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
pcwirepro OP
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
White Rim Moab

Anyone have any info for a novice trip planner? I want to ride the whit rim in a day but I'm not sure about the logistics. I'm considering renting a bike in Moab rather than taking the GS but fuel range looks like an issue. 1.8-2.4 gallons max on the rental units. Any thoughts?

pcwirepro screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 02:37 PM
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,718
There are DS rentals in Moab. The GS is a bit big for that trail. IMO.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
pcwirepro OP
Aspiring Adventurer

Thanks for the info.

I'll keep reading. I may be a little late this year but we'll see. I haven't found bigger bikes for rent down there yet. Hmm. I don't think a little Gas Gas with a 1.8 gallon tank would make the loop.

Can a support rig bring fuel to a mid way point?

Thanks again,
Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
You're not going to go fast on the WRT no matter what size bike you take. Smaller is better IMO as long as it has the range. There's no road access to the trail except from the road off Potash Rd and that's not far from the start (or end depending which direction you go), and it's a jeep trail. From pavement to pavement is about 103 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwirepro View Post
I'll keep reading. I may be a little late this year but we'll see. I haven't found bigger bikes for rent down there yet. Hmm. I don't think a little Gas Gas with a 1.8 gallon tank would make the loop.

Can a support rig bring fuel to a mid way point?

Thanks again,
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
pcwirepro OP
Aspiring Adventurer

So no support rig then

I guess we may need to carry fuel with us or find bikes with better range.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
Big tanks, TONS of water regardless of the time of year. Also, it's an incredibly beautiful place to be, why rush it? Make it two days. Enjoy camping under the stars. Bring lots of water (no, more than that)

Don't forget to get the permit.

The red Moab clay can become seriously impassable when wet. If you don't believe me, watch the UTBDR trailer and pay attention starting around 4:55: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_8C1feaFac It can also get freakishly cold during the off season. April and Oct are you best months. May's good. You'll die in July/Aug.

Did I mention to bring a lot of water?

Moab's one of my most favorite places on earth. Enjoy!

PS: The green chili breakfast burritos at the Moab Diner are killer and the Victorian is a wonderful place to stay on the cheap.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
ThanatosF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
It's a pretty slow going trail. The terrain is mostly rocky or on partially buried rock, so unless you want to get rattled to pieces you gotta take it slow. I used about 2 - 2.5 gallons on a drz400.

If you're going solo let someone know your plan and when you think you'll be off the trail. Tell them if you don't call to get in touch with the park/rangers and let them know you're out on the trail somewhere. If you had a breakdown it could be an interesting experience if you didn't run into anyone! (Anyone mention WATER yet??)

Probably my most unique riding experience. Stopping out there, there is NO sound. No wind, no animals, no people, no nothing. Just heat and rocks. I loved it.

Oh, and I suggest riding clockwise (going down the Shaffer switchbacks first). If you're not comfortable in sand, heading counter-clockwise will require a couple uphill deep sandy sections with drop-offs. It was kind of intimidating just going down. But...I don't have much sand riding experience.
ThanatosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
racedawg
Have bike will travel

Oddometer: 256
Was there last month, a couple of guy's flew in and met us, rented bikes, KTM's 400 & 525 with oversize tanks. They used these guy's, www.elitemotorcycletours.com/

and were guided, we did are own thing. seemed to work out good for them . Not sure if they'll just rent bikes, but worth a try

Enjoy
Racedawg.
racedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
pcwirepro OP
Aspiring Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedawg View Post
Was there last month, a couple of guy's flew in and met us, rented bikes, KTM's 400 & 525 with oversize tanks. They used these guy's, www.elitemotorcycletours.com/

and were guided, we did are own thing. seemed to work out good for them . Not sure if they'll just rent bikes, but worth a try

Enjoy
Racedawg.
Fan Freakin Tastic! I love this site. I just sent them an email about rentals. Anything to report about the ride?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
You can see just about all the beauty that Moab has to offer on the WRT. I rode it last year on a 800 GS and made the trip from Moab on a little over 3 gals. of gas. The trail is fairly rough and you will be doing a lot of looking so you will get good gas mileage going slow. There is really deep sand when you drop down to the river and some other sandy places as you go along the river. A couple of steep, rocky and sandy places that will make you glad you went clockwise. I had some worn TCK80 tires and it was a workout in the deep sand. Watch for bighorn sheep aound the Shaffer switchbacks. There were a lot of bicycles when we were there with some chase vehicles. There are fewer people during the week compared to the weekend when it can become a zoo.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
racedawg
Have bike will travel

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwirepro View Post
Fan Freakin Tastic! I love this site. I just sent them an email about rentals. Anything to report about the ride?
The entire place has Jaw dropping beauty around every corner. We didn't get up on the WRT but spent 3 days better than 100 mi a day covering as much single track as possible.
From Canyon lands to Soverign trail system to the La Sals. This was the first time there on the bikes and we wanted to get the lay of the land .

You will not be disappointed
racedawg is offline   Reply With Quote