Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
MathewC OP
All adders are puffs

Oddometer: 417
Best way to clean old gas sludge from a gas tank?

Hello Gents,

I recently acquired a 2002 Honda 919. It's got low miles and is in great shape but it sat for a very very long time with gas in the tank.

What do?

Here's a picture of the disaster. The clear spot you see is where I pushed the congealed gunk aside. I don't believe there is any rust in it. Just a lot of evaporated gas.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,753
I've always used a few cans of carb cleanner and two hand fulls small rocks. Shake it all around dump it out and do it over again till its cleaned up the wash out with gas a few times. I'm sure you can find something to pore in there insted of spraying a can of carb cleaner into the tank. And the rocks are just to slide around and help cut all the crud alose.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
MathewC OP
All adders are puffs

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
I've always used a few cans of carb cleanner and two hand fulls small rocks. Shake it all around dump it out and do it over again till its cleaned up the wash out with gas a few times. I'm sure you can find something to pore in there insted of spraying a can of carb cleaner into the tank. And the rocks are just to slide around and help cut all the crud alose.
I don't want to put anything in the tank that will potentially scratch/dent the inside or get stuck inside. I'd use ball berrings but again, it's not rust.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I have used a few methods here and there over the years, but I think what I would do now is take it to a radiator repair shop and see if they can clean it. Think maybe they steam it out? Whatever they do it works well. A buddy of mine plays with old tractors quite a bit and this is what he does now, and the rad shop always gets the tank spotless on the inside.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
I have used a few methods here and there over the years, but I think what I would do now is take it to a radiator repair shop and see if they can clean it. Think maybe they steam it out? Whatever they do it works well. A buddy of mine plays with old tractors quite a bit and this is what he does now, and the rad shop always gets the tank spotless on the inside.

+1 . . . . a rad shop will be able to get it sqeecky clean toot sweet
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,992
Vinegar. Soak for two days, change. Soak for two more days. Slosh it around every few hours or twice a day. Leave on side, turn upside down. Finish.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewC View Post
I don't want to put anything in the tank that will potentially scratch/dent the inside or get stuck inside. I'd use ball berrings but again, it's not rust.
i didn't say use big pointy rocks. And I use rocks because I have them on hand, i don't have ball berrings.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,010
I don't know if there is a best way. If it were my old bike and wanted to keep the paint and inside tank coating, I would start with something relatively safe that can dissolve the gasoline residue such as mineral spirits (i.e. environmentally friendly paint thinner); next, try some VM& Painters Naptha; next up would be regular gas and aviation fuel; next... pine sol cut 50% with water. If that didn't work, then straight pine sol - which would probably strip any tank coating. Lastly, use some superclean - which will remove any and all coatings inside the tank along with the old gas sludge.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,227
+1 on the Pine-Sol 50/50. Had good luck using with carburetors, so might be worth a go on a tank. Same sort of mung. Let it soak a few days, shake it around every so often. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 444
Bb

I have had good luck cleaning old gas tanks with very hot water with dish washing liquid and a tube of BB's. Pour the water soap in the tank add the BB's and shake, replace the hot water and soap from time to time and most of the curd will come out. Rinse with clear hot water and let dry.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,955
Um, not trying to be too smart, but why not just use gas?

As solvents go it's pretty harsh, in ready supply, and should have the same stuff as whats in there. Even @3.50 p/gal it's about the cheapest out there. Plus the tank is made for it.

You can get a decent kit of bottle brushes at HF that could help out without being too harsh.

If you use a hand full of screws and bolts, you can easily fish them out with magnet.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!

mjydrafter screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 04:16 PM Reason: additional info
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 880
I've cleaned/sealed dozens of gas tanks. I use a strong detergent (any kind will do)
with hot water. If there are heavy deposits, I use a small immersion heater:
http://tinyurl.com/d9yvn2u
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #13
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,723
Acetone...........cleaned a inboard boat tank with "gas" that had been in the tank for 12 years........the sludge was 1/2 thick on the bottom. Acetone melts the sludge. Soak type carb cleaner (stinky stuff that comes with a nylon basket but it destroys paint), one drop on the paint can lift the paint in seconds (rap the tank in cling plastic rap), Rad shop will work too.

Skip the mineral spirits, naptha they don,t work on the tough sludge.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
Acetone...........cleaned a inboard boat tank with "gas" that had been in the tank for 12 years........the sludge was 1/2 thick on the bottom. Acetone melts the sludge. Soak type carb cleaner (stinky stuff that comes with a nylon basket but it destroys paint), one drop on the paint can lift the paint in seconds (rap the tank in cling plastic rap), Rad shop will work too.

Skip the mineral spirits, naptha they don,t work on the tough sludge.
Not good; acetone is extremely flammable, pricey, melts brain cells... Any detergent will
remove old gasoline sludge.
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
jbhawley
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
+1 on this. safe and effective.

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote