Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #16
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,360
Remove the tank and remove the fittings. Fill the tank with hot water and Super Clean, a very strong alkaline industrial cleaner. Wear gloves to protect your skin, Super Clean loves protein and will dry your skin uncomfortably. Agitate the tank.

Repeat as needed.

Super Clean is available at Wal-Mart and auto-parts stores. It is water soluable and will leave your tank very clean. I would follow with fresh fuel and a bit of Techron.

While you're at it, the remaining Super Clean will remove grease and oil from your driveway.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
MathewC OP
All adders are puffs

Oddometer: 417
Lots of good suggestions. I think I'll call a few radiator shops and see what they can do. If not that, then I'll go the hot water and mild soap route, followed by gas.

I don't want to put anything but liquid in the tank, and I don't want to strip it's coating.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,150
Have you tried taking a pressure washer wand to it?

If it is flaking off, get some flakes out of it and just see what dissolves them easily. As mentioned it might just be gasoline.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
MathewC OP
All adders are puffs

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Have you tried taking a pressure washer wand to it?

If it is flaking off, get some flakes out of it and just see what dissolves them easily. As mentioned it might just be gasoline.

Another great idea. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #20
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Radiator shop, vinegar, or trisodium phosphate. You can buy TSP at any hardware stores. It's the detergent additive that they removed from laundry detergent, but in the 70's it really got whites white. It does great on any kind of petrol based stuff.
I used it on the tank of a 54 Ford that had been sitting for a dozen years.

Wish I'd thought of a radiator shop. Time:money is right with the rad shop, but if you're a DIY guy, it's hard to beat vinegar (for rust and scale) or TSP for petroleum based removal.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Radiator shop, vinegar, or trisodium phosphate. You can buy TSP at any hardware stores. It's the detergent additive that they removed from laundry detergent, but in the 70's it really got whites white. It does great on any kind of petrol based stuff.
I used it on the tank of a 54 Ford that had been sitting for a dozen years.

Wish I'd thought of a radiator shop. Time:money is right with the rad shop, but if you're a DIY guy, it's hard to beat vinegar (for rust and scale) or TSP for petroleum based removal.
Interesting. I have a '38 Chevy that has been sitting for the same amount of time. Mechanic took the original gas tank off and cleaned it out, not sure how...my Dad thinks he boiled it. Sad thing is, after the engine was restored, fuel line and tank were cleaned, my Dad left it that way again. I don't know how much fuel is in it now, and I will be doing a lot of cleaning.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #22
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 313
Pull the tank and slosh some kerosene in there for a bit. Drain and repeat...it works.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #23
El Duque
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
i hear is is safe and effective...cleaner and rust remover

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallo...ver-96431.html
Old 11-25-2012, 03:22 AM   #24
AndyGilbert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I looked through and saw a lot of good ideas. I do caution about vinegar though: if left in the tank it can cause rust. We use it at work to take care of baking soda left after the blast cabinet and when it gets on steel it rusts badly and much quicker than water.

It looks like your sludge should come out nicely with hot water/detergent but if it doesn't, don't sweat. Resealing the tank is pretty easy with this stuff: http://www.eastwood.com/ew-gas-tank-...or-cycles.html

I have used it on a friends MC tank and it worked awesome. When we did the job, the instructions called for muriatic acid to clean the tank in prep for the new sealant. THAT, is wicked stuff but works well.
AndyGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #25
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleDoc59 View Post
Not good; acetone is extremely flammable, pricey, melts brain cells... Any detergent will
remove old gasoline sludge.
Any detergent.......not likely..........if it was that easy we would not be here..........

Disagree...........get the facts straight.........flammable yes.....but not any more than gas.........melting brain cells guess that why it is the main solvent in nail polish remover.

Acetone is used as a paint thiner and solvent very common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #26
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
Any detergent.......not likely..........if it was that easy we would not be here..........

Disagree...........get the facts straight.........flammable yes.....but not any more than gas.........melting brain cells guess that why it is the main solvent in nail polish remover.

Acetone is used as a paint thiner and solvent very common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone
I see no point in using acetone, or similar, to clean petrol residue from tanks. Having cleaned/sealed over 200 tanks
(one yesterday..) the only time acetone or some other solvent is needed, is when the tank has
already been sealed, and the coating failed... I use a cheap detergent that is suggested for pressure washing,
($7 a gallon), usually with 8 oz to a gallon of water. If the gunk in the tank is thick, I drop in a 300
watt immersion heater. Give it a shake from time to time, let it sit a few hours, rinse and it's clean...
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote