Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #46
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
OK, go take a motorcycle course with your bike. Matters little what one you take. You will be under an instructors supervision and will get critiqued on what you are doing with your bike and your controlling of it. You will learn a whole lot. Different courses will teach you different things of course, but they will all help you to better control your bike.

If you can't find that, get with a friend who knows how to ride well and work with that friend on enhancing your skills. Have them watch you braking and turning and such.

And then for yourself, go practice things. Every time you ride. Personally, I pick a subject for each ride, and work on it during each ride. What I work on varies with each ride and what I think I need to improve the most.
ItalianRider,
I might have missed it but I didn't see a response from you to foxtrapper's suggestion especially the first and third part.
Those two make a lot of sense to me. I don't think that you need a lot of improvement, just some fine tuning.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #47
ogklx400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
maybe it is also the super wimpy 1st gear wasnt ment for you get the triple speed option 1st gear
ogklx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #48
CanadaBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
When I first got my new-to-me 09 650 twin, I felt the handling was very difficult in the corners. The battle wings were pretty worn, flat in the centre, but still lots of tread left. I didn't believe this was the issue. I was wrong.

I put new Tourance EXPs on, and my god, the bike now eats the corners. It's like I have a new bike. Way more fun in the corners, rips right through. With the BWs, the bike felt like it wanted to stay fully upright and ride off the corner. I had to fight to get the bike over. I guess that flat centre was the issue.

Only other issue, is the gear change from 3rd to 2nd coming into a slow tight 90 degree turn on the back roads. If I go in fast and downshift to 2nd, the speed change from 3rd is so much, it chatters my back end pretty hard. The tire breaks a little bit, and hops over. I think it's just that I'm hitting the perfect (or not so perfect) rpm & gearing rations coming in. It happens a lot. Maybe too much space between 2nd & 3rd?

Anyway, I love how my 650 twin handles. KOW KOW KOW
CanadaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #49
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,165
Having read the OPs posts and his replies I'm leaning back towards mechanical.

Are you 100% sure the bike is fine? The tyres aren't squared off? Are they on the right way round? The suspension isn't fucked? the steering damper (if it has one) buggered?

Maybe reset the suspension to factory defaults? Maybe whoever set it was a fat bastard?

Whack it up on the centre stand and test the wheel bearings? Alignment?

Google "motorbike handling issues" and work through the basics.

I find it hard to believe it's you. Not to that extent. Sure bikes are different but only so far. Some are faster, some stop better, some turn in sweeter but at the end of the day, with a few notable exceptions, a bike's a bike until you start riding it in the upper quartiles and it sounds like you're not doing that.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard

catweasel67 screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 12:16 AM
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #50
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
I will still say, don't blame the bike. I went for a couple of hours ride yesterday, being unusually warm, 9 celsius, for this time of the year, i already had the bike put away for winter, a month ago. Anyway, an hour into my ride, i stopped for a leak, and left the bike running, on the side of the road, climbed back on, i've got 990 adv, which is fairly high. Put in gear, clutch out, stalled the bastard! Nearly toppled the fucking thing, as i was on sloping ground. Just one of those things, happends to all of us every now and then, it doesn't mean there is something wrong with the motorcycle though!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #51
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Lots of good advice and thoughts here. +1 to your acknowledging that a less powerful but different bike has a learning curve. Since I too have moved to the F700 maybe I can give a little perspective- although I'm arriving from a thumper F650 and 200 cc Scooter not a tuned fast street bike.

About preload set up: just for completeness sake, reset the preload to factory specs (look in the manual... I believe they have you turn the preload to completely hard then back off by x [15?] clicks). This set up is for a single rider of 175lbs. you might change it for your weight. Remember to also change the other suspension thingy too if its a big change.

Stalling: atomicalex and others have some good suggestions. I found that the dealer's set up has the clutch engaging immediately which caused me to stall or pop the clutch. The service manager showed me how to adjust this so the clutch now engages after I've pulled in the lever a little bit. It's easy to do- no tools required. Also the clutch is your friend, feathering it/ dragging it is ok. If that doesn't help, get thee to a dealer

Tires: I also have the battle wings. Check the pressure! Temperature changes in the fall are making my tire pressures fluctuate a lot and this effects the for handling as well. Btw, they have been great on gravelly and Marbly roads.

And how about some parking lot practice. It's really ok to do. I can imagine the riding characteristics between the old and new bike are really different; it was different for me going from old thumper to new version with slightly different set up. Let us know how its going!

terraunbound screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 11:29 PM Reason: stupid autocorrect.
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #52
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Troubleshoot, instead of just throwing money and effort at it without thinking things through first.

WHY is the bike stalling? Is it stalling before you release the clutch lever? Is it stalling because you let the clutch lever out too quick? Is it stalling because the clutch engagement is grabby instead of smooth? Is it stalling because you don't give it enough gas? Is it stalling because the fuelling is messed up? Is it stalling because there is a miss in the ignition? Is it stalling because the flywheel is much lighter than you're used to? Is it stalling because the bike has almost NO low-end torque compared to your old bike? Figure this out before throwing money or random training time and effort at it.

Even if it stalls in mid-turn, you should be able to pull the clutch lever in to keep it rolling...unless you haven't actually gotten the bike rolling just yet. Keep 2 fingers on the clutch lever while turning, so you can feather if needed. Is the new seat high for you? Is the weight up high for you?

When the bike low-sided, were you braking, applying power, or coasting? Were the tires scrubbed in all the way to the edge of the tread yet? What was your reaction right as it broke loose? Were there any contaminants/bumps/dips on the road? Are you used to sliding a bike around in the dirt?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #53
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,897
Good point - when I was on the F650 Twin in training, I was able to restart that thing while rolling without much difficulty. remembering to do so was another story. dur..