ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > ADVrider annual rallies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #256
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer
 
bobfab's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Westminster CO
Oddometer: 1,136
Thanks for responding Ben. I will be paying registration shortly and will just call the resort and see what the story is.
__________________
Project Labor of Love: 1972 CT90 Rebuild
Current Stable: VFR800 | CRF250L | KTM200SX
bobfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #257
AutoXfreak
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AutoXfreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 111
Just registered. Cant wait!


I would like to link up with a group that knows the area. I live in Denver but have only been in that neck of the woods to climb Mt. Harvard. Any advise on maps too? Im on a 950A, looking mainly for Dualsport/Dirtroad stuff. Any info in advance would be great!

Thanks!
__________________
950 Adventure
AutoXfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #258
eddyturn
Wannabe
 
eddyturn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Hesperus, CO
Oddometer: 1,406
Trails Illustrated/Nat Geo maps of the area. Benchmark Colorado atlas.
__________________
All things being equal... fat people use more soap
eddyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #259
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
COXR650L's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXfreak View Post
Just registered. Cant wait!


I would like to link up with a group that knows the area. I live in Denver but have only been in that neck of the woods to climb Mt. Harvard. Any advise on maps too? Im on a 950A, looking mainly for Dualsport/Dirtroad stuff. Any info in advance would be great!

Thanks!
Got you down, looking forward to it. Let me know if need anything.

What Eddyturn said about the maps. So how hard of a ride are you wanting to do, pretty easy gravel or "what the hell Im on a KTM" kind of dual-sport ride?

I think eddyturn is going to be doing a big bike friendly ride, maybe he'll post up with his route idea
__________________
Dubinky.com Enduro, Trail, Dual-Sport and Adventure Riding Apparel.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #260
AutoXfreak
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AutoXfreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 111
That looks perfect!

__________________
950 Adventure

AutoXfreak screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 04:48 PM
AutoXfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #261
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr
 
dmac1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: In the Ponderosas
Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXfreak View Post
Just registered. Cant wait!


I would like to link up with a group that knows the area. I live in Denver but have only been in that neck of the woods to climb Mt. Harvard. Any advise on maps too? Im on a 950A, looking mainly for Dualsport/Dirtroad stuff. Any info in advance would be great!

Thanks!
From my earlier post, another map alternative:

Speaking of routes...I stopped by the store today and found that Latitude 40 has updated the Crested Butte/Taylor Park maps! You need to watch out though because they may still have outdated ones on the shelf (the REI I was at did). You want the 3rd edition with copyright of 2013. The 2010 one will NOT have all the relatively recent closures on them and there are quite a few.

Another note for those unfamiliar with the area...if you're riding singletrack I suggest you get the map mentioned above (its purple) instead of the Crested Butte/Aspen/Gunnison map which is light blue. I find the latter covers too big of an area, so detail is lost.

BUT....maybe if you're planning some big rides...or maybe some dual sporting, you'll want the big map. You decide.

The best news is both are updated. The light blue one was done last year I believe.
__________________
RwR | BRC | COHVCO | USA-All
2006 KTM 450 EXC
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #262
eddyturn
Wannabe
 
eddyturn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Hesperus, CO
Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXfreak View Post
That looks perfect!

That does look sweet. Not sure where that is though. I was thinking maybe a day out and about on the dirt roads of South Park maybe lunch in Salida. Another day going over Cottonwood to Taylor Park then south to Tincup. From Tincup over Cumberland Pass to Pitkin. Over Waunita Pass then east to Black Sage Pass then from the bottom of that climb up old Monarch Pass road. If weather and time are working in our favor, maybe going south to Sargents and then over Marshall Pass instead of old Monarch. More dirt but more idiots on ATVs. Prolly taking the COBDR route southbound to get back home in Durango. Hopefully there will still be some forest left to ride through.
__________________
All things being equal... fat people use more soap
eddyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #263
binskies
Gnarly Adventurer
 
binskies's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
That does look sweet. Not sure where that is though. I was thinking maybe a day out and about on the dirt roads of South Park maybe lunch in Salida. Another day going over Cottonwood to Taylor Park then south to Tincup. From Tincup over Cumberland Pass to Pitkin. Over Waunita Pass then east to Black Sage Pass then from the bottom of that climb up old Monarch Pass road. If weather and time are working in our favor, maybe going south to Sargents and then over Marshall Pass instead of old Monarch. More dirt but more idiots on ATVs. Prolly taking the COBDR route southbound to get back home in Durango. Hopefully there will still be some forest left to ride through.
I'm relatively new to dual sporting and am on a KLR. The rides you're talking about seem about what I'm looking for. Nothing too difficult, just enjoyable back country riding. I may have to tag along with you. I don't know the roads out there at all.
__________________

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!"
binskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #264
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
COXR650L's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXfreak View Post
That looks perfect!

Thats Ptarmigan Pass, up by Leadville. There is a whole network of good two track stuff that would make a really fun loop with Mosquito Pass and Weston Pass.


Eddyturns route will be really good for some easy dirt road stuff, but on a 950 I would really want to do the route I tired to do earlier on my 950.

I think St Elmo to Hancock pass up to the Alpine Tunnel and then decide a loop from there would be a lot of fun, maybe Taylor Pass into Aspen for lunch and then do the twisties on Independence Pass and if there is time hit Ptarmigan, Mosquito or what ever when you drop out by leadville. It would be a great scenic tour that is a little more challenging wtih some cool mines and ghost towns in between


Anyone else have a good moderate big bike route suggestion?
__________________
Dubinky.com Enduro, Trail, Dual-Sport and Adventure Riding Apparel.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride

COXR650L screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 02:56 PM
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #265
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
COXR650L's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,300
CJ Designs Sponsoring Westfest



CJ Designs is a Westfest Sponsor and has sent some of his sweet custom KTM accessories. CJ Designs is an ADVrider company and many know about the amazing custom work Craig (inmate CJracer) has been doing on KTMs over the past few years.

Craig will be getting a lot more of my business, especually now that I have an 04 950 I know his hardened shaft water pump kit will be getting put in my bike at some point here soon

CJ Designs has given us 4 sets of his KTM Foot Peg Extensions for Westfest These will be some awesome prizes for the saturday raffle







Thanks for the support Craig!!!!




__________________
Dubinky.com Enduro, Trail, Dual-Sport and Adventure Riding Apparel.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #266
AutoXfreak
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AutoXfreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Thats Ptarmigan Pass, up by Leadville. There is a whole network of good two track stuff that would make a really fun loop with Mosquito Pass and Weston Pass.


Eddyturns route will be really good for some easy dirt road stuff, but on a 950 I would really want to do the route I tired to do earlier on my 950.

I think St Elmo to Hancock pass up to the Alpine Tunnel and then decide a loop from there would be a lot of fun, maybe Taylor Pass into Aspen for lunch and then do the twisties on Independence Pass and if there is time hit Ptarmigan, Mosquito or what ever when you drop out by leadville. It would be a great scenic tour that is a little more challenging wtih some cool mines and ghost towns in between


Anyone else have a good moderate big bike route suggestion?
That sounds like a great route. I will make sure I get some maps and look into the route details. I have seen a few bigger bikes make it to the top of Mosquito Pass, is it a difficult pass to complete? Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. This week I will start compiling some of these suggestions and possibly post a route and see what you guys think.

__________________
950 Adventure
AutoXfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #267
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird
 
Trl Rdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lincoln, NE - The Tax me state
Oddometer: 1,989
Mosquito can be a handful. I went up last August on a XR650R, one dab in 12 minutes of rock crawling.
Pilot dug in about 2 switchbacks from top. Katbeanz made it on his L.
Did I say their are lots of rocks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2 XR650r(s) 2001 & 2002 Plated
GL18HPM9 Titanium (Gold Wing)
CRF230F for the tight shit!
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #268
waybill
cheap thrill
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: N. Fla.
Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Anyone else have a good moderate big bike route suggestion?
I'd like to make it out for this but can't say yet. Here's an easy but scenic big bike loop. I'm based in Salida and start there but you can turn it around. Across from the Salida Hospital take cr175 then 185 (Aspen Ridge), 187, and L on 307 into B.V. Then Cottonwood, Cumberland, Waunita, Black Sage, and Old Monarch Passes as were already mentioned. Including Alpine Tunnel is worthwhile and makes it a pretty full day.

Aspen Ridge







Cumberland Pass



Alpine Tunnel



Waunita



Black Sage



Old Monarch



and from there you can coast the 20 miles into Salida.
__________________
Bill

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #269
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
COXR650L's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,300
Thanks for the suggestion, I LOVE those pictures, it looks like a great route

I hope you can make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill View Post
I'd like to make it out for this but can't say yet. Here's an easy but scenic big bike loop. I'm based in Salida and start there but you can turn it around. Across from the Salida Hospital take cr175 then 185 (Aspen Ridge), 187, and L on 307 into B.V. Then Cottonwood, Cumberland, Waunita, Black Sage, and Old Monarch Passes as were already mentioned. Including Alpine Tunnel is worthwhile and makes it a pretty full day.

Aspen Ridge







Cumberland Pass



Alpine Tunnel



Waunita



Black Sage



Old Monarch



and from there you can coast the 20 miles into Salida.
__________________
Dubinky.com Enduro, Trail, Dual-Sport and Adventure Riding Apparel.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #270
greenramp
Airborne
 
greenramp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Firestone, CO
Oddometer: 96
Any good DUBINKY coupons for purchasing adventure apparel for WestFest?
__________________
DRZ400E
KLR650
greenramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014