ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #451
delta21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
The bourbon master
delta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #452
delta21
Gnarly Adventurer

Lenny's shop
Old 08-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #453
delta21
Gnarly Adventurer

Drinking and dancing with Full Moon Float covering the song "Wagon Wheel"
Old 08-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #454
delta21
Gnarly Adventurer

Some back road in CO
Old 08-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #455
delta21
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 08-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #456
Quackersnacker
Style points -10

Oddometer: 13
Thumb

Hoping for lots more pics!!
Quackersnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #457
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta21 View Post
Welcome to Aspen
I paid $5.59 over by Crater Lake last Sunday.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #458
skidxr
Excuses

Oddometer: 372
We made it home. Had a bit of delay due to this guy being a Hooligan and me being guilty by association...

We had a great time and met some awesome folks !!! See ya all next time around.

Thank you Ben for all your effort !

Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #459
in2dabluz
ARTFUL DODGER

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta21 View Post
The Liver is evil and it must be punished!

Drinking may cause memory loss,
or worse, memory loss..

I had a great time at WF and met many wonderful people that I can call BROs now..
Keep in touch and see ya out there somewhere..

Storm
'08 KLR 685 "Hi Ho Silver"
'91 XR250L "Scout"
in2dabluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #460
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidxr View Post
We made it home. Had a bit of delay due to this guy being a Hooligan and me being guilty by association...

We had a great time and met some awesome folks !!! See ya all next time around.

Thank you Ben for all your effort !

Hey guys. It was good talking to you this morning. Just so we're clear; was that a Double Performance Award? For the record, none for me; despite a rather spirited ride home.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #461
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 775

This was taken about the same time as delta 21's shot...

Was a great weekend! Many many thanks to Ben, his family, and all the attendees!
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #462
greenramp
Airborne

Oddometer: 102
Great event with great people. Thanks Ben for all your efforts!
Pic from Saturday

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #463
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,360
Wow, what a great time! I just started riding last year, and turned 2,000 miles on the lifetime motorcycle odometer during this trip.

Big thanks to Ben and his family for handling this whole deal. Well done! Great job by the Arrowhead Point folks too!

Friday: Left the house mid-morning, stopped at the BV auto parts store before getting to campground to get a tail lamp bulb for the DR. Came out to find radiator fluid spewing from the truck's radiator. Long story short...NAPA was able to order a replacement from Denver, and have it dropped off at the campground next day. Headed for the campground, checked in, loaded in, went for a short ride in the Four Mile area. First time there, and the trails were great! Got back to the campground with twenty minutes to spare before the last bus left for town....missed it by about fifteen seconds, talk about punctual! Went over to the pavilion, and met Pat who was nice enough to give me a ride into town. Got in on the last tour of the distillery, and ended up getting a little, umm, "over-served". Luckily Pablo and his wife were nice enough to give me a ride back to camp.

Saturday: A little green from the previous night, but nothing a fine breakfast and copious amounts of coffee at the pavilion couldn't cure. Missed the 5 pass ride, and headed out with Pablo's group for the American Flag ride. Thanks to everyone for helping me tough it out, especially Dirty Doug who rode sweep, and helped me through "the easiest singletrack in Colorado" (Lillypond). Saturday night, I was physically wrecked. Too tired to do more than eat and sleep. Didn't even want to think about riding on Sunday.

Sunday: Woke up feeling great! and started thinking about what I could ride before heading home. That pesky radiator still needed to be changed out, but it only took about an hour, so no big deal. Loaded out, locked up the truck, and headed out for a big loop around 4 Mile. Great trails over there, but watch out for some of the water crossings...they're deeper than they appear. Back to the campground, loaded up the bike and drove home without incident.

So that's my story. My helmet cam captured about 1000 pictures, here's ten of them......

Headed out Saturday morning

First stop after gassing up in Taylor Park

"Colorado's easiest single-track"

Top of the Flag

Doug and crew fixing his simultaneous flat tires

Headed back solo after splitting off from the group

Sunday morning tunnels

_CJ screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 12:49 PM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #464
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,772
George

I just called George's room at the hospital. His brother answered. George just got out of surgery. Everything seems to have gone fine with the surgery at this point, but George is still real groggy from the anesthesia. If you want to talk to him, it might be best to call tomorrow.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #465
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,184
My WESTFEST experience

Got in Thurs afternoon after a nice all day drive from Tucson with Skip (RPage11).
Had a little bit of jetting refinement to the 2T Thurs before it got dark.
Already had the 525 set up or so I thought, and Skips 450X was running great at altitude.

Friday Skip, Myself and Gene (all the way from Long Beach on his WR250, no trailer/truck required) went for a ride.

Cottonwood with Skip and Gene

A little detour before Cottonwood Pass then stopped at the Ranger Station just before Taylor Park Res, over to Tincup for lunch & pie at Frenchy's. Then over Tincup Pass proper to see what we missed a couple years earlier while following TellyDoug up Tincup on our big fat bikes during RMAR.

Skip at Frenchy's

Gene

Tincup was nice, happy to be doing it on my wee little 525 instead of that fat F800. I'm sure Skip liked it a lot better than when he tried it on his 1200GS also.

The hail at Tincup, just starting

Gene at Tincup Summit

Hustling down

We had gotten to the summit of Tincup just as hail began to fall. We decided not to linger and cut our days ride short and hustled down the South side towards Chalk Creek and St Elmo, then back to Arrowhead to clean up before heading into town and of course the Distillery.
About 90 miles today, great.

Saturday I joined Pablo's group of 10 riders and we headed over Cottonwood for some of that singletrack we all seem to crave, until we get into the thick of it that is.

I was going to ride my 200 2T for several reasons, one was that my 525 was not quite jetted right during Fridays ride and the 2T was. Two it was much lighter and would be like bringing a gun to a knife fight in the singletrack.

The group left camp at 0940 and within 3 miles my poor 2T was running very bad at the topend. So I waved off to Doug the sweep and headed back to Arrowhead.

When I got back to camp and shut down the 2T, it had unusual smoke coming from the pipe and I thought that maybe it was time for a topend job.

I transfered my tools back onto the 525, filled it with gas and soon I was headed back towards Taylor Park. Maybe I can catch up to the group, if not then I'll regroup at the Trading Post. Maybe find some riders to join up with.

I sure wish I had a different needle jet for the 525, but all the way over to Taylor Park Res it ran great, even at the top of Cottonwood Pass.

I found the group at the Trading Post and topped off my tank. Ready for some singletrack. My bike ran good until pretty late in the ride, then it suffered in the mid range just like it had Friday. I wonder why it would run so good for so long at Alt before showing signs? Beyond me.

I'm not sure where exactly we went but we did pass by the Lily Pond then up to American Flag Mtn. Very cool up there. Lots of group pix.

We thought we were at the top...
Austin TX guy 1 (name eludes me)

Chad

Eloy on the 650 super tanker

But Pablo came along and said this isn't the top, and roared on by.
I guess there is more. Carl cruizin up on his DR 350.

The top of American Flag Mtn

John getting his pic taken by Chad.

Looking across to where we had just been. You can see the quads there.

Doug there on the right, fastest tire changer in the west I hear.

Doug

Pablo taking a group shot of us by the flag.

The group split up and when it all shook out 4 of us went left off American Flag and the other 6 riders went right. I think that left turn took us to Old Italian Creek Road. Then I think we went along Reno Ridge Rd or Reno Divide Rd. I'm sure Pablo knows.

Here's Pablo doing a quick fix on his chain guard after that scary (to me) rock pile back there. No pix as I was too scered to take out my camera.

Pablo, Austin TX guy 2 and Austin TX guy 1. Sorry if we got introduced I forgot your names.

Austin 2 was borrowing Chads XR 250 since his 525 died Friday somehow. H's only 6'-5" or something along those lines so that bike fit him just right.....man he rode that little bike well.

I had a great time, sorry I wimped out on that rocky section and thanks Pablo for getting my bike through it. That squished vehicle at the bottom there was messin' with my head.
About 140 miles for the day. I was whooped.

Skip and Gene had gone down towards Four Mile and on to Salida. When I got back they were just getting cleaned up.
My turn, then over to the Pavillion for some grub, socializing, drinking, raffling, dancing etc.
What a day, what a weekend, what a bunch of nice riding.

The bikes all fit in the truck again, somehow.

Thanks to Ben and all the people I didn't get to meet that made this such a great event.

I am glad to hear about George's progress. His bike was getting loaded onto his trailer Sat night and there were lots of concerned folks asking about his condition. I hope to hear updates as they become available. Get well soon.

We got home to Tucson late last night and left all the bikes loaded until this morning.
We went to unload everything around 10am, and by 10:30 we were drenched in sweat. No more cool mornings with a jacket needed. The one nice thing about being home is all the thick air my lungs get to breath in, they missed the lower elevation for sure. I don't know how y'all ride all day without an O2 tank.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project

yzfcathy screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 05:07 PM
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote