User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,195
Beware of Road Paint

Went for a jog tonight in the light rain. Hit some recently painted crosswalks and almost busted my butt - slick as ice! I knew road paint could be slick - often cautious on my motorcycle. But this was super slick. Anyone ever go down from hitting slick road paint?
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,259
I would never admit to anything like that.

But, yes... fallen on my butt more than once on wet painted concrete.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
scotteroni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I had something like that happen a few months ago. It was a sunny dry day and I came to a complete stop at an intersection. Went to put my foot down and felt my foot slide out from under me almost dumping the bike. I looked down and noticed a white paint stripe that had some real glittery shiny surface to it. I wonder how many other riders have fallen over in that spot. Real hazard.
scotteroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,411
FacePlant discussion from a first hand mishap:

Glass Powder, Fog Lines and an epic high side
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854137

--Bill
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
FacePlant discussion from a first hand mishap:

Glass Powder, Fog Lines and an epic high side
Yabutt, wasn't that from LOOSE powder left over from painting, and not the lines themselves?

And yes, the plastic-y type lines can be slippery when wet. Though I never actually dropped on one.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,912
Yeah. THey are especially bad when they are NEW. I drifted the rear of my Miata sideways pulling off a campus road earlier this week because the crosswalk paint was two days old. This was in the DRY and I wasn't even accelerating hard (it was very cold fwiw) but when the rear tires crossed the lines under power they snapped sideways! It was like being on ice.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
augerdin
I do my own crashing

Oddometer: 88
Slick wet paint stripes - last week I spent three days in court as a juror in a case in which someone was bringing suit against the company that painted the stop-bar in a parking lot. Plaintiff claimed injuries from slipping on the rain wetted paint and claimed negligence on the applicators part. Interesting case, very educational. Have I ever slipped on this stuff? Yes. And my tires have let go on rain wetted paint stripes. Gotto be carefull. (The plaintiff never proved negligence)
augerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Laconic
Hard Core

Oddometer: 15,775
Stay out of the mustard (and the mayo).
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
60wag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
At work we have an obsessive focus on safety. Since practically no injuries occur in the building any more, the attention has turned to slips and falls in the parking lot. With the ice and snow season upon us, they decided that dousing the lot with mag-chloride deicer must make things safer. Now the lot is asfault and is regularly sealed with shiny thick sealer. Add to that repainting the parking lines and cross walks. Now we have a stupid slick surface that is coated with a oil-like diecer. Walking across the lot now resembles a hockey rink despite the lack of ice - the crosswalks are a liability case waiting to happen.

"If you know what you are doing, you aren't learning anything." A. Lincoln
60wag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
At work we have an obsessive focus on safety. Since practically no injuries occur in the building any more, the attention has turned to slips and falls in the parking lot. With the ice and snow season upon us, they decided that dousing the lot with mag-chloride deicer must make things safer. Now the lot is asfault and is regularly sealed with shiny thick sealer. Add to that repainting the parking lines and cross walks. Now we have a stupid slick surface that is coated with a oil-like diecer. Walking across the lot now resembles a hockey rink despite the lack of ice - the crosswalks are a liability case waiting to happen.
They used that stuff all over the roads in winter when I lived in Seoul. Nothing like killer traffic combined with oily, wet, cold roads to make for some "interesting" riding conditions!

'14 KLR650 New Edition
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I dont remember the lines always being this slick....

it seems like a few years ago they switched from just painting on the lines to some new process that does not look like just paint, it is really slick and it also is raised, some kind of material that gets bonded to the road surface.
oldschoolsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
zpooch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Yep, damp morning roads while changing lanes hit the center stripes and high sided real quick!
zpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,195
It does seem to be a mistake in road construction. Today they are raised, slicker and wider.

Here is one petition I found via Google search on the subject:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/238/5...ti-skid-paint/
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #14
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
Tar snakes (crack filler) are just as bad.....even on hot days they get slimy and I can feel my back tire walk about a bit.. It can be a bit unnerving when you see a large patch of it in a corner....
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,814
Most road markings that are expected to be driven on ( crosswalks, turn arrows, even the dashed line between lanes on some highways) aren't paint, they're torched down plastic, supposedly for better wear resistance (So they have to maintain them less. I'm not sure this is strictly working on busy roads... I digress.) But even paint, after several years of build-up, can become a raised, solid, slick surface.

I'm told that the application directions for crack sealant are a) not parallel to direction of travel, and b) no wider than two inches. Yeah, I never see either of those violated...

Then seal coat, which is becoming a popular parking lot maintenance technique around here. We all know about chip seal- throw down a layer of tar/sealant, sprinkle small gravel on, sweep off excess (or hey, let the traffic do that!) which is bad enough, but recently more companies are just doing a sealant layer. OK when dry- one big skating rink when wet.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote