Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #151
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
Ask the local shop if they price match. Mine does.
Mine actually beat on line pricing for a pair Olympia pants last year. They came down a lot on a Synergy jacket liner, but were still too high for my budget. I'll always give them first chance.
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #152
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoornate65 View Post
So I've been shopping around the local dealerships for my next bike (have only bought one new bike in the past) and I'm getting pretty frustrated with the dealer BS.

How is it that there are such varied numbers when it comes to dealer "costs"?

For example:

One local dealer quoted me a decent price for a 2012 bike I'm considering and said their dealer costs were $109.

I went to another dealer, still here in Denver, and he wouldn't quote me a price and wanted over $600 in "dealer costs"!! WTF??

So for those of you that have been around the block a few times, what should I "reasonably" expect to pay in fees and what sort of mark-downs from MSRP should I be looking for on left-over 2012 models? Talking about a $6000 bike....not some $17,000 KTM.

Thanks,

Nate
Go to Apex in the Springs. By far the best dealership I've ever dealt with. The parts counter is a different story. Gary, the tire guy, is a great guy and great help when you go to buy tires.

Denver dealerships are a bunch of overpriced tools.

If you have cash, make them aware. Quote "out the door" and tax included for your county/city/area. Don't be afraid to walk. You have the advantage this time of year.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #153
TimothyCaseTimothy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post
Go to Apex in the Springs. By far the best dealership I've ever dealt with. The parts counter is a different story. Gary, the tire guy, is a great guy and great help when you go to buy tires.

Denver dealerships are a bunch of overpriced tools.

If you have cash, make them aware. Quote "out the door" and tax included for your county/city/area. Don't be afraid to walk. You have the advantage this time of year.
Ah, I've had a similar experience dealing with the Beemer dealer in the Springs...offered much, much more on a possible trade-in and then way overpriced their OEM ad-ons to get to a higher price than the local Denver dealer offered...shop around people...
TimothyCaseTimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #154
max1138
unsentinent wanderer

Oddometer: 104
I went thru 4 dealers in 3 states to find the 1250fa I wanted. I usually give a dealer one pass to get a deal done, my time is valuable and I dont like to listen to BS, and I have a rule, never beg someone to take my money. heres what im willing to offer, what are you willing to offer? get your boss or whatever, but if it cant be done in a half hour then it cant be done this isnt complicated.
1st dealer salesman, no we dont have one of those, despite the cycletrader listing saying we got one, please come buy it. left a card with name and # on it for the owner who is a family friend. he called later that evening pissed after the salesdroid told him I came by and they blew me off. not mad at me, just his salesman. I got offered the guys job if I wanted it.. I declined job offer and the offer he made on the bike. we are still friends and ill prolly buy from him again later.
2nd dealer. a little background, I will usually find a good internet price, not the cheapest one ,one of the lower not obviously bait and switch ads and call for a quote, if they wont fax or email me a fixed OTD price no thanks dont waste my time. anyway I take my quote to any dealer I walk into and offer them quote plus $500-$750 just to keep from having to drive an overnite, waste gas, motel,etc. basically offer them the cost of the trip out of state plus a little more. if one can sell it a this price so can another.they hate this, but cash speaks louder than words. the saleslady at the 2nd dealer looks and says "WE DONT CUT OR MATCH PRICES" I offered that she wasnt matching anything and im offering her more that what I can buy this for at another dealer who is making money on the deal just so I dont have to do a 2 day trip to wherever. on a leftover bike that isn't going to move ever in this area. no way she says we dont cut off sticker... good day says I,tell your boss I was here here's my card. they used to be my bmw dealer and Ive bought 4 bikes from them over the last 25 years, Ill be getting a phone call later.. sure enough rob calls and is pissed, but I wave him off, sorry old buddy,dont hire stupid people and you'll sell more bikes... she is pretty tho must sell a lot of bikes to young men. that she does he says, call ME the next time you come in tho and we will make it happen, Rob knows my one pass rule.
3rd dealer ya, we will fix you right up got one right here on the floor. fine I says get the bags put on it and draw up the paperwork Ill be back monday evening to pick it up at x price, done deal. get call monday lunch hey we gotta have an extra 1k for the bags and all. no says I, you got to find another customer x is what im paying for it and all im paying for it,get stuffed. wont be back to that particular dealer altho I did call the manager and informed him of the lost sale and the foolish salesman"s name who tried to jack me on a made handshake deal and explained the one pass rule to him. later..
4th dealer yeah its right here, heres the price bags are 200 extra which is what they were supposed to cost, not $1000
they threw in a 4 year extended warranty and 1st service and I still got out the door for a k less than msrp after taxes which is right where I figured I would wind up. the warranty I considered a bonus that may or may not ever be used but its there if I need it.
long story short walk away from poor service or shoddy deals, its your money. might take a bit of time but someone out there will have what you want at a reasonable price. carry a checkbook, cash is a pain for them to deal with in new bike buying amounts. be prepared to wait a few hours or even a few days till everything clears and if they are not willing to make a deal on your terms walk away. the 3 dealerships I walked away from will remember me as a lost profit opportunity. and i will remember them as generally incompetent or not willing to do business on anyone's terms but their own.
Remember no one gets all they want out of a deal, if so someone got taken, hell I would like to get a free bike but everything costs. what it costs is open to negotiation if its not then I walk away. I dont mind someone making money, I depend on people willing to pay me for what I do but I dont gouge for my services and wont stand to be gouged. its my money after all.

BE PATIENT it took me over 6 months to get the bike I wanted at a price I was comfortable with. I am probably the worlds most difficult customer due to the fact Im careful with my money and research thoroughly any major purchase so I walk away from a lot of stuff that others would take without doing the research. time and market conditions/competition are on your side so use it to your advantage.
max1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #155
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
So you visited 4 dealers in 3 states over a period of six months just to save a grand on a $12k motorcycle??? And what did you save over the offer from the owner of the first dealer? $500?

No thanks. I have taken the offer from the owner of the first dealership and worked with it. Even if it were only $250 off MSRP, you would have had six months of enjoyment with the bike for your $750.

I got one word for your "One pass" rule: dumb.
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #156
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Really great advice. I am coming up on my buying window and so far have yet to find a dealer in CA that is not charging 600$ in dealer fees not including tax/reg
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #157
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
So you visited 4 dealers in 3 states over a period of six months just to save a grand on a $12k motorcycle??? And what did you save over the offer from the owner of the first dealer? $500?

No thanks.
+1

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 AM   #158
max1138
unsentinent wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post

No thanks. I have taken the offer from the owner of the first dealership and worked with it. Even if it were only $250 off MSRP, you would have had six months of enjoyment with the bike for your $750.

I got one word for your "One pass" rule: dumb.
Ah, but you dont understand, I have bikes already, I dont need another and am in no hurry, plus I run construction crews all over the US and travel widely so it costs me nothing to be there and may as well see if I can do a deal on something I want. plus the offer was about 1500 high after I have to pay taxes to bring it into the state, he knew this and could have got down more without hurting his margin but tried to hustle me for about half the tax bill. its called hustle the hillbilly cause you knew his dad and and have dealt with him before, simple solution= walk away, I dont owe him or anyone else anything not even common courtesy if theyre not deserving of it.

one pass/half hour means Im serious, tell me what you want and ill tell you what im willing to give if we are too far apart I walk and we dont waste each others time. I bring a checkbook with me when Im shopping. do your numbers however you want to make the bookkeepers happy, heres the numbers we are dealing with. I will leave a card with a decent offer and my number if we cant get together on price and occasionally I will get a callback however I move so much that im rarely in the same place for long and refuse to drive/fly back to wherever it was and waste time and effort without knocking the price down a bit to cover my costs for travel. I made a fair offer then,now they're calling 2 months later when it didnt sell like they expected it to and want to come running to me to unload something off their floorplan. dont think so, bad bet on dealers part so I get a little reward for covering the failed bet. I grew up around a family of used car dealers, this is nothing new to me, a sale and some profit beats the hell out of a maybe sale and maybe better profit in an unknown future but most people are greedy and risk a loss, kind of like trying to fill an inside straight in poker terms.
and I dont deal with sloppy sales staff or those trying to run up a ticket. know what you have, be a professional know what youre selling and quit trying to tack on those extra profit items after we have agreed to a price.
as i said im a difficult customer and make no apologies and expect no favors, its a business transaction to me.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #159
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by max1138 View Post
I went thru 4 dealers in 3 states to find the 1250fa I wanted. I usually give a dealer one pass to get a deal done, my time is valuable and I dont like to listen to BS, and I have a rule, never beg someone to take my money. heres what im willing to offer, what are you willing to offer?.

Quote:
long story short walk away from poor service or shoddy deals.
The only thing I found shoddy in your post was you. You are the type that I enjoy saying "NO" to.

I would bet those people were all laughing at you and stringing you along for their own amusement.

And here is a news flash for you. Cycletrader often re-lists bikes that have been sold. (sometimes even months old) It is a common practice for them to fill their pages and there is nothing that a deal can do about it.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #160
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,958
Quote:
Ah, but you dont understand, I have bikes already,
as i said im a difficult customer and make no apologies and expect no favors, its a business transaction to me.
You spent six months grinding axles off yet you claim your time is valuable.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #161
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,894
Quote:
I went thru 4 dealers in 3 states
And none of them had some paragraphs or even a line break or two in stock?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #162
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
And none of them had some paragraphs or even a line break or two in stock?

I'll take "What is a capital letter for $200, Alex".

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #163
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk5mike View Post
Really great advice. I am coming up on my buying window and so far have yet to find a dealer in CA that is not charging 600$ in dealer fees not including tax/reg
My local dealer wanted $1600 in dealer fees for a 2012 v-strom...

I don't know what you're looking for, but I had a really good experience at the Yamaha dealer in San Juan Capistrano.

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #164
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
My local dealer wanted $1600 in dealer fees for a 2012 v-strom...

I don't know what you're looking for, but I had a really good experience at the Yamaha dealer in San Juan Capistrano.
This is great help has I am about to move down to San Diego
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #165
max1138
unsentinent wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The only thing I found shoddy in your post was you. You are the type that I enjoy saying "NO" to.

I would bet those people were all laughing at you and stringing you along for their own amusement.

And here is a news flash for you. Cycletrader often re-lists bikes that have been sold. (sometimes even months old) It is a common practice for them to fill their pages and there is nothing that a deal can do about it.
Dakez, we will have to agree to disagree.
Im buying a bike not a relationship,
you may be a good fellow and a good salesman. the two are not exclusive after all, and you may think of me what you wish.
fortunately my self image does not depend upon someone commenting on a motorcycle forum.
were I in your dealership I would make a fair offer on whatever I wished to purchase, if you turn it down that is your business to do so. and mine to take my money and walk away if we cannot come to agreeable terms. simple as that..