Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Importing a Tenere 660 Z to the USA - anyone done this?

After a few searches not turnign up what I was seeking, I figured I'd try a post...

Just wondering if anyone has experience importing a Yamaha Tenere 660Z into the US, from say... the UK. The origin matters little to me as I'm in Seattle. Thinking...*thinking* or exploring the option to bring a Tenere 660 here, given Yamaha doesn't seel it here...yet (more in a moment).

So - anyone here have any experience doing this?

I've got an email into Yamaha in the UK to understand from them if the bike even qualifies to meet US DOT rules. It may or may not, and making small changes doens't faze me, but, for example, if it simply won't ever meet emissions requirements, the idea is dead. I am thinking of buying the bike new, or new-ish.

The going-to-the-port stuff is no biggie. Been there, done that before, but it would suck mightily to get the bike here, hit the sniff test and find out the bike can't be registered...

Now, I alluded to Yamaha not selling the bike here yet and having more info...well here it is...and for the record, this is conjecture laced with trace amounts of fact.

On the call this week with the US Yamaha office, the rep told me they were "keeping a list of folks who wanted the 660Z brought to the US". Naturally I requested to add my voice. He also said that while the bike is not here now, Yamaha is very aware of the desire for the bike to be here, and that the voices collected were being heard clearly. They're not collecting actual names, just tracking requests to help judge demand.

So...let's dream a little dream that Yamaha is working toward getting the 660z over here... in the meantime, I'll explore importing one for fun... :)
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,730
First thing you would have to do is replace the headlight reflector. They point the wrong way over there don'tcha know.

Let us know how it goes. I love those, and the MT-03.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
stoic bloke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
First thing you would have to do is replace the headlight reflector. They point the wrong way over there don'tcha know.

Let us know how it goes. I love those, and the MT-03.

Errrr! wrong, the lamp has a 'flat' pattern so left or right hand drive is no problem........ now'ya know
stoic bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
tacomodo
Trailblaze

Oddometer: 59
Just saw this in another thread, maybe an easier option?
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=988

Got one myself, living in Norway. Highly recommended :)

Edit: also
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=989
Old 04-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoic bloke View Post
Errrr! wrong, the lamp has a 'flat' pattern so left or right hand drive is no problem........ now'ya know
Well I'll be. It's a "center" dip. I thought there were only left and right. I learn something new everyday.

Hey, PO. Ignore my comment. And good luck.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Damn, you guys rock! I'd happily swing south of the border to snag one of these puppies! Thanks gang - even if some of you can't tell your center dip lights from your rights and lefts. Who am I to say - I'm Canadian, so I can see both sides of THAT arguement!

Now, if I call the dealer in Mexico, will they just tell me "Yes" when I ask if the bike is road-worthy here in the USA? ;)
Old 04-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,388
Generally European emissions requirements are stricter than in the US, for sure everywhere outside of California.

But there is more to it than that, if the bike has never been approved by DOT before you will have tons of hoops to jump through.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
Damn, you guys rock! I'd happily swing south of the border to snag one of these puppies! Thanks gang - even if some of you can't tell your center dip lights from your rights and lefts. Who am I to say - I'm Canadian, so I can see both sides of THAT arguement!

Now, if I call the dealer in Mexico, will they just tell me "Yes" when I ask if the bike is road-worthy here in the USA? ;)
yes is the standard answer for every question in mexico.
it's considered rude to say i do not know in the mexico.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,388
I don't think anybody will be able to really tell him if the bike complies with DOT, neither the Mexican dealer nor Yamaha UK.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
yokesman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
you may want to look into all the requirements, some time ago , just as in Cal today to bring a bike into cal without the 51 state sticker( added one to allow for any additional legislation that may come just for the applicant) it needs to (last i looked ) have 7500 miles on it. a gray market type import.
In mexico/www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/xt660tenere.html
154,900.00 MXN = 11,846.38 USD
6,999.00 GBP = 11,169.61 USD

did you look at good used. low miles bikes?
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
you may want to look into all the requirements, some time ago , just as in Cal today to bring a bike into cal without the 51 state sticker( added one to allow for any additional legislation that may come just for the applicant) it needs to (last i looked ) have 7500 miles on it. a gray market type import.
In mexico/www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/xt660tenere.html
154,900.00 MXN = 11,846.38 USD
6,999.00 GBP = 11,169.61 USD

did you look at good used. low miles bikes?
Not yet - in fact, I did the same math last night on costing and it look slike the UK source would be the way to go...though I *could fly-n-ride* from Mexico.

Gotta say, though, that as much as this idea does appeal to me, I'm also struggling to make the case given I could nad a Sertao for less money and have a similar bike (meaning...now calm down...meaning that it would do what I nee dof it. Admittedly, the Tenere would be overkill for me, and the Sertao is so close pwoer-wise that it'd be a wash in most circumstances). I don't know, however, if the Tenere has an adjustable suspension against the Sertao's sticks. That tips the balance a bit, BUT, not sure it tips it by over $2k...

Alas, this may have been a fantasy as in the end it might just not be worth the hassle. I mean, being different is nice, but I can do that with a mohawk on my helmet...oh, wait...
Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
Evenflo76
Cheap and Easy

I do not believe a straight dollar for peso/euro/canadian dollar conversion would work. It is possible that the price would be different. Larger markets may dictate a lower price.

Also, if you do import, the bike would be titled as "gray market". Not so easy to title in some states. There may also be problems insuring it as well. Things to consider.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for US release from Yamaha.
What else can we do?
Old 03-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
TrueGritGS
Ride, hike or die.

Oddometer: 24
Importing a Tenere 660

Two years later . . . inquiring minds want to know if you got the Tenere into the US? I want to bring one into California. Yamahas are so reliable.
TrueGritGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #14
Crazy Carl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Yep, definitely curious about this one. I'm in the market for another bike and am considering going new.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:26 AM   #15
Todd34
Toubab

Oddometer: 917
Drop a line to rtwpaul, he has one.
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote