Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #136
erockmapquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
Not sure of the significance of the fat people statues but there were lot of them
It is the work of Fernando Botero, a very famous Colombian sculptor/painter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Botero
erockmapquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #137
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 314
Thanks man. On wiki now trying get a little more informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erockmapquest View Post
It is the work of Fernando Botero, a very famous Colombian sculptor/painter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Botero
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #138
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Short ride to El Retiro

We took a couple of great day rides from Medellin. Once you get away from the immediate traffic of the city the roads are great. Quick elevation gains and lots of corners up into the mountains. The first ride we took was pretty short up to El Retiro to grab a bite to eat.

Overlooking Medellin

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

El Retiro. A very cool mellow mountain town

Overlooking Medellin at night

A day trip to Guantape tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #139
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Guatape

A ride out to the lake and big rock at Guatape. Great riding amazing views and corners with 50+ km of dirt thrown in to boot. I think the pics will speak for themselves.

First look at the lake

New plan. Quit my job and buy this houseboat! not really but sounds good on paper.

The big rock.

Some crazy mofo bult stairs up this thing a long time ago. 740 to be exact.

740 steps conquered! The view is well worth the hike.

Guatape Town Plaza

A very beautiful town. Clean colorful and friendly. Had we known it was such a cool place we all agreed we would have just ridden with all our gear and stayed for a couple of nights to ride some dirt.

On our way out the back way.

Another cool mountain town.

The end of a great day. I could ride these mountains and around the link for a long time and not see it all or get tired of it. A really beautiful area and place that stands out for the entire trip.

And time to get out of Medellin. This is the longest I have spent anywhere on this trip and I have enjoyed every minute but it is for sure time to move on and see more of Colombia.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #140
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Medellin to Salento

Mihai and myself had a big Friday night in Medellin while Pawel was a good boy and caught up on his blog. It wasn't suppose to be a big night, just a few drinks our last night in Medellin. In retrospect I think Pawel made the right call knowing we had to ride the next day.

3 random pics from the night. This cool urinal

And one quick shot at a place called street shots! We did not get the flaming shots but took in the show.

On the road much later than planned. We had to stop by a couple of moto shops to say bye to some new friends we made in our week in Medellin. Photos taken and good luck wished. Then we were off like a three legged turtle. As soon as we actually got moving out of town the rain started. Rain gear on. Over the pass out of Medellin it turned to fog and heavy rain. This was becoming almost un-fun pretty fast. Throw lots of big trucks into the mix and 2 of the 3 of us were ready to call it a day only about 100k south of Medellin. It took over 2 hours to get that far. We checked into the Mi Rey and felt like kings. 39000 pesos a night. about 22 US.

2 big pools really cool cabins separate from the hotel. We just stayed in the regular rooms which were also very nice. There were only 2 other guests that we saw in the entire hotel. It appears that this place was built with drug money back in the hay day of cocaine and is slowly deteriorating now. There are tennis courts, basketball and the property in big with lots of sculptures.

So the next day were are off at a reasonable time to Salento. More great mountain roads and amazing views. The weather was really overcast and gray but we managed not to get rained on too much.

A cool town that we drove through. Notice the bull fighting ring. The soccer stadium is just to the left out of the shot and there are coffee plantations in the hills. This town captured what a classic mountain town seem to be about. Lots of towns like this that are clean and seem to be doing well.

another angle

About an hour outside of Salento we say these mini-bikes and couldn't resist!

8 laps of no hold barred fender banging and elbow bashing!!

Got it all on GoPro and working on getting it down from almost ten min to just a couple. No one raced with us so we were allowed to do whatever we wanted. I think the other guys were intimidated b/c we had our own helmets and padded ridding pants. They did know that we came there on "big motos"

After the race, sweated out and dirty but damn happy. It was an absolute blast.

DCIM\100GOPRO

A guy in the race after us took a big spill over the bars and got speared by his bike. He walked away but really drove home that something this fun would be allowed in the states. Maybe with a waiver as long as your arm but here you just hand over 6000 pesos and go for it.

Having dinner with some old friends in Salento.

Cool restaurant with some old cowboy stuff on the walls.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #141
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Salento and off to Buga

So from Casa Kiwi to the Mi Rey to this place.

All very reasonalably priced and all a little more Gucci that I am use to or expected while traveling. This moto travel stuff of making me soft.

Hard to get good pics but it is a very cool old colonial building.

Found this guy in the Jacuzzi. He was done swimming I think. I didn't even know there were scorpions in Colombia

Overlooking Salento.

This guy joined us for the hike and then on the way back down he stopped back at the little shop where we found him. He was a funny dog.

The reason I bring up this dog is because in Colombia you see very few starving dogs and a lot more big dogs. In central America there were lots of stray small starving dogs. It is nice to see healthy animals and I take it as a sign of a place being more economically stable. All be it a small sign but a sign none the less. Colombia seems to have many areas that are doing quite well.

Off to Buga!!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #142
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
ok, i'm caught up! i have thoroughly enjoyed your pics and trip report. can't wait for more! thanks for bringing me along.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #143
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Salento to Buga

The riding from Salento to Buga was only ok. We had a better and longer route planned but some nasty weather made the choice for us to take quickest way. It was pretty hot once out of the mountains and the some very heavy rain. Buga was more of a place to stop for us than anything. It does have some nice old colonial buildings but none of us felt the need to stay any longer than a night.

Along the way...

We then stopped a nice restaurant in wine country for lunch. They started our lunch off with a small glass of wine each. After lunch we had a few more sips. They had some really neat flavors. I am not a wine guy but we were easily persuaded into some more tasting.

The boys having some free wine

This nice cop on this bike had a chat with us about the bikes and our trip. He was also sure to let us know that he had a better moto at home and showed us a picture on his phone. I still love how something as simple as a motorcycle can create such conversations and allow total strangers to approach each other.

High dollar wine bottles

And off to Buga in the rain. Only about an hour and well worth the ride to have a sweat room like this!!

The Suave Tigre room!!(inside joke)

Three tiger blankets and beds as hard as rocks, but cheap! The Canadians help keep me in check budget wise b/c they are traveling longer. I am not as worried about budget b/c I am going straight back to work and traveling for less time. But it is nice with 3 to cut cost and then we do single rooms when we find a good deal. Those deals seem to be coming more often in southern Colombia.

While hanging at our hotel on the internet (no roaming around the city b/c of the rain) we decide to take a swim. There a few girls around the pool and then about 45 min later there are 12 college students. The were in Buga for 3 days doing some work in a national park as part of their course of study. They were all mostly environmental and forestry students.

mini pool party with a few beers

Mihai fine tuning his salsa.

Colombians of all ages are ready to break into dancing anytime anywhere!! Its pretty cool. I need to improve my dancing!

As we were all calling it a night I had a great idea! Pawel had fallen asleep with headphones in. Our room was the closest to the pool and everyone had to walk by it to get to their rooms. I asked these nice young ladies if they would pose for a picture with Pawel asleep. They were happy to play along.

Then one of them accidentally brushed against him and he sprung up! Classic shot and this was his immediate move straight from asleep. Great recovery!!

They were all fun to talk and laugh with. One of the main topics of conversation was about how our families feel about us traveling to Colombia and how we have liked Colombia so far and do we feel safe. These are questions that a lot of Colombians ask and want detailed answers to. It has made for great conversation and I will elaborate on this in my Colombia wrap up.

Some sights around Buga

Guys painting the church by hand. The bricks are fake. Just lines painted.

One of the painters came down form the scaffolding and had a nice talk with us. More questions about what we thought of Colombia. He asked that we enjoy his country and take positive stories home.

I really dont like wires in my pictures. But this had to be captured and it makes it clear that you are not taking a pic in Buga without a wire in it.

Popayan is the next stop!!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #144
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Thanks for following. Trying to eek out more time off and see if I can pull off at least part of Peru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
ok, i'm caught up! i have thoroughly enjoyed your pics and trip report. can't wait for more! thanks for bringing me along.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #145
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
When you get in Peru

Let me know when you get in Peru and maybe I can meet you. I'm an American (Maine) that runs an Moto Adventure Tour group out of Peru. I'm presently in Cuzco, but will be moving farther north soon.

Let's meet up for a few

Do you have a place to store your bike?

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #146
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

It looks like I may not make Peru due to logistics and work. I had thought about leaving my bike in South America but I have not set plan to return. I have now decided the best move is to ship from Bogata to Miami for 850 bucks.

Thanks for the offer from one Maine-iac to another. I will pass you ADV handle along to the Canadians. I hope to be buying the beers for us next year if I can pull off riding the rest of SA in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
Let me know when you get in Peru and maybe I can meet you. I'm an American (Maine) that runs an Moto Adventure Tour group out of Peru. I'm presently in Cuzco, but will be moving farther north soon.

Let's meet up for a few

Do you have a place to store your bike?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #147
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

A few days around Popayan

Popayan is very cool authentic town with little to know gringo presence yet!

We did not take any pictures of the ride from Buga to Popayan b/c we had some tough weather it was not a terribly exciting ride down the PanAm. The scenery was better closer to Popayan and we are hoping for some good day rides from here.

As soon as we get off the bikes to start looking for a hotel, the door of an office opens and out pops a doctor, asking in English where are we from? We tell her our story and she says he brother biked from Popayan to Arg. If we need anything just come on by. She keeps offering us water and coffee and we politely decline. We tell her we will stop by tomorrow to chat and get the highlights of the city. True Colombian hospitality that we have seen more than once. As we are in our totally grubby moto gear she is telling us to come in her office (which is connected to her parents house) and sit down look at a phonebook, have coffee relax!

We really want to get settled and agree to have lunch the next day to get the highlights of the city from a local and repay her generosity some. Even though we did not really need anything at the time for a person to invite 3 total strangers into her parents house on the spot was over the top. When we stop by the next day we meet mom and get lulo juice and more over the top hospitality. We were on our way to drop off laundry and she says you can do it here. Again we thank her and her mom but politely decline. Just makes you feel like people have your back when they are so trusting and giving.

Us at lunch, Mihai is taking the pic. Thanks Ximena!!!!

It was a great lunch at a traditional restaurant and fun conversation. We all found we shared a passion for travel and adventure. After lunch we were off to start crossing things off our list of sights and places to eat.

Views from a hill overlooking Popayan.

Some of the nice buildings walking around town.

Around Popayan

Main Plaza

Looking at Maps for the next day

Pawel working on his blog, while I was doing the same.

This what Mihai does while we bog and organize photos. His mom has to follow Pawel's blog to keep track of him.

On Saturday night we went to the small fair in Popayan. Hit up the bumper cars a few other rides and the basketball game. Pawel claims to be a bit of a baller on the court, so I said I was up for the challenge. I made a big come back. I think he cracked under the pressure!!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #148
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

A few forgotten highlights of Popayan and to Ipiales

Pawel's awesome burger at Pizza.net. Right across from our hotel.

We had also met up with Pete and Wim again in Popayan. They headed out of Popayan a day ahead of us. The next day i had an email from Pete saying that he left a hard drive at his hotel. We stopped by to retrieve the goods! It was an old sock for safety. Pete this will cost you a lot of beers!!

We had a night out in Popayan. There was a big tranny blowing fire everywhere and a midget host that ended up dancing on our table. I would say that classifies as a party!!!

Now for a great ride south to Ipiales

Met these two Colombian brothers out for a day ride from Pasto. Very nice guys. One on an Africa Twin and the other on a Tenere 660

Had a great talk with them on the side of the road

They even let Mihai ride the 660. I think he is shopping for one now!

More fantastic landscape of Colombia! The gray skies dont make for the best pics but these are pics you have to get gray skies or not

This old guy working hard gathering wood. It is a different and often hard life living in the mountains

Today was a great ride all the way around. We just missed really bad weather, met some really cool other riders and had epic roads and photo ops all day. I have to drive north through this section of road. I cant wait to see and do it all again
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #149
NicolasR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Now I understand!!! Last week I was on my Yamaha S10 right in front of the hostal you were at in Medellin and your friend, the one with beard, was waving at trying to talk to me. I was on lane in the traffic light!!!
I am glad you had a great time in Medellin!!

Nicolas, white yamaha super tenere. Your friend may remember!!!

Enjoy riding my country!!!
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #150
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

I dont remember but he does. He is very interested in the Tenere and Super Tenere.

Are you living in Medellin? If so I am jealous! It is a great place for a variety of reasons. Perfect temps and amazing riding are just two of them.

I will be turning around and heading North soon. I am shipping my bike from Bogata to Miami. I hope to squeeze in a few more days in Medellin, but we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasR View Post
Now I understand!!! Last week I was on my Yamaha S10 right in front of the hostal you were at in Medellin and your friend, the one with beard, was waving at trying to talk to me. I was on lane in the traffic light!!!
I am glad you had a great time in Medellin!!

Nicolas, white yamaha super tenere. Your friend may remember!!!

Enjoy riding my country!!!