Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
I believe the discrepancy between e10 energy content compared to " straight" gasoline and real world fuel efficiency is likely due to differences in flame propagation rates which would reduce the efficiency of conversion of chemical energy into mechanical energy.

Case in point is that a lean combustion condition actually is colder than stoichiometric, but it is associated with over heated engines. Why? It changes the flame propagation rate resulting in the chemical energy being converted into heat instead of moving the piston.

This is no big deal if the ignition timing is appropriately adjusted, but I don't know if manufacturers do that. Most likely they just compromise.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
E15 has apparently hit the streets ....

I didn't think E15 was out there... but apparently it is, and lots of car manufacturers say it's crap....
Gosh ... why didn't we think of that?

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2000862202001/
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I really don't kow how they could mandate E15. Toyota specifically states that using any more than 10% Ethanol will void your new car warranty. I doubt Toyota is alone in this. Can you imagine every car losing its warranty because of a new fuel requirement? Distribution and pump issues would be a nightmare as well. I don't think there are enough stimulus dollars to upgrade every gas pump in the country.... well wait... there weren't enough stimulus dollars to do anything else that has already been done anyway.

Sounds like a new stimulus plan... or a new version of "cash for clunkers".. or as I like to call them, "money for our banking donors".
Renegade_Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #19
Strominid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
The purpose of the ethanol,as I understand it, is principally to aid in more complete combustion and yield lower emissions from vehicles. Thus it is for the benefit of the consumer (of air). It was promoted as a replacement for MTBE which was found to be a huge environmental risk when released to groundwater from underground tanks and distribution systems. As an energy source, it is a crock of shit because of the amount of energy it takes to produce it from dedicated fuel crops.
Strominid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
As mentioned, if you remove the ethanol, your octane rating is going down a few points, so now you have to buy octane booster, which brings all kinds of new issues.

Yep.

And gee, guess what many octane boosters contain?

In fact, all the potential octane boosters have all kinds of problems, especially in a homebrew chemistry setting:

- Tolulene and Xylene - strong solvents -- even worse for certain parts of your fuel system than ethanol. Highly regulated.
- MTBE - highly regulated; very toxic to the environment in liquid form.
- Methanol, Ethanol, and other alcohols (isopropyl mostly) -- right back where you started

The point. I don't see it.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,533
All I know is that in Mexico (ethanol free gas) my bike runs better and gets about 30 more miles per tank.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
It is actually pretty easy. Just put 10 gallons of water into a container and add a gallon of water. .

Sooooo..............11 gallons of water turns into gas?
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #23
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Well, I guess we are fortunate due to the fact that we have a gas station that sells pure gas. It's a little higher in price but they sell the stew out of the stuff. Mainly to boaters, motorcyclists, etc. my bike is e10 friendly but I still use the pure stuff from time to time.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
daysgoneby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Here's an app to help find gas without Ethanol https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/pure...454559068?mt=8

daysgoneby screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 01:32 PM
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #25
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
web version with same idea here: http://pure-gas.org/
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysgoneby View Post
Here's an app to help find gas without Ethanol https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/pure...454559068?mt=8
+1 Great App! I have this app and used it to get 100% gasoline to top my bikes off for the winter and I will start keeping at least 5 gal in the garage for the bikes going forward.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
Stumpalump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
web version with same idea here: http://pure-gas.org/
I've used them online but did not know about the app. Thanks. My V10 van gets 14mpg on pure gas and 11-12 on ethanol.
If more of us buy it then more places will sell it.
KTM 200 EXC.
XR400
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
andrew.pdx
Thump

Oddometer: 29
Resource for remopte locations

I go places where there is no cell coverage. Forget the wi-fi. The only current bush is on my WR. I wanted something PRACTICAL. With a small tank on a light bike the additional power and additional 10% MPG (an extra 14 miles) is essential in truly remote locales (think Magruder Corridor, stretches in BC, or Alaska which is all non-ethanol , etc).

Funny how ones compulsive behaviors blossom in the depths of winter...

I downloaded (several steps) and 'GPSBabled' the N. America Pure-Gas.org map. IT IS NON_COMMERCIAL USE ONLY. I trimmed it down to a .gpx for Western N. America since that's where I live. I keep it on my GPS so I have it where I need it.

Here is a link if you want to make use of it. It lives publicly shared in my Google Docs. PLEASE contribute updates (including current confirmations) to pure-gas.org.

Once you open the link just download yourself a copy of the .gpx and have at it as you see fit. It should be about 151KB, MIME type text/xml. File name is ClearGas-PureGasWesternN_Amer.gpx

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4vT...=sharing&pli=1

Happy trails and see ya in the out back -
andrew.pdx is offline   Reply With Quote