User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
TXGSrider OP
IBA #11007

Oddometer: 602
Elite 250 v. Riva 200

Ok, I'm looking for a used, cheap scooter that can reach highway speeds (55-65 mph). I've come across Riva 200 and an Elite 250. Which is better? Which is faster? which is more reliable? which is easier to find parts for?

Also, what issues should I be looking for on these?

Thanks for the help!
2011 HD Road Glide 103
2012 Triumph Scrambler
TXGSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,906
I have a riva 200 and it can hold 60 up most hills and turns 70+ on level with wind behind me.

I have no knowledge of the elite 250.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
ernest t bass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
rode a 250 elite 27,000 miles(then trans crapped out)
id love to find another one.
way better than the 150 elite i have now
top speed of my 250 was 68 mph - but it will do that all day long
better parts availability with honda? plus water cooled
i prefer the neo modern look of the honda elite, but the riva is a good looking bike too.

IMO with scooters, if the cosmetics are right you have a good bike
Old 11-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Go with the Honda. Rivas are scarcer. I can go to a Honda dealer and still order most parts for my '85 Elite 150.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
TXGSrider OP
IBA #11007

Oddometer: 602
Parts availability is important and I belive the Honda wins here. However, it seems like the Honda also requires more maintenance (oil screen instead of filter, coolant flushing, valve adjusting, etc), right?

Do they both have drum front brakes? Which is easier to work on?

Thanks for all your help!
2011 HD Road Glide 103
2012 Triumph Scrambler
TXGSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
The Kurgan
Firing on one cylinder

Oddometer: 349
This is going back to 1987, but I owned a very nice baby blue 1984 Yamaha Riva 180. I think in 1986 they bumped the discplacement to 200cc... anyway I digress...

My scooter did a legitimate 120 km/hr (of course I was in the racer's crouch) on a flat straight away. It was comfortable, looked sharp, and NEVER gave me a problem. In fact, I don't remember ever doing any maintenance on it at all! CHEAP on gas. It was air cooled but never overheated on me. It ate rear tires, but all scooters do. I was also amazed that it always started on the first push of the starter button.

The only thing that annoyed me about my Riva was the soft front shock. However, I'm sure that can be rectified if there's a will.

Now, many years have passed, so I'm not so sure about parts availability, and I'm sure Honda takes the nod in that department.

I also remember the Honda Elite 150 and 250. Also a nice looking scooter for its time, but the angular lines look dated now, while the RIva still has a current look.
2003 Suzuki SV1000S, 1975 Honda CB500T (two of them)
1984 Yamaha Riva 180

The Kurgan screwed with this post 08-19-2008 at 12:24 PM
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
PascalM3M5
PascalM3M5

Oddometer: 25
I just bought the 1987 YAMAHA RIVA 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
This is going back to 1987, but I owned a very nice baby blue 1984 Yamaha Riva 180. I think in 1986 they bumped the discplacement to 200cc... anyway I digress...

My scooter did a legitimate 120 km/hr (of course I was in the racer's crouch) on a flat straight away. It was comfortable, looked sharp, and NEVER gave me a problem. In fact, I don't remember ever doing any maintenance on it at all! CHEAP on gas. It was air cooled but never overheated on me. It ate rear tires, but all scooters do. I was also amazed that it always started on the first push of the starter button.

The only thing that annoyed me about my Riva was the soft front shock. However, I'm sure that can be rectified if there's a will.

Now, many years have passed, so I'm not so sure about parts availability, and I'm sure Honda takes the nod in that department.

I also remember the Honda Elite 150 and 250. Also a nice looking scooter for its time, but the angular lines look dated now, while the RIva still has a current look.
I just had the 2 of those scooters the elite 250 vs the riva 200. Both are good, the Riva is MUCH lighter an nimble. The elite as more torque fealing when you gaz. high way are similar to speed a little advantage for elite.
PascalM3M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
I would definitely go for the Elite if it is an '85-'88. They are proven reliable and look great, at least to me. I never did like the looks of the later models, but I'm just assuming they are still reliable. I like the early model well enough to buy a brand new one if it were still sold today. 250cc in a nice boxy (and short) scooter that didn't look like a Vespa, but didn't look like a chase lounge on wheels either. Parts will be a problem for any Japanese bike of that age.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,914
Amazing that this thread shows up the day after I discussed these 2 scooters with a good friend. I have both ,an 86 250 Elite and an 87 200 Riva. They are both great scooters and although the Honda would seem to need the most service, outside of oil changes it is virtually maintenance free. Mine has 32k on it and although I've adjusted the valves they are almost exactly on the same marks as new. The oil change is much simpler and less expensive then the Riva as there is no filter to replace. Performance wise the Elite is a little faster but the Riva seems to run at lower revs so a little messing around with the weights in the variator could negate that. Fuel mileage is a wash,headlight is much better on the Elite,brakes are adequate but fade if run real aggressively,neither have much wind protection but the Elite seems a tad better as far as cold weather riding goes. The biggest difference ,and this was my conversation with my buddy, is the Elite handles a lot better. Not so much in terms of actual cornering ability but you can relax a little more on it where as the Riva seems more twitchy and prone to react more to road irregularities. They are both so ugly that you have to love them. I also have a 150 Elite and performance wise it is so close to the others that if you find one in reasonable condition and price go for it.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
I like the water cooling of the Honda, especially in a warm climate. Less worry in traffic on a hot day. Also, the Yamaha has a very complex carburetor, with several vacuum activated gizmos, and is pretty sensitive to a low battery, which doesn't turn the engine fast enough to generate enough vacuum. The core engine in both is very sound, but the Yamaha can be a bit more difficult to start in less than perfect conditions. Hondas start.

Starting means a lot to me. No scooter is worth anything, even if it is pretty or comfortable, until it starts.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
HSRacer
Banned

Oddometer: 115
Two weeks ago I purchased this 86 Elite 250 with 2200 actual miles. So far I've ran two tanks of gas through it and got an average of 76mpg. It rides fantastic and the maintance that I've done so far has been a breeze. I couldn't be happier!

HSRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Honda Elite 250 is a solid 70mph Scooter. The Elite 250 will run all day wide open and not fail. The rear shocks are usually shot on the Elite and at times it seems like you are riding a pogo stick. Cable operated brakes are ok if kept in shape and adjusted but they will fade if hot. Most mechanical parts are still available for the Elite 250 but body and trim parts are nearly unobtanium. Mufflers are nla, so are a few other odds and ends. The LCD display can fade over time and potential corrosion where the clock battery sits can kill the clock. They are simple to maintain and very reliable if kept in shape.
A History lesson: When Honda introduced the Elite (and later the Helix), and Yamaha the Riva, Piaggio abruptly abandoned the US market leaving Vespa owners and dealers in the lurch with no parts to service and no product to sell.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
HSRacer
Banned

Oddometer: 115
There are several aftermarket shocks that are available that are a nice upgrade. You can also buy new mufflers and other parts here http://ch250dude.com/
There are always sets of plastics for sale on ebay. There is a guy here in the flea market section with a like new complete set for sale.

Just because Honda has discontinued parts doesn't mean that you can't get them.
HSRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
The YSS rear shocks are an improvement but the MIC front shocks, muffler, and "made in Minnesota" repro stuff, not so much.
What are the "several aftermarket shocks" you refer to?
The FM ad parts may be usable but really aren't described as being like new nor are they a complete set.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=elite
After reading the FM ad, it is unwise to lecture a seller.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,590
The rear shocks from the CFMoto Glory 150 are a direct bolt on swap for the CH250 shocks. I don't know the spring rate, but they're preload adjustable, and I cranked them to full stiff. I'm no lightweight. They annoying tendency it had of squatting under acceleration went away. I even had to re-aim the headlight.
Best part was finding them used on eBay for $22...