Oddometer: 594
Not a scoot but kinda cool

http://youtu.be/szN3bLF1oP4
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,105
I think scooter folks can appreciate the whole micro-car idea. When riding my PCX, if I pull up to a Fiat 500, it doesn't look as teensy as when I pull up beside one while driving my truck.

The GEM electric cars are modestly popular on South Padre Island... street legal, and they hold 4 adults...

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/gem-ele.../overview.aspx
Old 07-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
I thought it was cool until I found out it was electric. They should build something like this with a gas motor, and at least a 55 mph top speed. I used to know someone with a Corbin Sparrow. Thought it was just the coolest thing. Or would be, with a gas motor. I have actually considered a Smart car. It would be high on my list if not for the weird transmission.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I thought it was cool until I found out it was electric. They should build something like this with a gas motor, and at least a 55 mph top speed. . . .
We are in the Twenty-First Century now! Time to let that thinking from an older period . . . behind.

THIS has only two wheels and is all-electric all-wheel-drive!

From the same group; a cargo scooter & a fold-up scooter:

Lit Motors via Smart Planet
Old 07-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,374
What will they think of next?

j

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
JerryH
Banned

The Isetta is a nice vehicle. I have not driven one, and it looks like it might be hard to get in and out with the door across the front, but at least it is gas. If they ever build an electric with unlimited range at freeway speeds (like the Smart car) I'll think about it. All electric vehicles currently available would be worthless to me, because of the range problem. The entire infrastructure of this country is built around cars and roads. You can get small scooters (NOT 50cc) that work great in town, and rural roads, and you can get bigger ones for the freeway. You can go anywhere on a gas powered scooter, but are VERY limited on an electric one.

Since this is the 21st century, why aren't they working on something that should be as viable as a gas powered vehicle. Hydrogen powered. I've been a believer in that for 40 years. Yet nobody has made ant serious attempts at making hydrogen powered vehicles. I wonder why. Maybe because they might actually work? No there aren't many hydrogen refueling stations around, but there are absolutely no places where you can stop and recharge your electric vehicle in 10 minutes either.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #7
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Have a look into APFCT and their hydrogen fuel-cell scooters and microlight cars:

Fuel Cells and 7-Eleven

Both cars & scooters use the same power system and they employ swappable metal hydride canisters.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

If you want some business concerns more known to the general public - how about Honda and GM?

GM, Honda work on fuel cell car

Quote:
AAP
General Motors and Honda will combine forces to develop hydrogen fuel cell vehicles in the hopes of delivering them to customers by around 2020, the US and Japanese automakers say.
The partnership is aimed at solving the two biggest problems facing the commercial feasibility of fuel cells: high cost and lack of fuelling stations.
"Honda and GM are eager to accelerate the market penetration of this ultimate clean mobility technology," Honda chief Takanobu Ito said in a statement.
Quote:
Engineers from both companies will work together to develop the next generation of fuel cell technology, sharing all their previous research and future discoveries at joint research facilities in Michigan and Japan.
While the master agreement does not cover manufacturing, it will likely lead the automakers to use essentially the same engine and storage tanks in their fuel cell vehicles.
One of the goals is to reduce costs by working with suppliers to develop standardised - and less expensive - components.
The automakers will also work with governments and fuel station operators to develop the necessary infrastructure to support the vehicles.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Its more like a car but its being built here in the US. And $6800 new Elio motors

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH
I have actually considered a Smart car. It would be high on my list if not for the weird transmission.
Jerry, don't bother with a Smart. I work with someone who has one. She loves it but I get better fuel economy with my '01 diesel Beetle than she does (it's not even close either. Smart = mid-30s mpg, Beetle = low-to-mid 40s).

The Elio is a great idea, IMO. Since it's 3 wheels, it's considered a motorcycle. The seating is in tandem (passenger behind driver) which makes it narrow.

I could get away with an electric vehicle, given my commute (16 miles round trip). Perhaps it's time to give some consideration to an electric vehicle (Zero anyone?).

I also think we could easily build an engine powered by CNG or LP. That's so much more plentiful than gasoline, costs about half (or less), pollutes less and has as much, if not more potential energy.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
JerryH
Banned

I'm looking at new cars, and a new Smart base model with A/C is less than half the price of a new diesel Beetle. And I don't need the back seat. Yes the mileage does seem low for such a small car, but it is one of the few cheap new cars that I would consider an enthusiast car. Many motorcycle and scooter riders love them. In fact, on the Smart car forum, it seems most members are also current or former riders. The downside is poor build quality (it's built by Mercedes Benz) parts prices and availability. But, many of them have passed 200,000 miles without any serious problems. They seem about as close to a motorcycle as you can get on 4 wheels, other than a convertible 2 seater, and I can't afford a new Miata.

As for the Elio, looks like a great concept, but $6800? Not even the Chinese could build it for that. That's the same price as a new Majesty. It will either never happen, or the price will go way up, or it will be a piece of junk. You just don't get much for $6800 these days. Remember the Yugo?

As for hydrogen power, the technology is decades old. If companies had put time and effort into developing hydrogen power instead of wasting it on electric vehicles, we could have hydrogen powered vehicles right now, with all the benefits of gasoline power. I suspect politics (ie Big Oil) is involved.

CNG and LP have been fairly common around here for some time. It seems to cost just as much to run a vehicle on LPG as it does gasoline, and more to use CNG. CNG is also hard to find. Again I suspect the prices of LPG and CNG are being manipulated to prevent them from becoming viable alternatives to gasoline. Plus you can't put ethanol in it. What are all those poor corn farmers going to do?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Jerry, I don't mean to rain on your parade but have you driven a smart? I had one for six weeks while waiting for another car. The smart I drove was diesel powered (belonged to my niece). I will admit it had some charm but it didn't take me long to get tired of its short-comings:it's slow, it's sloppy, it's cheap feeling, it looks goofy from certain angles, the auto tranny is lousy. I'd rather a two-door Yaris. Or a Mazda 2.

You said you can't afford a new Miata, get a used one then. Way more fun, great mileage, super reliable. I paid $10,000 CDN for my '99 and absolutely love it. This is mine.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Comment revised

Hey Jerry,

Further to my last comment about the Smart, I should have said that the one I drove was a 2006 model. To be fair, the new ones look more refined and are better proportioned. While strolling the streets of downtown Charlottetown tonight, I spotted one that looked really sharp, my kids liked it too. They ARE pretty neat. Roomy as heck inside and I like the optional sunroof and ragtop versions. I can see the appeal.

Sorry to be so negative in my earlier comment. If ya get one, post up some pics.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #14
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Nils Ferber Builds Bonkers Trike, Bike Nutters Rejoice!

Double li-ion 18V drill power, by Bosch!

E-trikes in the Philippines?

Quote:
they are powered by five 12V batteries. They need six to 10 hours of charging for a range of 100 to 120 kilometers at speeds of 30 to 45 kilometers per hour.
So its urban use only for these.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
Giddy Goanna
Fat tanks 'n skinny women

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugtussle View Post
Its more like a car but its being built here in the US. And $6800 new Elio motors
Super cool Bugtussle!
Thanks for the link, it looks like SERIOUS fun.
I've always liked the idea of a Can-Am Spyder, but the Elio looks like it has a wider range of use and will be more exciting as well.

Here's to hoping the Elio makes it all the way down under after satisfying USA & Canadian demand!

Cheers
Giddy Goanna is offline   Reply With Quote