Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #31
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
Hey Pete, Actually I would like to take a look-see of those Dariens.

U B round 2day?
Uh, yeah I was sitting on my ass all day, sorry just saw this lol

PM me if you want to come over, I should be around tomorrow too but will be at storage unit taking apart a Ninja 650. I'm probably a no go on the Johnstown ride Sunday I was hoping to use today to work on bike but was watching kiddos instead.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #32
Jeff B OP
I apologize

Oddometer: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Uh, yeah I was sitting on my ass all day, sorry just saw this lol

PM me if you want to come over, I should be around tomorrow too but will be at storage unit taking apart a Ninja 650. I'm probably a no go on the Johnstown ride Sunday I was hoping to use today to work on bike but was watching kiddos instead.

PM sent.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #33
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,806
Sorry about my lack of decorum when responding to that other guy.

Anyway, I've had a one piece RC for years, two things that always bugged me about it
Was that it was too short in the torso and if I was touring super-light I left me with out a jacket.
Where a two piece would give you the jacket.

I now use a Darien jacket and pants. For my long torso'd short legged body it works out very well
Old 11-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #34
Jeff B OP
I apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob393 View Post
I'm on my second season with a two piece, about 50,000 miles, and couldn't be happier.

99% of the time I use them zipped together and yeah the zipper is a bit tough, the large back pad has to attach to the pants not the bottom of the jacket when you re-attach the pants so it gets a bit bulky to handle while zippering but I only do it once and a while so no big deal. And as far as waterproof. So far 100% waterproof. This fall I rode through the worst rain and wind I have ever seen. Just about every car had pulled off the road and the only water I got on me was a couple of drips from between the face shield and the helmet oh and the front of my feet. The storm came on so fast in the mountains that I didn't have time to stop to put on rain boots.

Bottom line I couldn't be happier with the two piece suite!
I for the life of me can't figure why some RC's leak and some don't.

Bob, Can you confirm that yours has the new style zipper? This might be the pivotal factor.

I visited Sailah today and checked out his Darien Pants. They don't have the thru zipper and therefore more water resistant. But they have no interior lining and no ballistic on the knees/shins. Not the same level of protection, and they do not zip to the Jacket.

To get what he wanted he went w/the RC top/Darien Bottom combo like some others here.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #35
F.P.
Clown who is sick

Oddometer: 385
I've had the 2 piece RC since 2007 and fuggin love it. 99.9% I wear it as 1 piece, in fact the only time I split the set was riding through Death Valley (too HOT) and maybe one or two other times. I wore pants alone and the times I have done that it was without suspenders and had no problem, even when standing for long periods of time on the pegs (off road riding). I could probably get by with the 1 piece RC but like having the option to split the set. The only time it leaked at the crotch it was on a long rain ride (4+ hours of downpour) through the mountains and it was likely my fault as I didn't have the jacket secured at the bottom where it sits on my lap. One leak in 5 years and quit a few hours in the rain is pretty good in my opinion. Of course one leak is one too many but overall I am happy with the suit. Not too often do I hear/read a bad review of the RC.
FP
(my son at 8 years old)
F.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #36
Dave2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Never any problems with my Roadcrafter. Avg 10k a year. Had it since about 2006. Many hours + rides in the rain. Dry as a bone.

Also have the Darien Light jacket and pants. Same quality. Same rain resistance. Have had it since about 2010. Many downpoures. Many driy rides.

K1200RS 04
KLR 650 08
Dave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #37
kluoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I recently sold my 1PC roadcrafter (lost weight) and was gifted a very old 2PC RC. I washed and treated it and it worked great (no leaks) until I f$cked up the pant zipper. Maybe a good wash and retreat will help the wet crotch issues??? Use some of the spray on as well in that area........

"Shut up and ride!"
kluoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #38
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
2 pc RC suit

I was custom measured at the store and have a perfect fit. I wear it in all weather and am happy with it. The fabric is softer and fits better and is more weather proof if your wash it at least yearly as per their instructions. My zippers do not leak.
Most or the extra protection pieces hold in ok with velco, but the hip protectors are a bit of a nuisance; but they did work in a slide on gavel to protect my hips so I'm not complaining.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #39
Jeff B OP
I apologize

Well I ordered the Two pc RC and they said 4-6wks.

I ordered it w/o Velcro on both top and bottom. [Suggested by IndyChizzle] I did this w/risk, cause it's now considered a custom and non returnable.

This purchase for me is risky. Bottom line is the folks who posted that their RC's leaked at the crotch are telling the truth. So are the ones that said theirs didn't. Mine will come w/the latest Riri zippers, and I'm hoping this will make the difference. I also realized that the Darien bottoms were by design less prone to leakage, but I wanted the zip to jacket, extra protection, and sewn in liner the RC's provide.

Thanks everyone for the responses.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #40
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,125
Suggest you seam seal the stiching that secures the zippers to the suit (though I've not seen the new generration zip, and this may no longer be necessary), and, when you see rain on teh horizon, adjust the folds of fabric to eliminate the "soup bowl" that will likely naturally form in your lap.

After a few months, ScotchGuard may be necessary . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #41
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
crotch leaker

It depends on how the jacket overlaps the pants as to collecting a puddle of rain in your crotch. If it puddles ... yes, the zipper it will leak. Consider putting a diaper, inside out, underneath the pants covering your crotch to soak-up the rain.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #42
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
I haven't read all the posts above, but the leaking may be the result of water pooling in a dished seat.

IIRC, the Aerostich instructions include some tips for improving the crotch area waterproofing.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #43
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
But they have no interior lining and no ballistic on the knees/shins.
Are you referring to the Darien pants? Looks like they do have knee pads according to the description and the photos on their website. I'm interested in this because I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new pair of Dariens.

http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pan...ien-pants.html
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #44
Jeff B OP
I apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Are you referring to the Darien pants? Looks like they do have knee pads according to the description and the photos on their website. I'm interested in this because I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new pair of Dariens.

http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pan...ien-pants.html
The Dariens have knee elbow, and shoulder pads. It's just that there is no sewn in liner to install the pads. Instead you put the pads in w/Velcro.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #45
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
The Dariens have knee elbow, and shoulder pads. It's just that there is no sewn in liner to install the pads. Instead you put the pads in w/Velcro.

Thanks, I didn't quite understand that photo and now I do. Good knee protection is really important to me.
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote