User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
DirtHopper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Budget Build XR650l

I picked up this 94' XR650l in running condition with supermoto wheels spooled up to it.

after closer examination found that the rear of the farme was cracked and hack welded under the seat area.

So obviously the first thing I did was mend it. not the proffesional best, but way better than before and straighter too.

now I'm starting the rest of the tear down and clean up. I also have a CRF mid pipe I'm thinking of trying out.

This is intended to be my street toy, so right now I'm on the fence about cutting on the rear of the frame and doing a custom tail, or leaving it stock in case I may want to change wheels and do some trailing with it. If I go full street I was thinking of getting rid of the air box and using a Pod filter. I guess I'll now when I figure out the exhaust.

More to come next week
Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,047
Thumb

Good start.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
DirtHopper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

not too much progress at the moment. But I do have a new tank tanks to Palmer I also had to cut out a damaged section of subframe. You can see the dark section that was donated from an old ATC frame I had laying around. At least it was Honda metal I'm waiting for some cans to come in the mail so I can mock up the final placement for the exhaust. I'm digging the red tank over the white one. I'm thinking it will look bad ass against the white frame..

we will see
Old 04-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
DirtHopper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry all, after I started the project I went to training and have had no time. But I did get the gasket I needed to mock up the exhaust to see where it is going to sit. not welded yet, but maybe in a week or two after my training is complete.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
DirtHopper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally back on track

after starting my new job and getting my schedule, I finally am able to get back to my ride. Got the exhaust brackets welded up today and I'm going to be putting a parts list together this week. exhaust looks way better than stock, and I can't wait to get it together.

next I will be working on the battery tray and any finish fab work on the tail section.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
beyondhelp
likes cheese too.

Oddometer: 513
Nice job so far! I really want one of these supermoto and all. I can't wait to see what becomes of this.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Transalp Jas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Niiiiiice exhaust. Can't wait to see the finished bike.

Chuck Norrris has never gotten a Jeopardy question wrong. Jesus has missed two.
Transalp Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
DirtHopper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

YAY Parts!!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 748
Looks like a fun build! For that little piece that you replaced with the atc donor bits, did you put a slug inside each end? I'm not sure it's technically the best way to do it, but I would think you could have beveled the tubing ends then welded it up making sure you had penetration into the slug too. That way I think you could have ground down the weld making it almost seemless. Again, I don't know if that is technically the way to go, just something I would have done.

Carry on, I love these old XR's!
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,925
Shinkos? You were probably better off on the dry-rotted Conti SM's.

jk, I have a friend who swears by Shinkos on his DRZ SM.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Shinkos? You were probably better off on the dry-rotted Conti SM's.

jk, I have a friend who swears by Shinkos on his DRZ SM.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Lol well if you want something that you can toss into a slide easy I can't think of many tires that are as slippery as the shinko's except for maybe the dunlop roadsmarts lol.

I'm still holding out hope he will come out and say that those are power ones though lol.

They don't make bad dual sport tires suprisingly, but the sport bike tires blow like nothing else I've ever ridden lol.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
DirtHopper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaptor22 View Post
Lol well if you want something that you can toss into a slide easy I can't think of many tires that are as slippery as the shinko's except for maybe the dunlop roadsmarts lol.

I'm still holding out hope he will come out and say that those are power ones though lol.

They don't make bad dual sport tires suprisingly, but the sport bike tires blow like nothing else I've ever ridden lol.
well, i haven't had any experience with the Shinkos, but since this is a pure fun build I was going to try these out and work on something better later on. but if they slide out easy, then it will get me some practice on kickin it sideways on the pavement
Old 06-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
DirtHopper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad M View Post
Looks like a fun build! For that little piece that you replaced with the atc donor bits, did you put a slug inside each end? I'm not sure it's technically the best way to do it, but I would think you could have beveled the tubing ends then welded it up making sure you had penetration into the slug too. That way I think you could have ground down the weld making it almost seemless. Again, I don't know if that is technically the way to go, just something I would have done.

Carry on, I love these old XR's!
I did not slug it, but the ends were beveled before i welded the piece in to ensure penetration. one day I will have a lathe th make such things
Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtHopper View Post
well, i haven't had any experience with the Shinkos, but since this is a pure fun build I was going to try these out and work on something better later on. but if they slide out easy, then it will get me some practice on kickin it sideways on the pavement

Lol well all jokes aside those particular ones are their stickiest of the street tires, but aside from drag racing and doing burnouts they are not good for much else than keeping from scratching your rims on the pavement lol. The front has a much flatter profile than usual and the rear is even more extreme, it's usually almost square on most rims, dunno how tubes will effect the shape though, I know on atv tires it makes them more round and balloony than they are without.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
DirtHopper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaptor22 View Post
Lol well all jokes aside those particular ones are their stickiest of the street tires, but aside from drag racing and doing burnouts they are not good for much else than keeping from scratching your rims on the pavement lol. The front has a much flatter profile than usual and the rear is even more extreme, it's usually almost square on most rims, dunno how tubes will effect the shape though, I know on atv tires it makes them more round and balloony than they are without.
Well, I will be working on it more mid week and updating with new pics. I'll let you know how the tires work for me