ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
bogey78 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
bogey78's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Alabama
Oddometer: 576
Maxi Scooter then back to regular MC?

I thought Battle Scooters would be the best place to post this question. My only scooter experiences were an old early 80's Honda Express and a few years ago a 50cc Yamaha Zuma. I sold the Zuma b/c I found there were many places I didn't feel safe due to the relatively slow speed. However, I still remember how much fun it was to zip around on the little zoomer.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a Majesty, Burgman, Kymco, T-Max or another Maxiscooter. However, I wonder if I won't find myself longing for a regular bike after a few months. I have narrowed down my next bike purchase to either and FZ6, Ninja 650, Versys or a Maxi-Scoot. I love the storage, auto tranny, and weather protection of the scoots. I don't like removing body work for routine maintenance but I could deal with it.

My question is how many of you have moved from motorcycles to maxi scoots and then went back to motorcycles? And why?

Thanks
__________________
Bogey78
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Daboo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 30
I went from a motorcycle to a scooter...but had 20 years in between.

You might have a problem with the transition. The first two bikes you listed are capable of hitting triple digits with relative ease. The second bike is well suited for off-road riding. Even among those bikes, you're talking apples and oranges. And a maxi-scooter like a Burgman 400 would be like a pear...different again.

There are two big decisions that come to mind. Maybe three.
  1. What do you plan to use the bike for?
  2. Can your ego take it?
  3. Do you fit it?
For what I do, the Burgman 400 is the best bike made. Everything else is a compromise. It is fun and flickable in the corners. It'll take you down the freeway with great protection from wind, rain and cold...and has enough storage room to make a stop at Costco on the way home and surprise everyone on what you can carry home. It gets great gas mileage...like mid-60s, yet still has a decent amount of power. And it is comfortable. I rode mine on a SS1000 last June and felt very comfortable.


Can your ego take it? Even though it can do what no other bike can do...can your ego take it? Will your buddies give you a hard time? And is your manhood sufficient to shrug it off? In Europe, maxi-scooters are not looked down at. In the USA, unless you have a car engine strapped onto two wheels, you don't have enough power to make it to the local watering hole and back.


Each bike fits us differently. I love the 2007+ Burgman 400 and think it is the best there is. But if it doesn't fit you, that's immaterial.


The Burgman has another thing going for it that no other maxi-scooter has. The BurgmanUSA forum. The number of tutorials and videos of everything you'd do for maintenance is far better than for any other scooter. And maintenance is relatively easy...even I can do it...without removing much (if any) body panels.



Good luck on your search.


Chris
Daboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
jeffgrig
jeffgrig
 
jeffgrig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Illinois
Oddometer: 46
I had quite of few MC's growing up, including Honda CB750, Nighthawk, a Yamaha 650 and a Goldwing. After bikeless for a few years due to finances, I entered the 2-wheel market with scooters.

Honda Reflex, Yamaha Morpheus and Majesty and Burgman 650. I just sold my Burgie last year but I took it all over the country. You can read about that here:


http://thetouringexperience.blogspot...ooter-man.html

Last year I bought a 05 GW and this what I currently own. I was very happy with the Majesty and Burgman 650. the only reason I reverted back to a GW was that my wife expressed an interest again in long distance touring....which is my preference. Two up touring for two is doable on the maxi-scooter, but you pay a comfort price. Solo it is fine....read my road report above for details.

You wont regret a big scooter though. They are fun, easy to drive and great for quick jaunts. I would like another one some day. The GW is great, but if you're wondering if you're going to miss shifting........I didn't. Good luck.
__________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
jeffgrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer
 
HandKPhil's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southeast Michigan
Oddometer: 470
Back to motorcycles for me

I've had 10+ motorcycles over the last 10 years or so, but I got pretty big into scooters a few years back. I have owned 4 of them in the last 4-5 years. The last one I owned was an almost new '09 Majesty. Though it was a solid, well-made bike with a lot of good features, in the end it just wasn't for me. Basically it beat me up to ride it, and the acceleration from a stop was uninspiring.

For now, I'm going back to motorcycles. About the only bikes that I can seem to get comfortable on these days are plush-riding dual sports. I had a Versys for a few years, but the direct-acting rear shock on that bike was very harsh, and hard on my back.

The only scooters that appeal to me much anymore are those with a little more upright seating position, and decent rear suspensions. The Piaggio BV350 looks pretty nice, and I think that's one that could make me try scootering again. I'm also intrigued by the Kymco People GT 300i. Maybe even a SportCity 250?

I think I'll scratch my dual sport itch for a couple of years, and then at some point in the future I'll look back into the 300-350cc upright scooter world.
__________________
HandKPhil
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,787
There is a simple solution.............own one (or more) of each
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
Since you are considering sport bikes, I don't think you would be happy with a scooter. It is a lot easier to go from a touring bike or a cruiser to a scooter. My Goldwing handles better than a maxi scooter. I was planning on replacing it with one. But despite it's much higher weight, it's low center of gravity, large wheels, and great suspension give it a much better ride. It also handles much better in a parking lot for me.

I have a Vino 125, a Zuma 125, and a Genuine Stella 2 stroke. To me these are what scooters are all about. They are light, nimble, handle great, and have plenty of power for riding in town. I have over 24,000 miles on the '08 Vino I bought new, most of it highway miles on non freeway roads. It has been ridden at full throttle since new, and still runs as good as ever. Only problem is it eats rear tires, but I'm on the heavy side.

I would get the motorcycle you want, and a 125-150cc scooter.

To me, when people talk about scooters, they can be talking about 2 totally different things. Small scooters are a whole different animal than maxi scooters, and the two are not really interchangeable. Ideally I would like to have a 250-300cc scooter much like the old Honda Elite 250. Small, short, higher seat, looks like a scooter, but with enough displacement and power for the freeway.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer
 
MODNROD's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Midwest, West Oz
Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I would get the motorcycle you want, and a 125-150cc scooter.

.
This says it for me too.

I love my little 125 scoot, ride it everywhere, shops, highway, gravel, the lot. I'm happy pottering down the highway at only 90kph though, in part, due to a dragbike in the shed.

I don't think I could live without a BIG hit every now and then, and scoots, ANY scoot, doesn't cut it there.
__________________
This Signature line is intentionally left blank.
MODNROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: West coast British Columbia
Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey78 View Post
I thought Battle Scooters would be the best place to post this question. My only scooter experiences were an old early 80's Honda Express and a few years ago a 50cc Yamaha Zuma. I sold the Zuma b/c I found there were many places I didn't feel safe due to the relatively slow speed. However, I still remember how much fun it was to zip around on the little zoomer.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a Majesty, Burgman, Kymco, T-Max or another Maxiscooter. However, I wonder if I won't find myself longing for a regular bike after a few months. I have narrowed down my next bike purchase to either and FZ6, Ninja 650, Versys or a Maxi-Scoot. I love the storage, auto tranny, and weather protection of the scoots. I don't like removing body work for routine maintenance but I could deal with it.

My question is how many of you have moved from motorcycles to maxi scoots and then went back to motorcycles? And why?

Thanks
I have both; a V-Strom 1000, a Suzuki C90 cruiser and a SYM Citycom scooter. The scooter sees the most everyday use. It's handy, goes plenty fast with an honest 70 mph cruising speed and with sixteen inch wheels and a stout frame and good steering geometry, is a blast in the corners. The V-Strom has it's uses still; say if I'm going on a cross country trip camping, but I find the scooter more fun for the urban cut and thrust and for day runs in the mountains.

The Versys is a bike I especially like for it's strong punchy midrange and agile handling. For pure fun it beats even my scooter hands down but it isn't as practical. Still if I wanted a bike for mainly backroad fun, it would be hard to beat.

For me the ultimate would be a Versys for backroad fun and a midsize scoot like my Citycom when I was more in the cruiser mood, but a cruiser that really handles. Handlingwise, those two bikes are remarkably similar.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #9
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: West coast British Columbia
Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Since you are considering sport bikes, I don't think you would be happy with a scooter. It is a lot easier to go from a touring bike or a cruiser to a scooter. My Goldwing handles better than a maxi scooter. I was planning on replacing it with one. But despite it's much higher weight, it's low center of gravity, large wheels, and great suspension give it a much better ride. It also handles much better in a parking lot for me.

I have a Vino 125, a Zuma 125, and a Genuine Stella 2 stroke. To me these are what scooters are all about. They are light, nimble, handle great, and have plenty of power for riding in town. I have over 24,000 miles on the '08 Vino I bought new, most of it highway miles on non freeway roads. It has been ridden at full throttle since new, and still runs as good as ever. Only problem is it eats rear tires, but I'm on the heavy side.

I would get the motorcycle you want, and a 125-150cc scooter.

To me, when people talk about scooters, they can be talking about 2 totally different things. Small scooters are a whole different animal than maxi scooters, and the two are not really interchangeable. Ideally I would like to have a 250-300cc scooter much like the old Honda Elite 250. Small, short, higher seat, looks like a scooter, but with enough displacement and power for the freeway.
I would take a good modern midsize scooter for most of my riding over any maxi. They are quick responsive, really handle and are just a joy to ride without the plastic issues. I enjoy the performance of my 263 SYM on the highway and my only reason for considering a 400cc Maxi in the future would be for camping touring If I ever get rid of my 1000 V-strom.

I still enjoy the effortless performance of the big bike but for most of the riding I do it's overkill. It was a shock to my system to find that I was enjoying riding the smaller machine more, especially in tight twisties and on rural backroads.

The scooter gets used for the kind of riding I used to use my cruiser for.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Collinsville Va
Oddometer: 1,595
I've got both and the reason is, the scooter is a practical vehicle for me. It's how I get back and forth to work, grocery shop, and get my daughter to soccer practice. I never wash it, it's got a basket mounted to the back but somehow manages to receive 90% on my seat time.
My motorcycle on the other hand stirs my emotions. I wash it pretty much every time I ride it, keep it garaged and covered and sometimes I find myself during those cold winter months uncovering it and just gazing upon it. It's the one nice thing I have.
Obviously, if I could have only one it would be the scooter as practicality rules in the end. I tried scooter only for 2 years and always felt a little empty.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
The world would be a better place if there were fewer people who felt like they needed to teach other people a lesson.
2007 Daelim S-2 250
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator
 
DOUBLE-O G's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Oddometer: 2,438
I have gone back and forth several times.
I had a 2006 Yamaha Majesty followed by several motorcycles (including a Gold Wing for 10 months) then a 2009 Yamaha T-Max and then again several motorcycles since then. I like it all. I liked the Majesty's riding position better than the T-Max's but the T-Max really felt like a motorcycle.
Like others have said before it depends on the kind of riding you're going to do. If it's a lot of urban/ traffic commuting, a maxi scooter might be better. If you're going to do weekend rides and ride on back roads, a motorcycle is hard to beat for that. There's just a certain pleasure to switching gears on tight curves.
Check what fits your body best. I just got rid of a Versys after only 2 weeks of ownership. Nice little bike overall but terrible riding position for me (I'm 6ft tall with a 32 inseam).
__________________
2013 Honda Super Cub
DOUBLE-O G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
I have a Goldwing 1500, a Vulcan 750, an XT225, a Genuine Stella 2 stroke, a Vino 125, and recently bought a Zuma 125. The Vino and Zuma definitely get the most use of all of them. They are the everyday bikes. The Stella is fun to tinker with and ride short distances, but I don't think I would trust it on a trip. The XT is mostly for dirt road and off road riding, and the Goldwing and Vulcan for longer trips. I did not have the Goldwing when I got the Vino, and really got into long distance touring with the Vino. It was completely different than anything else I had ever done. I put 24,000 miles on it in 5 years. I am currently setting up the Zuma as a touring rig. If you have the time, and stay off the freeways, you can go anywhere on a 125cc scooter. I've taken 1000 mile trips on the Vino with no problems. A lot of fun for a little money, and didn't have to get to far fro home to spend a lot of time on the road. As I get older, and my arthritis gets worse, I may eventually give up motorcycles altogether for scooters. I have been all over the U.S. on motorcycles, now I would like to slow down and check out some of the backroads. To me, riding is riding. It's fun any way you do it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
O-livier
S'en fout la mort!
 
O-livier's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Back in the SF Bay!
Oddometer: 188
scoot

I have both as well. Scoot for pratical purposes (with fun = Tmax!) and a big, clean, ultra farkled GS for long week ends/ dream of "The" trip. Scoot vs. bike = different "vibe" and each have pros/ cons which is subjective.

I started with scooters in Europe and progressively moved to an 1150 GS. 15 years after my last scooter, I added a 2009 Tmax to the stable as wanted something more functional! I had tested the Tmax in Paris in 2001 and was blown away by the performances... yet, pressure pushed me towards getting motorcycles all this time...

I love the GS in the twisties shifting gears up/down and feeling the engine/ vibrations. Feels like a Cadillac and sense of safety is much higher as standing tall on a heavy bike. The Tmax on twistie roads handles just as well as a GS assuming the road surface is good (small wheels). Trajectories are as sharp as on the GS so similar in that sense. The Tmax is however much more delicate to manage in such mountain roads as ALL in the the hands of the rider (braking/ accelerating).

You can find pleasure in riding a maxi-scooter since the boundaries between the two (scoot and bike) are getting closer and closer (bigger wheels, better handling, excellent braking). The maxi scoots are great machines and suit a particular "need"/ riding environment. For me, the GS is for open roads/ mountains/ twisties and the Tmax is for commuting/ short rides/ stop & go environment/ more functional.

As others have mentioned, if I had to keep one in the garage, the Tmax would be it (but would greatly miss the GS - aka. garage queen!)
__________________
O-livier
09 Yamaha 500 Tmax - Love it!
02 "BigTTine" 1150 GS Adv.
01 KTM 400 EXC
O-livier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: West coast British Columbia
Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I have gone back and forth several times.
I had a 2006 Yamaha Majesty followed by several motorcycles (including a Gold Wing for 10 months) then a 2009 Yamaha T-Max and then again several motorcycles since then. I like it all. I liked the Majesty's riding position better than the T-Max's but the T-Max really felt like a motorcycle.
Like others have said before it depends on the kind of riding you're going to do. If it's a lot of urban/ traffic commuting, a maxi scooter might be better. If you're going to do weekend rides and ride on back roads, a motorcycle is hard to beat for that. There's just a certain pleasure to switching gears on tight curves.
Check what fits your body best. I just got rid of a Versys after only 2 weeks of ownership. Nice little bike overall but terrible riding position for me (I'm 6ft tall with a 32 inseam).
It's too bad you gave up on the Versys so quickly. It's true the seating is horrible but what my engineer brother did with his was to buy one of the heavy duty rubber Air Hawks and pump it up. The firm Air Hawk fits on the seat great; I'm over six four and 60 years old so I don't bend like I used to, and I found it a comfortable ride. Brother rode my 1000 V-Strom and said he thought his Versys is more fun and I have to agree.

I especially liked the scooter like agility. Brother wasn't impressed when I said that riding the Versys reminded me of my SYM Citycom. LOL
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
I have not ridden a Versys, but sat on one, the riding position felt perfect to me. The bars and pegs were in the right place (I was comparing it to a gen 2 EX500, one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever ridden) The Versys had an upright riding position, with pegs straight down, not rearsets that require an extreme knee bend. The bars were high enough that I had a good bend in my elbow. The only thing I don't know about was the seat. I would have to spend some time in the saddle to find out about that. I am 6' 220 with a 34" inseam. I have not bought one, or a similar bike, because I expect to buy only one more new bike in my life, and expect that it will probably be a midsize cruiser. My bought new '02 Vulcan 750 has 74,000 miles on it, and has been the most comfortable bike I have ever had. I have never regretted buying it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014