Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #46
hooliken OP
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,752
Ahhhhhhhh...The 2nd gear corner exit "torque" wheelies. What a great feeling. The KTM will do the same but she has to be wound up a little more.

Couple things that I have missed greatly.
1. That lump of V-twin shaking everything around at a stop.
2. Hearing the fan screaming when you shut her off.

The funniest quote since getting another Buell:

From "Redneck Randy" standing and looking at my bike at a 7-11.

"Buell, isn't that Harleys answer for them there crotch rockets?"
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #47
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Couple things that I have missed greatly.
1. That lump of V-twin shaking everything around at a stop.
2. Hearing the fan screaming when you shut her off.
Regarding #2, that's one thing I've grown to love about Buell meets: 5-10 Buells pulling up someplace after a "spirited" ride through the twisties, all the riders shutting off and hearing 5-10 fans come on at once. "WHEOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!".

LOUD FANS SAVE LIVES!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #48
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 450
Man, I need a sticker that says that.

Posted during work using magic

argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:24 AM   #49
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
^ That is crazy low miles for an 06. $6k seems like a reasonable offer.
I spoke with the dealership owner today on the phone. Told him I could do $6,000.

He said; "I need another number. $6,000 won't work".

OK, I said. "How about $5,900 then?"

It took me about 10 minutes to get 'em down to $6,250.

Going for a test ride Saturday. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Supposed to be 55 degrees. Unheard of for December. Not sure what to think...that kinda dough would get me a good Vee-Strom. Can't sleep...

One question: The DR650 is my first cycle. I've got 22k on it now. Should I move strait to the Uly or buy a bit more of an intermidiate HP bike first (Vee Strom, or 800XC) ? I'm kind of concerned that the Uly is going to be some sort of crazy ass widow maker. You guys know these things better than I do, that's why I'm asking.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #50
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by argentcorvid View Post
Man, I need a sticker that says that.

Posted during work using magic
Drop Russ a note: http://www.got2motographics.com/
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #51
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter

Oddometer: 936
I went from a Klr to the Uly and it was a great move. There is a good jump in power berween the two but its all nice and usable. You will have to try real hard to flip yourself over backwards.

A little front end lift when laying the throttle on lean forward a little and crank it up. Dont be afraid but it is adicting.
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #52
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Its a fun bike.. But

Its quirky. You have to understand the noises these engines sometimes make, they can be loud and obnoxious sounding. Sometimes youll scratch your head, Like I am trying to figure out an odd ticking t 2500-2900 rpm, but only during very light throttle, it disappears if I roll on the throttle. Its annoying to not really have dealer support, and to basically get all your information regarding the bike and how to diagnose it and more importantly fix it, off the few web sites that support the bike.
That being said, I have to say, it is the most fin bike I have ever had, and even two-up, downshifts are rarely necessary. Its a torque monster, handles like a dream. Two nights ago, it was 35 degrees out, I was riding to a bible study class, and the moon was full, the stars were out, and as I was riding past the lake, I just started giggling. Yup, I was partially frozen, looking for deer, and at the same time giggling my arse off. Never had a bike do that to me in almost 40 years on em.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #53
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Uly

We just completed a 105 mile ride on the 08 Uly, 15 miles was on Forestry Approved gravel roads in a National Park.

Saw several of bambi's family as well as Tom Turkey and clan.

Uly could use a bit more rear brake for slippery off camber downhills, however/,,,,,,, all went well and the Uly did not take any dirt naps.

Try one you will like it

Ride safe

Part of the attraction, In our mind, of the Uly is that there is such a wide cross section of riders and support folks. You are not "stuck" with a Dealer who does not give a hoot about your issues with the bike.

Badweatherbikers, as well as several other sites have a plethora of sources for help.

Besides, if you work on it yourself you will know it is done correctly.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #54
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
I've spoken with this guy about his Uly. He said he used "r" forks & shock to lower it. Not sure if this a good mod, but I also have a 30" inseam with bad knees. I'm almost strictly a street rider, though groomed dirt & gravel roads don't scare me.
Thoughts?
Hi Bob it's Larry, I used to see you at rallys quite a bit when I rode my beemer. If the stock suspension comes with the bike it wouldn't be hard to put it back. You can also get a lowering collar for the rear that will drop it by an inch or so. Many guys report using it with no mod to the front end and with good results. If you want to check mine out for stock height you are welcome to stop in and see how it fits. It is a bit challenging for me at times and I have a 32" inseam. I've considered the lowering collar myself.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #55
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
I have used the lowering collar myself without moving the forks up and had no handling problems. Using the collar does soften up the rear some. with about 500 lbs payload on the bike I could feel the belt "thrum" when hitting big dips at speed down in Texas hill country. At normal loads & speeds, I never had any problems at all. It lowers the seat 3/4-1 inch. I have a spare lowering collar laying around here somewhere, if someone would like to try one for themselves.

Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #56
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
PM sent on collar.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #57
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Lowering Collar

We also have one for sale on badweb if anyone needs another one.

We mated the lowering collar with the 14 1/2 shock from a Buell TT.

Lowered the bike to the point we can get both feet on the ground on those nasty off camber slippery parking lots.

LOL

The collar only lowers the seat height 1/2". You can set the sag to gain additional lowering,

Good Luck

Ride Em

Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #58
motofan936
FNG

Oddometer: 38
This is a great thread.
I don't spend a lot of time on here searching for Uly threads, so it was nice to find a current one. I drove about 350 mi. from Indy to Mo. to pick my '08 XT up in March(and rode her home). She had just over 6K on the ticker and now shows 20.5K. I'm not sure yet that she is my G.O.A.T. bike, but she definitely is toward the top of the list.
This bike makes me very happy. She is currently my daily commuter, main mean of transport, and two up weekend escape pod. I have many adventures in mind that I hope to share in the next few years, and they all revolve around this bike. The only regret I have is that I would have found a deal like this on an X model instead of the XT.

'08 XB12XT Uly,'06Roadglide,06CRF250
Less judgment than wit is more sail than ballast.
motofan936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #59
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Have we got a deal for you

08 Uly X in the classifieds.

LOL

Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #60
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealOldDualSportGuy View Post
08 Uly X in the classifieds.

LOL

I'm trying to tell my buddy to give yours a look. He's looking at older ones with less miles. I told him I vote for yours.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote