Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,060
The reason they mentionto wait and "permeate the plates" is, air bubbles can be trapped, and the seperator plates are porous, so the acid needs time to get in there. CHARGING before this time has passed, can, conceivably be bad for the plates. The vent, isn't so critical. You're fine.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,336
I never charge a motorcycle battery at more than 1 amp. You can safely leave it on a 1 amp charger for 24 hours. As someone said, not all batteries work right with those battery maintainers. But if the battery is charged, or has been on the charger long enough, and still won't start the bike, there is a problem. If you can jumpstart the bike, then the battery is bad.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
lstehbens OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Well I'm going to get that multimeter i linked earlier and a battery charger from the same place 1-4amp adjustable. Ideally I'd like to do the battery at 0.6 amp for 5-10hrs as stated on the battery, but seems I can't find a charger that is adjustable and goes that low.
lstehbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
This sort of things comes up every year. When you replace a battery and put your own electrolyte in, you should always let it sit for about an hour before putting the battery into use or putting it on a charger. That being said, I have often just plugged it into the bike or car and carried on as normal. I seriously doubt that you have done any damage whatsoever to the battery.

On the other hand, the Battery Tender type chargers really aren't meant to charge a dead battery. They are designed and meant to maintain a battery at or near peak power. They "charge" at such a low amperage (usually around 5ma or 1/2 amp, they are only meant to keep the battery at it's given peak ratings. I have seen a lot of Battery Tenders die early because of being used to try and charge a dead battery. They just work their little butts off and eventually croak.

I have used a 4 amp charger to bring dead batteries up to charge for years. Mine also kicks down to a low .5 amp when the battery is up to full charge, and will kick on and off as required. If I have to get a battery charged up quickly I bring out the 12 amp charge and only use it on the battery for a maximum of 1 hour at a time.

You have to remember that when you are charging a battery, the faster you push amps into it, the more heat is created. Heat is a big killer for batteries.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
lstehbens OP
Adventurer

Well I've got my goodies

Its at 13.01v after all that charging. The Yuasa PDF I linked earlier says 12.8v - 13v fully charged. So am I good? The battery charger (the first one I was using not my new one I just bought) hadn't gone into float mode.

Or should I let it sit 30mins then test charge again?

lstehbens screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 08:21 PM
Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Let it set for 30 min. then test again. It should not drop too much. I would use the trickle charger on it whenever you park it each night, for about a week. Then try it over night without charger and see how it goes. Should be fine.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:13 AM   #22
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
ma is milliamps

have you stuck it in the bike and tried it?

you probably dont need to charge it. the chemical reactions between the acid you put in and the lead of the plates makes the battery work. you may need to charge it in a few years when it is worn to kinda re-activate this reaction
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #23
lstehbens OP
Adventurer

Seems to be working all good.

I didn't use my new 1-4 charger on it - just the trickle charger. Just tested it now its 12.94V which seems good.

I also tested it after going away for 2 days just after I had charged it with the trickle charger and it was still around the same sort of area. I've been riding the bike and it seems a lot happier starting up and feels strong. I think the old battery was just shite.

I haven't even opened 1-4 amp charger. Was thinking of taking it back since I haven't used it. Thoughts?