Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #46
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
Might as well add the R12GS to the list of possibilities.

It's the best bike I've ever owned.
+1... (mine was an '05 non ABS, video in sig line )

This is the '05 Tiger I have now, a great bang for the buck bike (have a little less than $5K in it) with a sweet triple that keeps me grinning as well.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #47
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
Here's the thing about BMWs, and it could be sacrilegious to say it, especially here: I don't trust them. First, the cost of repair on these ,a hinges seems higher compared to other bikes. True or not, I don't know, but that has been my overriding perception.

Second, I have a buddy who had problems with his servo unit on the ABS. His bike locked up and down he went. Not cool. Even less cool is that this has been a documented problem with BMW ABS and they don't seem to be terribly interested in recalling the bikes. They'd rather, it seems, have owners come in and spend the $2k to get the thing fixed.

Like I said, brand me a heretic and burn me at the ADV stake, but I just can't get past that perception...
I will admit I have only had mine for one year and 9,780 miles. Not a lot. To date I have had zero issues (other than cupping the front Anakee 2 AGAIN!!!).

I believe the 1150 is a different animal than the 1200. I will concede the ABS issue. But you can remove it if you want, and the whole process looks to take a weekend of careful work by a novice. Me? I'm keeping it. I have a second servo in case.

No, not defending the brand. Well maybe.

I have read the stories, they are there. But the ride and capability have outweighed the possible downsides. For now.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #48
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,200
+1 on the 955i Tiger. Great 2-up do-it-all bike for the riding conditions you describe. Lots of soul with one of the best motors ever to be placed between 2 wheels.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #49
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51
I'll throw another vote on for the Multistrada. If you're only going to have one bike (and can afford a 2nd set of wheels) this is the bike to have. On street tires it will outpace anything else in it's class. Throw a set of TKC's on and it will keep up with any similarly sized bike in the dirt. Truly the best of both worlds.

ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #50
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
I would suggest a Triumph Tiger, either the 955i or the older version both pictured below. Can be had for under your budget, will do what your asking of it 1 or 2 up and is just simply a BLAST. Durable & reliable. If you are looking for something that "stirs your soul" and single-twins or 4 bangers ain't doin it, do yourself a HUGE favor and go play with a triple. You'll be hooked.
A pic of my 955i:

And an older version Tiger like a 97-or 98 model belonging to a fellow inmate here, hope he doesn't mind I used his pic.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #51
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Here's the thing about BMWs, and it could be sacrilegious to say it, especially here: I don't trust them. First, the cost of repair on these ,a hinges seems higher compared to other bikes. True or not, I don't know, but that has been my overriding perception.
It's no problem to run them down here, or their owners. I had no idea I was a rich, pompous, brand loyal, stuck up, Starbucks loving, asshat that had no idea how to spend my own money properly until I said something nice about my '05 GS here...

Quote:
Second, I have a buddy who had problems with his servo unit on the ABS. His bike locked up and down he went. Not cool. Even less cool is that this has been a documented problem with BMW ABS and they don't seem to be terribly interested in recalling the bikes. They'd rather, it seems, have owners come in and spend the $2k to get the thing fixed.
I opted for the non ABS model in '05, looks like I made the best decision in that regard. Although I have no personal experience one way or the other, only things I have read here.

Quote:
Like I said, brand me a heretic and burn me at the ADV stake, but I just can't get past that perception...
Heck, that's your opinion, if someone else doesn't agree, or like it, then it's their problem.

If you really want to wad some panties, and have a defender parade, it's as easy as typing POS, & HD in the same sentence..

Just glad I bought my GS in '05 BEFORE joining this forum.....

Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #52
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,268
good grief .. some of the pigs suggested is amazing ... don't get me wrong. not saying a beast is not a good bike. just not for much dirt riding.

"One bike to do it all" means a somewhat lighter bike.

your margin of error slinging around say a 575lb + gear (Super Tenere) bike on the dirt is very slim indeed. a Tiger or 800GS at 460lb + gear gets closer.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #53
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 113
Well, glad nobody is grabbing their torches and pitchforks, yet....

Question about the 955i: it looks to me that the stock seat slopes down. Is a seat upgrade recommended for two-up? Asking because I did see an '05 in decent shape and the posts here have me thinking....
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #54
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post

your margin of error slinging around say a 575lb + gear (Super Tenere) bike on the dirt is very slim indeed. a Tiger or 800GS at 460lb + gear gets closer.
Another MAJOR reason I was looking at El Tigre....
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #55
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Question about the 955i: it looks to me that the stock seat slopes down. Is a seat upgrade recommended for two-up? Asking because I did see an '05 in decent shape and the posts here have me thinking....
There will be varying opinions on seats for sure. My bike had the triumph gel rider's seat on it when I bought it. To me it was more "U" shaped feeling locking me in one position (I'm a big guy tho).

After doing a little research it appeared the Corbin was the most liked/bought aftermarket seat for the 955i, so I had one of them built to suit me. I really like it thus far as well. It definitely gives me more room for movement.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #56
4jranch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Interesting thread. I think multi-bikes may be an honest answer. A single bike to accomplish all your goals, doubt it. If you could rank the goals in order of importance and pick a bike that can do the top two or three well, that should work. I have a ST1300A, (great for touring,heavy for around town), and a F800GS, (great for around town and dirt roads, but two up and touring- not so much). They all all compromises. Great suggestions given, ride them all if you can then pick the best compromise. Or buy a 2nd bike...
4jranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #57
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten.98 View Post
Throw a set of TKC's on and it will keep up with any similarly sized bike in the dirt.

Well, at least until the cast wheels crack anyway

Wicked looking bike for sure! Any more pics of it ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #58
ortho55
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question what to get

I was getting back to dual sport last summer ( family medical emergency postponed it big time). Used to ride a 250 Enduro Yamaha about 25 years ago . I am no spring chicken ( 57 years old but in good shape) .
I am looking into adventure motorcycling such as the Trans American Trail and wonder if the 1200 GS Rally with its 600 pound weight is not too much bike for me. I would love a smaller bike but with good range.
I have ridden KLRs extensively about 8 years ago as rentals in Alaska and Mexico (Baja) . Likes I but found them a bit uncomfortable for long rides.
Any suggestions or just bite the bullet and try to tame the big Bimmer.
Thanks
ortho55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #59
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho55 View Post
I was getting back to dual sport last summer ( family medical emergency postponed it big time). Used to ride a 250 Enduro Yamaha about 25 years ago . I am no spring chicken ( 57 years old but in good shape) .
I am looking into adventure motorcycling such as the Trans American Trail and wonder if the 1200 GS Rally with its 600 pound weight is not too much bike for me. I would love a smaller bike but with good range.
I have ridden KLRs extensively about 8 years ago as rentals in Alaska and Mexico (Baja) . Likes I but found them a bit uncomfortable for long rides.
Any suggestions or just bite the bullet and try to tame the big Bimmer.
Thanks
Youll be fine on it until you hit the eastern slope. Colo, Utah (TAT proper) and Nevada will having you wish you were on a 650 or smaller type bike. You can do it, but you'll questioning your decision I guarantee.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #60
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
good grief .. some of the pigs suggested is amazing ... don't get me wrong. not saying a beast is not a good bike. just not for much dirt riding.

Just for the record, I am not recommending anyone ride motocross, hare scrambles, enduros, or even goat trails on a 955i Tiger. That being said, if one can not ride the Tiger solo/2up on dirt/gravel roads, it's not the bike's fault.

Have also found that the heavier, and more expensive the adventure bike, the less likely I am to do stupid chit with it off pavement. Bout killed myself on many "light" dirt bikes over the years, but only dumped the GS a couple of times off pavement, neither resulting in bike, or flesh damage...

YMMV as always