Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #106
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
Youll end up with multiple bikes. It happens to us all.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #107
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
There are 650 ds older than dinosaurs, there are another which ain't reliable exotic and overpriced at the same time, and there is a new Husky, which is naked and going to be discontinued before the 2d year of production.

Tough choice.
yes I agree the is a big hole in the new & updated 650 dual-sport market.

it looked like Husky had a home run with it's new bike for the price, but the KTM deal has raised more questions than answers. The KTM is a sweet bike, but is $$$ and then requires work & mod$ to get it there. Then there are the Japanese, who are conservative and don't want to spend $ updating their bikes (DR & KLR) or even bringing them in (660 Tenere).

I went for the DR because it is a older and proven design and something I can rely on when i'm riding in BFE or Mexico. With the cheaper purchase price, I then upgraded to how I like it and my needs as it's a solid blank slate bike. It does not work for everyone, but works for me and many others.

I'm hoping the Japanese can finally push through one day and Suzuki updates the DR as does Kawi the KLR. Kawi, especially, could make one hell of a package with that 650 twin in a bike like the 800gs & 800xc design concept.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #108
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 113
I went and checked out a Multistrada. Nice bike and it's going to sound nuts to some of you I'm sure, but it really didn't appeal to me. It actually felt "small" to me. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it felt less substantial than I thought it would. Weird. Also, the tank issues put me off. I understand you can get the Caswell treatment as a remediation, but the fact they take the old tank out and put the exact same tank back in seems stupid to me. Couple that with 7500 mile service intervals and it just didn't feel "right"...seemed like a GREAT deal though: $7,000 for a bike with 1200 miles on it.

So, still going to look at the Uly, Tiger 955 (if i can find one...) and the Stroms (not sure the wee can handle two up effectively? Thoughts?).

Interestingly, I have also seen a couple of Tiger 800 roadies coming down toward my range...
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #109
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
I went and checked out a Multistrada. Nice bike and it's going to sound nuts to some of you I'm sure, but it really didn't appeal to me. It actually felt "small" to me. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it felt less substantial than I thought it would. Weird. Also, the tank issues put me off. I understand you can get the Caswell treatment as a remediation, but the fact they take the old tank out and put the exact same tank back in seems stupid to me. Couple that with 7500 mile service intervals and it just didn't feel "right"...seemed like a GREAT deal though: $7,000 for a bike with 1200 miles on it.
Ya, the gen 1 Multi does feel small compared to a V or 800 XC/GS - at least to me. For me, its the cockpit that creates that feeling as well as the bikes overall narrow width. I still think the gen 1 Multi was a just a step away from a sport bike but the current Multi took a couple of steps towards the adventure bike 'model' - which makes sense based on how a lot of the gen 1 owners used and modified their bikes,
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #110
GordyOZ
Lesser grey wobbler

Oddometer: 267
Just last monday I threw my wife on the back of my wee=strom and took off for a town 70 miles away for a coffee and hamburger, mixed tar and dirt road riding, some steep hills and heavy vehicles to pass. The bike did it all without any stress or agitation, held it's lines everywhere, no need to peg back a gear to overtake on the hills and the wife has no complaints about the ride.

here is the clincher, the combined weight of pillion and rider is 429 lbs. The bike is a 2011 DL650 with a staintune exhaust, crash bars, soft panniers, top box and a B & B bashplate.

The DL1000 by all reports is a lot lazier to carry a pillion and luggage but when I rode one I found that it was a lot less balanced on gravel surfaces, the wee on the other hand just.

We are of to a rally at the end of april, 700 miles in two days of mixed tar and dirt roads, we'll see how that goes and report back
Old 03-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #111
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

BCO- the cockpit and narrowness you report are spot on. My SV 1000 actually feels more substantial than the MTS.

Thanks for the report on the Wee, Oz. is that a stock seat you're running?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #112
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,834
We ride a DR650SE over 100 miles at a crack, but we're fairly small people...5'8"/200lb/30"inseam and 5'4"/petite/30"inseam. It has about enough power with just a jetted carb and opened intake, but we're at sea-level.

I wouldn't want to go any smaller or less powerful for long trips 2up. We take breaks every 100 miles or so. By the same token, I wouldn't want to wrestle with something much taller or heavier by myself in muddy or sandy singletrack, and I'm ridiculously strong for my size. Riding with at least 1 other person is recommended for anything much heavier. Picking it up in sand or mud isn't the issue. Hauling it out of fender-deep burial in a hole that you can barely stand up in IS.

If you never ride slop alone, at my size, you could take a taller/heavier bike through the nasty stuff. Graded roads and non-technical trails would be a non-issue on something like a Uly with appropriate tires. One guy around here even rides his in the sand with us DR guys, and it has a bit more passenger room and comfort than a stock DR. He hauled me back to my bike after we had to drop one rider and his bike at the nearest hospital. It was pretty comfy, and had lazy torque for hauling 2.

Kommando screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 04:31 PM
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #113
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Most of my riding is going to be street, so the DR probably wouldn't be my first choice. Looks like it would be loads of fun in the dirt, though.....
Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #114
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Ended up getting a great deal on the Tiger 800 Roadie. Thanks for all of the help and insight!

Can't wait to start racking up miles.....and Farkling!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #115
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
Ended up getting a great deal on the Tiger 800 Roadie. Thanks for all of the help and insight!

Can't wait to start racking up miles.....and Farkling!

Beautiful bike!!! Might as well start depositing 1/3 of your paychecks in a separate account named "True Love"
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #116
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

The Farkles Slush Fund has been started. Of course, looking at this thread, I should probably start the Second Bike Fund as well.