Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
Pilgrim21784
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 84
Mashed up ankle from Viet Nam, didn't leave me a lot of choices. Foot shifting more than a few times was not fun. Scooters (or autos, owned a Honda VFR DCT) gave me a way to enjoy two wheels and the freedom of the ride.

Plus, on my Silverwing, VFR or TMAX, it was kind of fun to leave the Harleys at the stoplight. They make a lot of noise but don't cut it for acceleration.
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #17
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Words like friendly, nimble, useful, practical describe the scooter. It makes everyday life fun. I don't have to ride hundreds of miles to get to the' really good stuff ' to feel like it's worthwhile, like on my big bikes. I also don't have to spend effort and enjoyment compensating for excessive power or bulk.

Small bikes have always been fun but they were also cramped, uncomfortable and demanding. When I was 16 that was cool and definately part of the fun. Now at age 60 not so much. The scooter has much of the room and comfort of big bikes and much of the fun of small bikes without the shortcomings.

I can just get on and ride and enjoy the capabilities of the machine without aggravation. Other drivers are also less aggressive which is a big plus and people in general are more friendly. It's all the chocolate goodness, with none of the chocolate mess. LOL
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #18
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I find that scooters follow the 80%/20% rule. For 20% of the cost and trouble I get 80% of the reward. There is also the elegance of a faired 2 wheeler that is narrow. A floor to shift my feet around. A spare mounted tire on the back and interchangeable wheels. 80 mpg. I can repair it by the side of the road. Room to carry stuff. Really fun to drive. It just goes and goes. Easy to manage. I really think the best riding is under 60 mph.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #19
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Another thing I like about my Maxi is that my wife has asked to go along again .

We have ridden thousands of miles together in the past , but then she just sort of started staying at home. I don't think she wants to tour any longer , but day trips are going to be more fun again. Plus she now has a place to store stuff she want to buy on those trips more easily.
Took her out for an hour yesterday in the brisk air , she enjoyed it
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #20
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
I also like scoots because they allowed my wife to drive a 600cc bike. I was riding around one day and my wife came out to tell me dinner was ready. I had to park the bike in the garage and she needed to get something. So for some reason I told her to hop on the bike, I had her sit in front. She put her hands on the bar while we drove over. I said grab the throttle, so she started giving the bike some gas and steering. Ten minutes later I've scooted to the back seat and she's driving around our neighborhood with me on the back. My wife is tiny at 4'11 so when we came to a stop in had to put my feet down. She really enjoyed herself. Now she wants a scooter so I'm on a quest to find a bike that will let her get both feet on the ground. She had a razz many years ago but I don't think she'd enjoy keeping up with the Silverwing on the little razz. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a helix. I'm hoping she will be able to touch the ground with super low seat the helix is known for. So scooters at least made the idea possible of my wife riding again there is no way she could have hopped on the Vstrom to try it out.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I love scooters because

You can wash and polish them in a fraction of the time it takes to wash a bike. I thought about this whenever I was washing my Harley.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
And I can have two.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
[QUOTE= My wife is tiny at 4'11 so when we came to a stop I had to put my feet down. She really enjoyed herself. Now she wants a scooter so I'm on a quest to find a bike that will let her get both feet on the ground. She had a razz many years ago but I don't think she'd enjoy keeping up with the Silverwing on the little razz. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a helix. I'm hoping she will be able to touch the ground with super low seat the helix is known for. So scooters at least made the idea possible of my wife riding again there is no way she could have hopped on the Vstrom to try it out.[/QUOTE]

I once did a comparison of the Honda Helix and the Yamaha Morphous. Here are the specs: (notice the seat height of the Morphous which is even lower than the Helix.)

There is a web site where Japanese girls (which are in the main, small in stature) show off their customized scoots. Some of which are the Morphous. But over there they
call it the MAXAM and the Helix is called the FUSION) They certainly seem to love scooters and scootering over there.

Make/Model -- Yamaha Morphous ----------- Honda Helix

Engine Type -- Liquid Cooled 4-Stroke ------- Liquid Cooled 4-Stoke
Displacement -- 249cc Single --------------- 244cc Single
Ignition -- TCI ----------------------------- CDI
Fuel System -- Fuel Injected --------------- Carburetor w/auto choke
Transmission -- CVT ----------------------- CVT
Wheel Base -- 63.6 Inches ----------------- 63.8 Inches
Dry Weight -- 408 lbs. --------------------- 349 lbs.
Seat Height -- 25.8 Inches ----------------- 26.2 Inches
Fuel Capacity -- 3.7 gallons ---------------- 3.2 gallons
Front Suspension -- Telescopic Fork -------- Bottom Link
Rear Suspension -- Swingarm -------------- Swingarm
Front Tire -- 120/70-13 ------------------- 110/100-12
Rear Tire -- 130/70-13 -------------------- 120/90-10
Front Brakes -- Hydraulic Single Disk ------- Hydraulic Single Disk
Rear Brakes -- Hydraulic Single Disk -------- Drum
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #24
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Nowhere fast.

Travel, at 200cc or less, like journey by horseback, is a nineteenth century mode, how humankind spent most of its short existence going; saddlebags, tied bundles, well-cinched & checked often. Neglect the mount at your peril; fasteners, belts, fluids, fodder.

An automobile is a rocketing armored carapace of amentity and comfort, hurtling along, abstracting you from time and place, most you don't want to be: you are not there where you are, only an instant, for gas, food, latrine, then back behind the wide expanse of smoked glass, upholstery, stereo, a perfect cossetive climate.

The scooter puts you always there, in the weather, the heat, cold, the pelt & leak of rain, breeze, wind, sun, veering shoves of sudden gusts and shadow, seeing and smelling each place and feeling it, attentive to the surface of the road, the lift and drop of camber, the specific geography of inclines, uphills, downslopes, and curves. The same sensory awareness of the machine, the noises, heat of it, straining or smooth, and how it grips to the smallest shift of your body.

Aware and attentive: a shoulder edge, a bad low-bid macadam repair can throw you into a ditch and snap your leg or your neck like a carrot; a constant arithmetic of fuel use rate and time to night's shelter, a quiet fret over faithless maps and where gas really is, and will they be open.

When your get there, parsing a day, not gobbling it wholesale, you are there, not in-and-out, but a formal dismount, walkaround tugging, looking, press-gauging valve stems, hanging your helmet for the john, the lunch counter, undressing and dressing a bit, zipping and snapping, restuffing your shirt and smoothing out layers. You are there, and compelled to take the time to be there, and taking time over this and that, meet people, speak, talk, for there is different from where you were before and from where you started, and you cannot know this rich difference of places and people from an Interstate highway.

Along the Appalachian chain, up hill and down at dusk where the county roads or state highways veer close to the Interstate offramps, the brand motels and restaurants, you can get a nice room, a warm bed, a shower and make a deal to lock the bike inside a high barrier fence holding the hotel dumpster, that no one will fuck with your scoot, or steal your fuel bottles. The place will empty in 20 minutes at dawn, but you have to dawdle, stuff yourself with steam table eggs, biscuits, bacon, coffee, and take half an hour arranging and lashing soft baggage aboard.

And I guarantee that your fingers will be stiff and cold and that the sun will slant straight in your face for a time, but also that you will move through that time and that place to another and another, taking them all in, having been at each and every there, weaving them all together on small wheels and frame at a pace that cannot really be called speed.

redhandmoto screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 07:28 PM
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Nicely said, Redhand! I think you captured it...
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #26
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Phipsd nailed it pretty good:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
It makes everyday life fun.
That's bang on: you can swoop & zoom & lean, no matter how mundane the errand - groceries, haircut, colonoscopy - getting there and back on a scoot enhances life.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #27
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,063
I ride my scooters like people ride in Thailand, etc. Its not insane, its appropriate and I am never rude or careless. In town or in traffic, I split lanes, yep, even on the right. (I know the risks on that one). I generally do not ride my (now) former (or in-between) motorcycles the same way I ride a scooter. It hasn't happened yet but I imagine for my riding style I'd be getting dirty looks or even words from a car driver (who is probably carrying less than me getting 1/5 the mileage). I already have a answer for them: "Scold me if you wish but if you were riding a scooter for a year you'd be doing the exact same thing".
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,383
Lots of stuff, but it applies only to smaller scooters. I decided I don't care for maxi scooters. They remind me of the mini bikes I had as a kid. They are so easy to just hop on and go (no, I don't use all the gear for short rides) I don't have to worry about an ego problem when on a scooter. Great gas mileage. 100 times more comfortable than a sportbike. Step through design. I have serious arthritis, and it is painful to throw my leg over a motorcycle seat. Automatic transmission. No constantly shifting up and down through the gears fro one light to another. And it is just a completely different experience than riding a motorcycle. A scooter does not have the power of a motorcycle, but I'm pretty sure it is quicker through traffic.

Two things I do not like about scooters is they are not freeway legal (though I'm not sure I'd want to ride a scooter on the freeway anyway, I have motorcycles for that) The automatic transmission (CVT) is a double edged sword. It's great in town and flat surfaces, but on a small scooter, does not have a low enough gear ratio for riding in the mountains. My 150cc manual shift Stella does not have that problem, but I don't trust it's reliability enough to go very far on it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #29
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,399
cheap to ride ,to buy and to fix. Most bikes till don't get as good MPG as scooters. 50 cc gets you over 100 MPG , 250cc gets you 60 MPG. 90 percent of trips are less then 20 min away from where a person lives. Scooter fit the bill for filling that roll.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #30
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
small size, lightweight, great maneuverability, exciting to ride in an urban environment, 10-12in wheels and tires. like jerryh my idea of a scooter is something that is small with small wheels, not a maxi scoot or maybe even a "midrange" scoot. i understand about the design of it and all, what with a step through frame and engine location. but i have a hard time relating to something as big as a SW or Kymco People 300 or even a SYM CityCom as a scooter. when i first saw a Kymco People 150 my eyes averted for the big wheels. so when i say 'small, light, etc...' i really mean things not much if any bigger then my Agility 125. yes i would and may own and ride a "big" scooter one day. i would just have a bit of a hard time thinking it as one, exactly

so thats what i love about scooters. what do i love about scootering? well, i can ride the shit out of them. traffic congestion doesn't exist. i can slide around, whip around, and go in and out of cars with the greatest of ease while on the move. i tend to ride aggressively and WOT, and that helps the fun factor. but riders get to choose their own fun on a scoot. i could never be a casual, 40mph, flow with the traffic scooterist. thats not what its about for me. yet others love it for just that reason. some like the twisties, some like the beaches on a weekend or a nice back roads ride. i like to battle

like the good name of our good forum, here. mine are battle scooters. and they win every time

DudeClone screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 01:02 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote