Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Two Wheeled 'Tard OP
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Did Happy Trails jack up their prices just so they could have a "Black Friday" sale?

I saw that Happy Trails is now offering a $100 off coupon on any of their pannier kits, which is awesome because I've been planning on getting a set for my V-strom. But is it me, or have they just raised the prices on most of their stuff to be about $100 more than it was a couple weeks ago?

I'm looking at the Teton kit for my Wee, which is now listing at $800. I could have SWORN that it was $700 just a couple weeks ago. Am I going crazy?
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
The only old version of the site I can find is from 2010, but your kit was only $599 then!
http://web.archive.org/web/201009181...VStrom650.aspx
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Two Wheeled 'Tard OP
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Yeah that was my first thought as well, to check the Wayback Machine. Just seems like a more dishonorable move than I would have expected for the company.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,052
I don't expect much honor when $$ is involved

A $200 increase in two years is quite a hike .. I wish my pay could go up like that..
Old 11-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,114
Nice avatar, Dan. Is there a scroll feature?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

It's all in the imagination
Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
flyingjib
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wheeled 'Tard View Post
I saw that Happy Trails is now offering a $100 off coupon on any of their pannier kits, which is awesome because I've been planning on getting a set for my V-strom. But is it me, or have they just raised the prices on most of their stuff to be about $100 more than it was a couple weeks ago?

I'm looking at the Teton kit for my Wee, which is now listing at $800. I could have SWORN that it was $700 just a couple weeks ago. Am I going crazy?
Hey TWT, you may want to wait and keep an eye peeled for the HT Scratch & Dent sale. They have one a couple times a year. I just purchased a set of the 7.5" Tetons from their S&D page with the rack, pucks and mounting hardware. Total cost shipped to my door here in Eastern Canada was $570.00 US. The panniers are brand spanking new with one bag having a very minor dent, almost invisible. They even came pre drilled for my Wee with no extra holes to cover.
It sucks if they jacked up the price to cover the Black Friday sale though.

Earl
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
Nice avatar, Dan. Is there a scroll feature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
It's all in the imagination
It's just a pic of Dan's feet. You really want to see more!?

Happy Trails is quality kit and has been at a comparatively low price for many years. I'd guess that the increase might have more to do with inflation and maybe prep for the next four plus years than a gotcha at sale time.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
I don't know about the old pricing but when I went to their site I saw that powder coat was now standard. I think that used to be about $100 extra when I bought some HT panniers a couple years ago. Also, at the Rawhyde ADVlife Expo, Tim told me he had just bought some expensive new cnc machinery to bring production back in house.

I doubt they raised prices just to give a discount on a sale special. More likely just a business decision based on costs and market forces. You could wait a couple months and see if the price drops.

The HT stuff still seems competitively priced when compared to other manufacturers. The cost of Jesse bags has also increased a couple hundred bucks since I bought mine.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
I've had Jesse's, Touratech, BMW, and Happy Trails. I don't consider the Happy Trails to be anywhere near the quality of the others.

When I ordered the Happy Trails for my F800GS, it took four tries to get the right boxes to my door. They just didn't pay any particular attention to the order. They agreed my original order was correct, they just couldn't seem to fill it. When I mounted the racks, it took quite a bit of force. They actually told me over the telephone that was due to BMW factory tolerances in their frame production. In other words, their boxes were straight, but my frame wasn't. Right.... I had to take the bike and kit to my local machine shop, and pay almost $200 to make them look like they belonged on the bike.

Never again....Tim's heart is usually in the right place, but his product does not deserve mention with the others, IMHO.

No opinion, though, whether his prices will drop again after Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

OlyRider screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 08:59 PM
OlyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
It's just a pic of Dan's feet. You really want to see more!? .
Well I'm told do have dainty feet ,, you should see my party shoes

Back on topic, I have their SL racks on my Dakar and like them.

I've got their pucks for mounting Pelicans and the webbing straps for mounting my Wolfman Expeditions. I thought about their racks for the big GS but they are not symetrical.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
I bought my 7.5 Tetons and SU racks last year when they were having a special on powder coating (free). If I had to do again I would buy the 9" Tetons. The openings on the 7.5's are narrow enough to make unloading a PITA. Go for the width, as it will make loading / unloading much easier.

I agree with the comments about fit/mounting. There's enough play in the dimensions that you want to tighten down the bolts once all of them are started. There is a lot of slop in the sizing.

Durability? I dropped my DR hard on asphalt in Tucson a week ago fully loaded. Other than a few scratches on the outside corner no damage.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
I've had Jesse's, Touratech, BMW, and Happy Trails. I don't consider the Happy Trails to be anywhere near the quality of the others.

When I ordered the Happy Trails for my F800GS, it took four tries to get the right boxes to my door. They just didn't pay any particular attention to the order. They agreed my original order was correct, they just couldn't seem to fill it. When I mounted the racks, it took quite a bit of force. They actually told me over the telephone that was due to BMW factory tolerances in their frame production. In other words, their boxes were straight, but my frame wasn't. Right.... I had to take the bike and kit to my local machine shop, and pay almost $200 to make them look like they belonged on the bike.

Never again....Tim's heart is usually in the right place, but his product does not deserve mention with the others, IMHO.

No opinion, though, whether his prices will drop again after Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Had the same problem, and a few more, with the company. The guy told me my frame might have to be kinked to fit the rack. How bought you make a rack that fits.

One of the mounting arms was over 2 inches down and an inch away from where it was supposed to be, the other side was fine. So I just use a large headed bolt for that hole for the arm to rest against. The other holes weren't quite right either,

HT told me I should hammer it on with a sledgehammer!!!

Before all that I ordered a couple of GIVI lug kits for the rack since I was going to use GIVI boxes on it, $8 each, they told me there would be no shipping charge because they would throw it in an envelope.

Great. Credit card bill comes in, they charged me like $60, they generously added a GIVI template (a piece of cardboard with 4 holes in it) that I did not want nor ask for. That template, by the way, was also horribly off. Because of the piece of cardboard, they had to ship it in a much much larger box than an envelope, $16 shipping, $16 for the lugs and around roughly $20 for the "template". Did I mention I never asked for one?

I called and said WTF

HT: Oh we couldn't use an envelope because the template was too big

Me: Umm I didn't need it.

HT: But you need it to drill the holes.

Me: No I don't, the rack was predrilled.

HT: Oh, sorry about that, but since we sent it and had to use a lager box thats the price...Sorry, click

Further calls and emails were ignored.

My advice? Buy a better product, from people who give a shit about their customers.

I personally had little choice, NO ONE makes a rack for the concours aside from the factory rack which only works on the factory cases. Next time, I'm gonna hit a friends machine shop and have at it with a welder and some steel.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
RedGrover
Sitka Red Rider

Oddometer: 24
Maybe I got lucky

When I ordered the full rack and Teton for my setup everything showed up just fit and seemed to go together pretty easily. Only issues I had was the mounting bolts for the rack to my XR650L were a bit too short so I had to go get a longer bolt. Knock on wood, I havent gotten to test there drop-ability yet, but they seem to do just fine on my bike.

Didnt have to interact with the company much so its a shame to hear a smaller operation isn't hitting it on customer service.
RedGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
The 1st rack and boxes I bought fit well, and was set up for Givi lugs to bolt right on. By set up, I mean it was not just holes drilled, it had holes where the lugs go with an insert welded in. It gave you the option of running Givi, or putting on the metal boxes. The newer ones now are just square tubing, no Givi inserts which make it much stronger than just a drilled hole. I 've bought lotsa stuff there, some of it never fit too well, but its never broken for me. It seems cheaper without the Givi holes already there. I agree the template made the holes on my 3rd racks way off and the Givi lugs didnt line up.....
Seems like they stopped making the racks with the Givi mounts(drill em yourself with crooked template) to speed up production