Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
johnlt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Garmin 276C question

Just received and installed my new 276C. Love the functionality and hi res display. Rode to work this morning in the dark and display readability was great. During the daytime, it was another story. I find that even though the resolution is much better than my SP-III, the contrast isn't nearly as good and it is much harder to see during the day. In direct sunlight, it becomes a little better but normal non-direct daylight, the contrast is very poor. I mounted my SP-III on a RAM mount next to my 276 and the difference in contrast is dramatic. I've got the background light maxed and don't see any other menu item to adjust. I researched this pretty well prior to deciding on the 276C and never heard of this as an issue so I'm hoping there is another control somewhere. Any ideas?
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:38 PM   #2
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
No other control than the angle you mount it at. There is a night set of colors (dark background w/light lines) that don't work well during the day too. You need to put it so that you are looking at very close to directly on the perpendicular to the display. I've seen the 276 side by side to the SPIII and hands down the 276 was much better...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:10 PM   #3
BeemerBill
fillerup agin'

Oddometer: 611
Me thinks you got a different 276C than I do.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:33 PM   #4
Kaumajet
H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer: 10,137
Hit the on/off key momentarily to open the backlight/sound pop-up. Then press the up arrow on the four-way switch repeatedly until the light is all the way up.

"There is just something special about a stripper with a tail" ilmostro
Kaumajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:33 AM   #5
johnlt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Just got back from a ride with my SP-III and 276C mounted side by side on my RT. On my ride this morning the SP had better contrast except in direct sun where the 276 had better contrast. Anything other than direct sun on the face of the displays, the SP had better contrast and was easier to see. The 276C had much better resolution and was clearer but more difficult to see because of the contrast. At 60 mph and arms distance away, I'm not sure I can really appreciate the additional resolution. The difference was unambiguous. I have a few pics I'll email to anyone interested that clearly shows the difference. Not withstand the above, the 276C display is really beautiful. At night, it is truely outstanding and much better than the SP. I love the flexibility and functionality of the 276 over the SP and am sure I'll be happy with it but the lack of contrast in daylight is a little dissappointing. I verified I had the background brightness at maximum but still it is lacking. I'm just surprised that I have not heard of anyone else mentioning this. Maybe it's my "old eyes"!!!
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,233
Have you tried changing the color scheme to something else?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:44 AM   #7
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
You sure it isn't a 176C lol
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote