Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,124
Thanks guys. Now I have something else on my winter "to do" list. I've had that same winch sitting in a box for two years. I'll make a front receiver because I already have a rear hitch receiver.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
karitoki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
In short I can and have done all of these types of recoveries with a $49 dollar hand powered tool that may be slow but you can count on it to work even if your battery is dead or the connections have gone bad. A rope puller doesn't have the starbucks appeal that some folks require but it'll get you home and thats what counts in the real world.
What model rope puller do you use and where do you buy one?
karitoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #18
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by karitoki View Post
What model rope puller do you use and where do you buy one?
Maasdam rope puller.
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=117

Mclendons hardware carries them, Ace Hardware sometimes has them too.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #19
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
In short I can and have done all of these types of recoveries with a $49 dollar hand powered tool that may be slow but you can count on it to work even if your battery is dead or the connections have gone bad. A rope puller doesn't have the starbucks appeal that some folks require but it'll get you home and thats what counts in the real world.
Mr. Cob:
How long a rope do you usually carry?
Thanks,
Duncan
Old 11-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
Mr. Cob:
How long a rope do you usually carry?
Thanks,
Duncan
Howdy dholaday,

The rope puller came with a 50 foot rope, I bought an extra 20 foot rope so I could tie off to an anchor if needed.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
Looks like that rope puller deserves looking into. Thanks Mr. Cob.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
SmellyGoatBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Here's the ride report. Has pictures and video of the ride and recovery.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=snoqualmie
Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #23
Mr. Cob

Howdy All,

I do not want to in any way give the impression that an electric winch on a sidecar rig is a bad thing, its just that I have used the rope puller for so long and have used it in situations where I doubt an electric winch would have been able to be of much good use.

That said I have for years thought about installing an electric winch on my rig but didn't take the time or make the effort to do so in a way that I thought would make it a practical, easy to use tool for recovery purposes. I have done a lot of research since the ride where Jay and I worked together to make a quick, safe recovery. I have just ordered a winch that I think I can make work as I would like it to.

My plan is to build a receiver that is welded to the front and rear of the sidecar frame, the winch will be mounted on a plate with a stud that can be inserted and locked into either the front or rear receiver. The setup I have in mind will have permanent quick disconnect water proof electrical hookup's for the winch on both the front and rear receivers. This will allow the quick removal or installment of the winch on either end of the rig by simply pulling or inserting a retaining pin from the receiver, plugging or unplugging the power cord, at which point the winch would be ready to be put into use.

I can handle all the fabrication of the receivers and winch mount, I'll have to enlist the help of my buddy Chris when it comes to wiring this set up as I have NEVER been able to keep the scared smoke within the wires it always escapes. Parts are en route as this is written, fabrication will start when I have something to work with. My plan is to do a build report with photos that shows how and why I will do this as I do it.

Part of the build will be the installation and use of a larger battery, my years of experience with an electric winch have convinced me that you can't have enough battery if your in a tough situation and the winch is being worked hard. One real advantage of the Ural is the alternator on these things really puts out some juice that will go a long ways toward making the electric winch truly useful.

Oh, and don't think for a minute that this will replace the rope puller, I'll still pack the rope puller for those times when and if the electric winch isn't up to the task or needs some help getting it done.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #24
SmellyGoatBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88

Can't seem to upload video from tapatalk via iPhone

SmellyGoatBoy screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 05:47 PM
SmellyGoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:05 AM   #25
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
Hi NorthwestRider .
We have fitted a winch to our sidecar as well .It is a 12V 4000lbs Electric Winch Wireless with Synthetic Wire. From ebay .We have only had to use it a few times in the bush .It sure is better than trying to push or dig the sidecar out when we get stuck.
I like the idea of being able to use the winch to pull the sidecar from the front or rear.
I will have to look at doing that to ours later .

The wife just said that it is also easy to get the sidecar up on the trailer when she has to come and pick me up when MY BMW needs a lift home .

Cheers Ian
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #26
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,671
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Maasdam rope puller.
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=117

Mclendons hardware carries them, Ace Hardware sometimes has them too.
...I keep one o'them in the trunk when out and about too. Never seem to need it though... guess I'm a sedate pussycat.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #27
NortwestRider OP
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,506
I use to own a 4x4 shop and ran a 9,000lb winch front and rear ( yes 2 winches ) on my Tracker.The reason I ran 2 was that when I ran just 1 with a Warn receiver mount,there were times that I didn't have room to get around the back and slide the winch in.Also owning the shop I got "special" pricing on winches.on my sidecar rig I will probably never need ( I don't plan any real offroad just dirt and gravel roads) it so just a mount on front should work.I also can run the cable under the rig and pull from behind.I already have a receiver in the back and thought about doing that but I would have needed to beef it up for side pulls.Mr Cob,Warn makes a quick disconnect electrical cable for receiver mount winches which is water proof !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #28
nieppi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Where you can go without a winch

Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #29
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
I use to own a 4x4 shop and ran a 9,000lb winch front and rear ( yes 2 winches ) on my Tracker.The reason I ran 2 was that when I ran just 1 with a Warn receiver mount,there were times that I didn't have room to get around the back and slide the winch in.Also owning the shop I got "special" pricing on winches.on my sidecar rig I will probably never need ( I don't plan any real offroad just dirt and gravel roads) it so just a mount on front should work.I also can run the cable under the rig and pull from behind.I already have a receiver in the back and thought about doing that but I would have needed to beef it up for side pulls.Mr Cob,Warn makes a quick disconnect electrical cable for receiver mount winches which is water proof !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howdy NortwestRider,

I have ordered a water proof cable setup that will work with the winch, I should have all the different components within a couple of weeks, then I can start to figure how I am going to build the receiver mounts. My plan it to have the winch mounted on the rear receiver unless I need to use it to pull from the front. The reason I'll be carrying in the rear receiver is to keep weigh off the front of the rig and to help protect it from crashes or being drug through water, snow and mud. Like I said I have been thinking about this for years just now got around to seriously putting all the pieces together.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #30
3legs
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 1,042
Hi Dave

A word of warning about placing the winch on the rear. I have mine on the front because when I placed it on the rear I kept hitting my shins against the bloody thing Ouch!!!

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote