Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
anormandin OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question Cruiser vs Touring

Hello every one or should I say Hey!

I have been riding for a numbers of years and had Cruiser bikes. My last two bikes were a Yamaha Virago 1000cc and a Vstar 1100. At the end of the summer, I traded my Vstar for a Royal Star Venture S 1300.

The Venture is heavier than my last one by about 200 lbs and also taller and longer.

I haven't put a lots of mileage (400) on it yet and just stored it for the winter.

I was unable in 400 miles to be able to feel comfortable on the bike at low speed and turning corners. It looks like I have to turn the wheel more now instead of just leaning the bike. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the comfort and the ride most of the time except in the city where I have to turn left or right.

Any of you have had the same feeling after switching from cruiser to touring or just buying a touring?

Any advices is welcome.

Thanks
anormandin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
One day you will figure out that smaller and lighter is better. Put the FUN back in the ride and leave the comfort for the couch.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Slaghammer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I think the bigger and heavier the bike, looking where you want to go, instead of where your at helps quite a bit.

Take a look at some videos available and you'll see slow speed precision riders with their heads turned almost 90 degrees looking through the turn. Dragging the rear brake a bit can help as we'll.

Look into ' Riding like a pro " video series as long as your down for the season.
Slaghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
One day you will figure out that smaller and lighter is better. Put the FUN back in the ride and leave the comfort for the couch.
wisdom.
well said
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by anormandin View Post
Hello every one or should I say Hey!

I have been riding for a numbers of years and had Cruiser bikes. My last two bikes were a Yamaha Virago 1000cc and a Vstar 1100. At the end of the summer, I traded my Vstar for a Royal Star Venture S 1300.

The Venture is heavier than my last one by about 200 lbs and also taller and longer.

I haven't put a lots of mileage (400) on it yet and just stored it for the winter.

I was unable in 400 miles to be able to feel comfortable on the bike at low speed and turning corners. It looks like I have to turn the wheel more now instead of just leaning the bike. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the comfort and the ride most of the time except in the city where I have to turn left or right.

Any of you have had the same feeling after switching from cruiser to touring or just buying a touring?

Any advices is welcome.

Thanks

Hey, anormandin,

WELCOME TO THE ASYLUM!!!

You may find that folks here have a certain slant, or agenda.

ADV is pretty heavily oriented towards dirt bikes, dual-sport bikes, or Adventure-Tourers,

and even those cousins feud here all the time.

As a cruiser rider, you'll definitely be a minority and had better grow a thick skin quick.

I'm afraid I cannot be of much help w/ your specific question, as I don't know squat about cruisers.

I have only ever ridden a 650 VStar to help out a buddy, and I didn't like the "soft" handling one bit.

None-the-less, if that's your preference, great.

I hate to say it, but maybe this particular cruiser you've bought just isn't a good fit for you?

Happened to me once.

In any case, try putting a few 1000 more miles on it in the spring and see what you think then.

Don't give up on her yet!!!

I hope it works out for you one way or the other...

Cheers,

Dogsroot.

PS. Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Go get me a sammich w/ that beer!!!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,335
The Royal Star Venture is known to be hard to handle. Some claim it is not even safe with a passenger due to it being too top heavy. I have never sat on one. But being big is not always a negative thing. My 1500 six cylinder Goldwing is big, and heavy, but fairly easy to ride because it is well balanced, has a low seat and a low center of gravity. My main problem with it is it is like a 2 wheeled car. Way to smooth and quiet. I like bikes with some character. I would probably have bought a Harley Ultra Classic, but they cost twice what the Goldwing does and don't last as long. Here is someone else with a negative opinion of the Venture's handling.

https://www.powersportsnetwork.com/e...1001&veh=38349
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
A Venture can be a pig in a parking lot. Folks have told you some practice, so here are a couple more things. IF you aren't verticaly challenged, leveling links will help. They raise the rear a tad. A 130/80 if I am correct, front tire is slightly shorter and will do the same. Some prefer both. I found the front to be plenty. A word of caution, if you will. The front makes the bike very responsive, some say touchy. It isn't dangerous, so to speak but you will feel a real difference in the front end and it took a few miles to get used to. The Venture Riders dot ORG is a good rescourse to check in to. Star Touring is great also and you should recieve a membership soon from your dealer. In fact, pick up the phone and ask them to get that going. Great folks and great family oriented group. Hope this don't step on any toes.
It will not make it a lot queen, but will lighten the bike some and a front tire is fairly cheap and something you will have to change eventually anyway. The leveling links are pretty cheap $80 ish if I remember and arent very hard to install and a snap if you are somewhat handy.

Practice, practice. The Venture is a good long hauler and I enjoyed mine. I have missed it, but was ready for an updated machine. This is long overdue the Venture, but still a great machine overall IMHO.

Almost forgot, Welcome to the mayhem

Cheers

txwanderer screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 11:32 AM Reason: Welcome
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
So, you got a 125 Vino now too huh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 891
just get both.....

then you can ride whatever you want....I have 3 bikes...and more coming soon.
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
OP, I think just more practice will help a lot; it's a different feel and position, and you have to adapt to it, like you would for any other big change.

I remember the adaptations when I went from scooters to standards, and from standards to sportbikes, and then back again. I've ridden touring bikes and cruisers also, and they felt weird for a while until I adjusted for the different handling, steering, braking, shifiting, etc.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (227,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
So, you got a 125 Vino now too huh...
I was thinking more along the lines of a hideous Vision with a Briggs & Stratton as a power plant to lighten it up a bit and make it look better.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
The same weight that can be a liability in the city is often welcomed on the open road. At 90 MPH w/ 60 pounds of kit on board the extra weight works in your favor while passing a truck in high winds, not so much on a u-turn in front of the coffee shop. It's not the bike but what you try to do with it. Big, heavy bikes come into there own when you are 3 to 4 states out. For shorter hops, a lighter alternative is often better. Me, I have an ST1300 for going to the other coast. In the city tho, I prefer the Vespa GT.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
As stated above,ride,ride,ride......"try" to get use to the new feel.....if,in a couple thousand miles it doesn't workout,sell and get something else?.I think my Honda rs750 Shadow handles pretty well....it's not some folks' cup of tea,but,oh well.Give it some time?.Get use to managing the weight difference in turning!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,335
I have a Vino 125. I have managed to put 25,000 miles on it in 4 years. I also have a Zuma 125 and a Stella 150 2 stroke. To me riding is NOT an ego thing, it's all about FUN.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of a hideous Vision with a Briggs & Stratton as a power plant to lighten it up a bit and make it look better.
It'd still be faster, and more comfy than your Sporty...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote