http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 480
Hey Kevin,

Good to see you post this here.

I'm not sure if you remember my wife and I. We were paddling the Yukon River and met you folks at Carmacks. Had dinner with you and the guys peddling from Vancouver.

From our blog....
"...We also met up with GPS Kevin from AdvRider, his 2 kids (son and daughter) and his friends who rode from San Diego to Inuvik and were on thier way back. ...""
http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.co...sroads-of.html

BTW: I went over some or the same ground you did in Southern B.C. on my ride to Bella Coola when we got back home. I posted a ride report and updated my blog
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826036

Your kids are awesome. I can tell you are very proud of them... Grandpa is awesome as well. I hope I can be like him as I get younger in years.

Since I am heading back that way next summer to hike the Canol trail... I'm in to see what your Canol road trip was like.

Regards,
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Oddometer: 112
GrizzLee, Wow fun

GrizzLee, Wow great to hear from you, Missy and I were just recalling the Pic of the Girl on each side of you

From Arctic Wolf Day13

Great to here from you, gpsKevin
Old 11-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #19
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Day 3 Update

Day 3 Update:
From Mug Shots

From gpsKevin:
Morning was great, breakfast around Kelly house
From Arctic Wolf Day03

From Arctic Wolf Day03

Then it was off to see if we could find some support to fix Dave’s bike. Only choice was the Prince George Yamaha Dealer. They sometimes worked in BMW’s. We met them at opening time, but after several phone calls for help they were unable to help. The plan would have to be taking the bike to Vancouver and see if there could be a quick fix and if Dave would be able to rejoin us. Wow bummer, I hate that BMW have evolved such that you cannot work on them without a BMW computer system. We fear this may be ride over for Dave. But we remain hopeful.

From Mug Shots

From Missy:
Today was craziest day yet. We woke up to a few problems. Yesterday, Dave’s bike was having problems and suddenly dying without explanation. After talking through the options, we decided that it was smart to go to the local Yamaha dealer and see if they could help. So while that was decided, Jeffrey began to have other problems (not mental problems, bike problems).
From Arctic Wolf Day03

His top box began to fall off and he was going to lose half his food. Steve, with his big blue bag (which I’ve decided we’re calling big ole blue) came to the rescue with extra bolts to save Jeffrey. Our wonderful hosts helped too, by running to the local store and getting more parts. So as this is all taking place some of us leave to accompany Dave to the Yamaha dealer. Bad news comes as we realize they can’t help Dave and he can’t keep going without a fix. So after much deliberation, Dave is off to Vancouver to see if the Beamer dealer there can help him.
From Arctic Wolf Day03

Hopefully there is a quick fix and he will be back with us soon. We are already missing him. So as we are deciding Dave’s fate, Jeffrey and the KTM boys head to Walmart; our meeting place. As soon as they leave the hosts humble abode, Jeffrey gets a flat. I don’t know what it is with these flats, but if we keep this up, we are going to run out of the tubes that we brought. It was fixed up and they met us at Walmart for our last shopping adventure, before the great outdoors is all we get! So after the shopping with Brian and Jeff (that took forever with all their bickering) we were off to do the days ride. It was a short day today only about 200 miles. It was quick and easy. More bear, deer and elk sightings today.
From Arctic Wolf Day03

The scenery is just amazing. Endless green and thick forests. The rain started for a little so we geared up and prepared for the wet. It turned out to be only a slight drizzle. We got to camp and the host surprised us and gave us the group camp.
From Arctic Wolf Day03

It is a great camp with a huge structure and a wood burning stove. All the boys set up camp under the structure to keep out of the rain. I was smart and put my bike under the structure and the tent in the rain.
From Arctic Wolf Day03

We shared a potluck dinner and are now enjoying a fire.
From Arctic Wolf Day03

From Arctic Wolf Day03

From Arctic Wolf Day03

From Arctic Wolf Day03

The boys are sipping brandy and we are enjoying the wonderful camping adventure. In our camp fire discussions, we have pronounced Brian and Jeff the new Chuck and Larry, I am the new and improved Princess Leah, and Jeffrey says tying this email is like crapping; it takes a while but it all has to come out. Goodbye fans. More later.

From Mug Shots

Jeff’s Add on
This trip has been totally awesome, just like I dreamed about for months. The scenery is so spectacular words can’t do it justice. Last night was a potluck cookout. Food was really good right next to Moberly Lake. Camp host let us have the entire area for group to ourselves with a shelter we set our tents up in.
From Arctic Wolf Day03

Well – Missy, Brian, Tracy’s tents are out in the rain right now. We have a wood burning stove under shelter with picnic tables. It has been raining for the last 3 hours and has not let up. The nice shelter will end today.
From Arctic Wolf Day03

From Arctic Wolf Day03

From Arctic Wolf Day03

From Arctic Wolf Day03

Early to rise this morning for most of us, Missy and Jeffrey and still working on their beauty sleep. The boys are sitting around the fire drinking coffee swapping lies and talking about how much they miss their honey’s (wives). Kevin is making soup for the day. It is 6am and time to start packing up and getting ready for another day in the saddle. More bear, moose and wolves to find is our mission for the day.

From Arctic Wolf Day03

Map from Day3

gpskevin screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 08:36 AM
gpskevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #20
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 480
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskevin View Post
GrizzLee, Wow great to hear from you, Missy and I were just recalling the Pic of the Girl on each side of you

From Arctic Wolf Day13

Great to here from you, gpsKevin

Oh boy... I forgot about that one.

I wish her and your boy well in their engineering studies. That's my chosen profession when I'm not in the woods (2 undergrad engineering degrees and a graduate degree in engineering ... I'm still broke and over educated)

It looks like you stayed at Tyee Provincial park at the group shelter. I suspect that it was Gladys (The Park Facilataor Operator) who let you do that. I stayed in the group shelter as well on my way up. It was raining, raining and raining. I was tired of sleeping in a wet tent. I know Gladys pretty well, as we have stayed there every year on our way north. I didn't have my son with me this year and she asked about him ... that kind of memory impresses me.

Keep it coming
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Is this ride happen NOW ? or are you all back ?
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #22
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Hey Kevin & company! I've been waiting a while for this RR, and its definitely off to a great start. Looking forward to more photos and stories from the trip!

Hosting you guys (and gal!) was a treat... you definitely hold the record for the most ADV'ers in our yard at one time! Our lawn has never been as crowded as this before:

Subscribed and eagerly awaiting more!

GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
biosci
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 193
Arctic Wolf

IN !!! Tell us more. PULEEZE.
ARGHH, Why am I still here. I wanna join ya all...

Happy Trials.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #24
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

GrizzLee, We stayed at Moberly Lake Provincial Park, here is a pic of the ranger and his wife

From Arctic Wolf Day03

he went the extra mile to help us. He even went and got wood in his truck and delivered it to us for a campfire.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #25
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Great Tent Space

GISdood, Kelly, great to here from you, Wow we loved your place and help!

From Arctic Wolf Day03

You went the extra mile to make your stay great, and help us with all our issues, thanks again, when you coming to California!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #26
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Day 4 Let the cold and wet begin

Story from Missy:
From Mug Shots

It was raining on the tents
From Arctic Wolf Day04

This morning we awoke, packed up, and all of a sudden my water proof bag….well….it’s no longer water proof. Quick fix with gorilla tape (kindly lent from Tracy…so shout out to Big Jim for the great gift! Thank you!) and a plastic bag and we’re off on the days adventure.
From Arctic Wolf Day04

From Arctic Wolf Day04

We start off and immediately it starts to poor. Going down the freeway at 75mph with the rain pelting your helmet; not so easy to see (Oh well, what are you going to do?).
From Arctic Wolf Day04

From Arctic Wolf Day04

On the days plan was a nice dirt road that would have taken us to our desired camp spot, but because of the rain the nice trail turned into a muddy massacre. We gathered up and began the treacherous trail. It became worse and worse as we rode along. The group stopped for a discussion and because of the conditions (and Brian’s whining) we unanimously decided the streets were the desired way to go. Our new route had a lunch stop in Pink Mountain where we could warm up and eat, so that also swayed our decision quite a bit. After the break and the luscious steak sandwich specials, we were back on the road.
From Arctic Wolf Day04

More and more riding until we came to a small camp ground in the middle of nowhere.
From Arctic Wolf Day04

From Arctic Wolf Day04

From Arctic Wolf Day04

Andy Bailey Campground

This was a beautiful little camp situated right on a lake. So of course, being the only girl on the trip, I need my showers at a more rapid pace than these other folks, and I decided I was going to check out the lake to see if it was clean enough to bathe in. Kevin and I walked down to the water’s edge and felt the water, which to our surprise was quite warm.
From Arctic Wolf Day04

I scream up to the boys excited of my finding and Brian and Jeff offer to do the same and shower with me. We all three put on our suits and the group then follows to watch as we freeze in the lake (It was chilly, but surprisingly warm for the north of British Columbia).
From Arctic Wolf Day04

From Arctic Wolf Day04

From Arctic Wolf Day04

From Arctic Wolf Day04

From Arctic Wolf Day04

The shower was very refreshing and it is always nice to meet locals who were fishing and swimming on the lake.
From Arctic Wolf Day04

After our nice bath, we head on back to camp for yet another gourmet camping dinner. Dinner cooking is always a blast with lots of laughs, as Brian and Jeff try to decide who’s making their meal for two, Kevin and Jeffrey bicker over who had a certain utensil last, I and Tracy of course cook our own meals, and Trailboss (Steve) just mooches off whoever will give him any of their extra food. Just classic as this takes place about every day. We clean up and do our dishes. Some of us head to bed after the long day and others stay at the fire drinking brandy (which Steve loved) and whiskey (Jeff and Brian shared….of course) chatting it up.
From Arctic Wolf Day04

The following did happen but I was not a witness, I only observed the actions through my tent by listening to all the drama. But as I understand it, two local boys off the reservation (who looked like reservation gang bangers) came over drunk off their asses. Jeff steps right up and offers them some of the booze that they have lying all over. These boys gladly take him up on his offer. They end up taking pictures with Tracy as Jeff sneaks off to bed and leaves Tracy to deal with the two drunkards. Meanwhile, a girl that is supposed to pick them up comes along and yells from the car (that is blaring music) that they need to get in immediately because she is mad and will leave them there if they don’t. Apparently the other cousin had gotten even more drunk than the other boys and had ruined her night. It was something to hear. Crazy day with all the rain but it turned out to be a great night with not much hassle due to the wetness.

From Mug Shots

Day 4 the story from Steve
The adventure continues! Day 4 completed and 1200 miles in-headed for the bowels of the Arctic. We are in are final day of BC headed for the Yukon tomorrow. Our group is sure missing Dave and hoping he is able to hook up with us around Friday or Saturday-we will see. So many stories to tell. How about the Mission Statement by Kevin , about hearing the Wolf! Will Kevin got his wishes last night around our campfire when our beloved Jeff Conner suddenly bolted and started howling at the moon! Problem is, there is no moon to be seen that night in this part of the world! Jeff is having a grand time with all this!
Last night we had the best possible camp situation. Camp manager upgraded us to a big group camp with a 30” X 40’ covered picnic area. With rain in the forecast some of us put our tents up under the covered area, not Missy! Our Missy elected to set her tent up outside & put her M/C under the cover! It poured that night! Missy survived and her bike was dry! Missy is a stud and fits in perfectly with the boys. Little brother Jeffrey is turning into quite the chef. Him & dad are the stir fry experts!
Loving my PP mighty 690! The BIG blue bag is hanging on. Tomorrow it’s the hot springs-every day is an adventure with this group!
Ok time to enjoy the camp fire. Missing family & friends-someones got to do this! Please watch over my little Dana girl-I get worried about this girl-she just has no friends! On with the adventure-Steve in Blue loves Orange!

From Arctic Wolf Day04

Map from Day4

gpskevin screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 08:38 AM
Old 12-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #27
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Day 5 Update
From Mug Shots

Day 5 Written by Missy
Today there was a long way to go.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

We started off early in the morning and stopped in Fort Nelson for breakfast. The waitress could not understand that Tracy wanted an omelet without eggs and cheese, so basically just sautéed vegetables (he is a vegan). The service was terrible and wow…. one of the worst stops on the trip. After breakfast, it was on the road again. The rest of the day was absolutely fabulous, compared to our morning fiasco. As we rode along today, we saw some spectacular animals that we had hoped to see on this ride. The first animal we came across was a big horned sheep.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

It was sitting on the mountain top, chewing his cud, and just watching us. As we rode along a mountain goat and her baby crossed the road in front of us. The little goat was so cute! Our first gas stop was a little down the road. I had seen a baby caribou but no one believed me. We went back and yes indeed it was a caribou. A real live caribou with thought antlers and everything. He was gorgeous.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

We stopped at Northern Rocky’s Lodge,
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

Jeff decided to have a “Tip Over” in the parking lot
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

Further down the road was our stop for the day.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

We stopped at the natural hot springs in a local campground. We got off our bikes and undressed into our bathing suits and jumped right into the hot spring. It was so fun.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

The water was 100 degrees and 107 right next to the output. They had done up the hot spring so it was pretty fancy (with my father, I was expecting and dirty hole in the ground with naked old men), but it turned out to be a great detour in our day. Very refreshing. So we suited back on up and hit the road again. We had passed bison signs earlier but hadn’t seen anything and were a little skeptical. After we left the hot springs, we immediately understood the herd signs that we had seen earlier. All over the road were tons on bison. Herds and herds of them grazing and doing their thang.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

They were in the middle of the road and after we had watched them awhile, we needed to get back on the road. I proceeded to honk the air horn on the motorcycle and the whole herd began to run across the street. It was a cool sight to see; the huge bison following each other and grazing together.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

As we rode along, we saw it! A grizzly and her two cubs were on the side of the road eating their grass and rolling around and playing.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

Silly Brian got off his bike and took pictures (we hassled him after for being stupe). It was something to see. I had hoped to see a grizzly last year on our trip but wasn’t that lucky. This was a dream of mine and I’m so glad that we saw the bears.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

We came to our motel; the Air force Hotel. This hotel was another down side to the ride. We were greeted by a chunky Nazi with a long gray ponytail who answered the door and barked at us to take off our shoes. We were not allowed to wear our shoes in the motel at all (even though the idiot was wearing his shoes as he explained this to us). They had group showers (boys and girls were separate) but still no shoes. Totally nasty! No shoes in the shower or the bathroom. Gross! The owner was crazy, his internet password was welovecanada. Just an interesting experience. And to make the night worse, Jeff and I went to the local laundry mat and did everyone’s laundry. Some locals came in to see who we were. They were totally wasted. The guy went over to Jeff and the girl came over to me and immediately grabs my hair and goes gaga over it. Creeped me out.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

From Arctic Wolf Day05

The guy, Floyd, kept trying to get with me, but I could never understand what he was saying because of his lack of teeth (he had none at all). Good thing I had Jeff there to protect me. Thanks again Jeff! After we had cleaned the laundry and Jeff had fluffed and folded Brian’s underwear we rode back to the hotel. As we got there the owner was mad at us because it was quiet time, after 10:30. What a crazy day, with lots of good animals to see. More later.
From Mug Shots

Additional Comments from gpsKevin
From Arctic Wolf Day05

Jeff Howlin at the Sheep, they were not impressed, but wow can Jeff Howl, yes I said Howl, not whine.
From Arctic Wolf Day05

For you all that like detail, were is our ride map for the day:
From Arctic Wolf Day05

Tomorrow we will try to make it to the North Canol Trail

gpskevin screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 05:44 AM
Old 12-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #28
1955BIKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Great report. Keep it coming!!!
1955BIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #29
Pickup man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
What a fantastic trip!
Thanks for the heads up, I will be sure to avoid the Air Force hotel
when I get up that way. Whose in the mood for some militant weirdo
after a longs days ride.

Looking forward to the rest of this trip.
Pickup man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #30
stromsavard
Sergio

Oddometer: 143
Great RR so far!!! I'm in guys!! Thank you!!