Oddometer: 16
Nice

lovely Trip guys!!!!!!!!!
zadaleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #32
rgp332
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I'm envious ! I might of missed it,what were the dates of your trip ?
rgp332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #33
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Oddometer: 111
Day 6 Mosquitoes have arrived, story by Missy

From Mug Shots

Another long day ahead and another early start. I woke up today after using the campground outhouse last night with not one, not two but eight bug bites on my butt. Not a good sign at the beginning of the trip. Today we were taking the Campbell Highway to a small town called Ross River. It was a dirt highway nicely maintained the whole way there.
From Arctic Wolf Day06

As we began early in the morning the dust was up. We had decided, because of the long distances, that we were going to ride as a group of seven today. We took off but, the dust kept us pretty far apart. The rule of thumb, when you ride with a big group is that when you don’t see the guy behind you, you stop and wait, and if he doesn’t come you turn around and figure out what happened. Brian followed me and as usual was being really slow. I stopped to wait and make sure he was okay, but as soon as he was in sight, he immediately came to a halt and turned around. In the back of my mind, I was like oh great….now what? He looked over and stared for a while. As soon as he was done, he turned back around and came riding on up, all excited! As we rode up to the group he was ecstatic. Apparently he had seen a mountain lion. We were all very jealous of his find.

(not the real picture from Brian, but what he thinks he saw)
After the commotion subsided, we were back on our way. We stopped at a small lookout for a hot lunch. Everyone got out their stoves and cooked up a warm meal.
From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

Finally we arrived in Ross River. We fueled up
From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

(Steve's bike at the gas station, big ole blue)
And guess who we met at the gas station (you are not going to believe it). ELVIS PRESLEY! He had also built Graceland II, where he lived with his wife. He instantly fell in love with Tracy’s enthusiasm and Tracy was now stuck. Elvis ran back to Graceland II and brought Tracy a free CD of his. Elvis really wanted us to come and check out the artwork he had done in his house and Tracy told him we were in a hurry and we’d have to stop by on the way back through town (Oh my was he a character!). Off we went, to get on the barge and cross the Mackenzie River.
From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

We had about 60 miles to go to our camp for the night, Dragon Camp. This was the beginning of the famous Canol Road. It was a spectacular road with amazing views. As we were riding along, we encountered a sudden problem. Because of the recent lightning storms, we were in the middle of a giant forest fire (no joke!). Tracy, Brian, and Steve (the firemen of the group) discussed the situation and Tracy went up ahead to see if it was safe (if not this was the end of the road for us).
From Arctic Wolf Day06

He was gone for a while as we got off our bikes and watched the fire transfer from tree to tree around us. He came back safe and we discussed it once more with the group. The consensus was to ride through it because it would be safe once at our camp, and the fire would no longer be a threat to us there. So, that’s exactly what we did.
From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

(These pics are from our return, we did not stop in the flames to take pictures)
We rode through the flaming forest and arrived safe and sound to our beautiful camp for the night.
From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

It was situated right on a gorgeous lake with a great picnic table and lots of surrounding fire wood. Jeff, Brian, Jeffrey, and I all went for a shower in the lake.
From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

(proof of the Mesquito attack)
We then cooked up yet another wonderful camp dinner (Mom! You would be proud of me. I made pasta salad on the road. Miss you.).
From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

From Arctic Wolf Day06

Steve prepared the wood and lit a huge fire. It was great! Best fire so far. Not many animal sightings today, only the mountain lion and a porcupine. Still pretty cool though. Crazy that we were in a natural forest fire. Our camp was safe and by the morning there was no sign of the fire still burning. The nightly rain had probably put it out, which was good for us. Anyways we are all safe and the trip is going great. Everyone is getting along and we long the company of each other and the endless laughs we have each day. Missing the families at home. More to come.
From Arctic Wolf Day06

(the toilet at Dragon Lake)
From Arctic Wolf Day06

Map from today, we are still on track
Tomorrow we make our push north on the Canol Road. We will see how far we can get, we are carrying gas for up to 200 miles north (400 round trip) Wow lot of gas, there have been heavy rains, so it could be hard.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #34
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgp332 View Post
I'm envious ! I might of missed it,what were the dates of your trip ?
We started the trip on 6/21/2012, We were unable to get internet connection almost everywhere we went, so we are telling the story live right now. Ok you know what I mean. When we finish the ride, I will give everyone the complete GPS files, all the ride planning documents and maps. So stay tuned, and I hope we can finish the ride.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #35
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Update Day7 Canol Road

From Mug Shots

Tracy Update Day7,
We woke up to cloudy skies and cool. Everyone slept great! For the first time during the trip Missy beat Brian to bed. The time of slumber for Missy was 8:00 P.M. Although, Brian did not get the first to bed award this night he still is the reigning champ. Six nights in a row. He was however only 5 minutes behind her for his slumber. The fire we encountered had laid down due to high humidity and no wind. Steve started another great camp fire and we cooked breakfast. We were lucky to find an improvised “Out house” . Excitement soon wore off as we quickly discovered the “Out House” was a front for a mosquito ambush zone.
From Arctic Wolf Day06

We did our best to defend our exposed derriere but, we were outnumbered and massacred. Now we are counting the butt bites to see who gets to carry the calamine lotion. Currently, we have a three way tie between Missy, Jeffery, and Brian. As we started the days ride, the skies shed its tears and watered the road for us, so no dust! What a benefit. As we rode to roads end, we encountered a huge Grizzly Bear. The bear was more scared of us than we were of him. Good thing for the bear. Kevin keeps his bear spray at his side like a quick draw expert kinda like Dirty Harry.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

As he stared the bear down, he was herd saying “feeling lucky bear”. Saving the group and playing the encounter down, we started moving again. As we kept riding, we came across many junk yards of abandoned trucks that were left along the side of the road. Now part of the landscape of rust and moss.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

The trucks were left here at the start of WW II. Back on the gas and moving, we came across a large porcupine that took also, scampered into the landscape. As we crossed from the Yukon Territory to the Northwest Territory we were met by a washed out bridge and a fast deep flowing river.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

This stopped our continuance to roads end. Back tracking 33 miles we found a beautiful place to camp we a great vista of high peak with small glaciers abiding them. In the foreground, massive pastures of tundra grass.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Now we wait to see if the Moose and Caribou will come down to graze. Tonight will be our best opportunity to see Wolfs, if at all. Enroute to our camp site we found a bag in the road with two cans of Bear Spray in it. One was empty the other had spray to give. Dirty Harry with the found can of 44 magnum spray proceeded to show why it was the most powerful bear spray can in the world capable of stinging a Grizzly’s eyes for at least 10 seconds. We all just watched with amazing excitement as Missy showed us her skills.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

At this point we are all nervous. Then half the group are heading down to the river that flows past the meadows. Don’t, worry, Moms, Wife’s and Boyfriends, they took their trusty can of “Bear Spray” the only problem is that they left Kevin (Dirty Harry) behind. I can only hope that Jeff and Brian don’t get too excited about a bear encounter and end up spraying each other.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Sunset tonight is 11:53 P.M. with sunrise at 3:34 A.M. Looks like another long night. We hope all of our family and friends are safe and well. We are having the adventure of a lifetime and wish all of you were here to enjoy it…

From Mug Shots

Steve Update Day7
Hello all,
We are almost 1200 miles and seven days into this wonderful experience. Presently camped along the Canol Road, out of Ross River Yukon.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Wish I could show you a pic of our great camp spot.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

We are over looking the Macmillen River and the snow capped Rocky Mountains-just beautiful! Big camp fire going!
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Missy, Kevin, & myself are watching the boys cook up gourmet camp food. Of course Kevin did his Tom Sawyer thing to get the boys all pumped up and do this deed-dinner served in 30 minutes.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

Day 8 is only about 150 miles and will take us to just our 2nd night lodging-showers will feel great! We are all holding up good-bikes are also working perfect. Lots of mosquitos in this part of the world!
Hope is well at home. We all talk about family while sitting around the campfire, especially Jeffrey! He sure misses his mommy!
On with the adventure-Steve in Blue-Loving the PP- Mighty 690-Hi Dana

From Mug Shots

Missy Update Day 7
This morning we woke to an easy day of riding. We were going to take the Canol Road as far as we could go. In doing the research on this portion of the ride, there was not much to be found. The last time someone had taken this road was a KLR in 1997 who had had lots of problems with washouts and broken bridges. Our hope was that we would make it to the Mackenzie Pass and see the beautiful landscape on the way. We headed out and the road was unbelievable.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

Canada has done a great job maintaining the landscape and the territory was gorgeous. As we rode through the wonderful forests and mountains, a grizzly ran out in front of my dad. He pulled over to tell me and so we slowly maneuvered on ahead. The bear was scared and doubled back across the road. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen. He was HUGE! As big as Kevin on the motorcycle. Bigger than what you imagine them to be. He was so fat, as he ran his whole body convulsed because of the weight he was carrying. It was amazing and I was so excited. I began to lead the pack and we came across another porcupine. This one I was lucky enough to see. He was waddling on the side of the road, and as soon as we pulled up he scurried into the bushes. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a porcupine in real life either. He was pretty cute waddling along like he did. We rode along and came to an abandoned house.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

We stopped there and had another hot lunch. It was cold and a little rainy, so it was nice to get off the bikes and warm up. After lunch we had about 15 miles to the Mackenzie Pass. So far so good. We headed on and made it through the pass. Not long after we came to the sign of yet another border. We had officially passed through the Yukon and were entering the Northwest Territories.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

That was a very impressive sign to see. We rode along a little further and our journey down the Canol Road ended with a washed out bridge that had never been repaired. We took pictures and contemplated swimming across the flowing river with our bikes to ride further. We decided that was probably not smart.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

We headed back to the Northwest Territory border and took pictures with the big sign. A pretty cool accomplishment I’d say. As our trail had come to an end, it was time to turn around and head to find a suitable camp for the night.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Tracy had seen a great camp and led the way to our destination. It was a different abandoned old house that we were to spend the night at. All the firewood we would need. Level tent pitching areas. An outhouse filled with mosquitoes. And a great picnic table for cooking dinner. What more could you ask for? We all unloaded our bikes and the boys started appetizers. They made corn meal patties with spices, and potatoes in the fire. It was great. We all chipped in and had a potluck dinner. I had run out of clean drinking water at lunch, so my father loaned me an extra bottle he had. Unknowingly, I used this “water” to cook my macaroni. The noodles tasted a little sweeter than normal but I had thought that was because it was a new kind of macaroni I was trying. Later Jeffrey pointed out to me, my father had accidently purchased lemon flavored water instead of regular water, and that was why my food tasted so sweet. Silly me. But it was funny! Steve made another big fire, better than the previous nights. It was fabulous.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Chuck and Larry cooked dinner together as Jeffrey and Kevin fought over how the meal should be cooked. On the road earlier, we had come across a bag that someone must have dropped. It contained two bottles of extra bear spray. We decided to try them out and see what we would have to do if we actually came across a bear. It was crazy how far those things shot. We were very safe and no bears were hurt in the testing of this spray. These boys are so fun to be around. I am having the time of my life. We all oood and awwwd over the spectacular landscape.
From Arctic Wolf Day07

Words cannot explain the beauty of this place. It is phenomenal. What a great night! More tomorrow as we head for Faro.

From Mug Shots

Canol Road: from gpsKevin
From Ross River north to the Northwest Territories the road is maintained and in good condition, but once you enter the Northwest Territories the road is no longer maintained, the first bridge is washed out and the stream/river can be bad. So if you are really going to ride further, come with small bikes and be prepared to get wet. I am sure that this road will be one of the highlights of our trip
From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

From Arctic Wolf Day07

Map from day 7, we turned around at Bridge Out
Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #36
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskevin View Post

Missy Update Day 7
...This morning we woke to an easy day of riding. We were going to take the Canol Road as far as we could go. In doing the research on this portion of the ride, there was not much to be found. The last time someone had taken this road was a KLR in 1997 who had had lots of problems with washouts and broken bridges. Our hope was that we would make it to the Mackenzie Pass and see the beautiful landscape on the way. We headed out and the road was unbelievable....
Kind of confused about the bold part above, the road is somewhat maintained by the Yukon Government (IE the Moose Creek bridge and the Itsi Creek bridge were rebuilt in 2011) and it is pretty well travelled by quads etc. up to Godlin lakes. There is also a big Canol Road thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729638

These guys made it the whole way to Norman Wells in August (but on the pedal bike variety): http://yukonfrolics.blogspot.ca/2012...age-trail.html
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #37
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Day 8 KAWASAKI DOWN

From Mug Shots

Day 8 KAWASAKI DOWN
Today we woke up to a gorgeous view of the Rocky Mountains and the forests that lie below. It was absolutely breathtaking.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

Everyone packed up and we were back on the road to Ross River and our final destination of Faro. Everything is beautiful and the country is way better than I could have ever expected.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

As we are riding along, Tracy’s chain falls off and needs a quick tightening. Easy solution and back on the road to do a proper fix up at the house we are staying in tonight. Traveling down the road again, my dad and I see another very large grizzly run across the road. It is amazing how big those animals can get. We make it to the ferry crossing just in time for the last ferry before an hour lunch break. Jeff and Brian are behind and as the ferry starts to leave they show up. The guy was nice enough to pull back up so they could catch a ride with us.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

Another experience at the Ross River gas station, and then a grocery store run at the local convenience store (Jeff and Brain push around a cart for their groceries. Brian pushes the cart as Jeff gets a ride in the cart. Those two….hahah). After we had stocked up on the needed food for the next three days, we headed over to Elvis’s Graceland II as promised.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

What an experience….ahahha! He showed us his artwork which was absolutely terrible. It was colored stucco that he had basically splattered all over Graceland II. It was a mess and looked foul. Not to mention the horrifying stench that appeared once you entered the home. That was a funny experience. We got group pictures outside Graceland II but Elvis would not be a part of our fun due to his lack of costume at that current time. Big Jim and Elvis were taking our pictures and we were being really funny (what’s new?). On the road again, just can’t wait to get on the road again, going places where I’ve never been… oh wait….the story (haha); just about an hour drive to Faro. On the way we encounter another bike problem, this one a bit more serious. Jeffrey’s bike suddenly comes to a screeching halt and will no longer start.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

The group consensus is to tow him to the house and pull it apart there to see what the issue is. We eventually come to Faro and arrive at our stay for the night. It is a beautiful three story home with a game room, tv and endless DVD’s, and a warm shower. This will be a great night.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

Outside the story is not so great. Jeffrey begins to pull apart the bike and low and behold, a balancer has broken off and is stuck in the head (most of you probably don’t know what that means….well I don’t really know what that means, they just told me that’s what happened). This is a really bad sign; the bike is totaled.
From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

Jeffrey and the rest of the boys are currently discussing options as to what he is going to do, while I write to tell the tale. Send good wishes to Jeffrey, hopefully he gets to continue on. I am leaving now to go out and hear the plan. It’s not looking promising for Jeffrey. He will probably have to be sent home and not be able to finish the ride. I’ll keep you updated as the plans unfold.
From Mug Shots

Day 8 Update from Kevin

Wow this is bad, the Kawasaki KLR650 has broken the advance weight off the end of the cam, it got wedged under the cam, then forced the cam up out of its bearings breaking the bearing cap and sending the pieces out the top of the motor
From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

There will be no fix for this bike without a complete new head. WOW
There will be no fixing it here in Faro. The nearest next place is Whitehorse 200 miles away. The local owner of the house we are staying in said that we might catch the delivery truck driver in 2 days and ask if we could put the bike in his truck for his return trip to Whitehorse. Wow Wow way bad news for us, this could end our trip. We bought this bike just for this ride because it seemed to have a reputation of being reliable. Maybe some new ideas will come to us as we sleep tonight.
Evening at the house now has kind of a somber note. But we asked the owner if she could find us some moose sausage, and 15 minutes later she brought us a bunch, so it was a bar-b-que and a bit to drink, maybe it was a bit too much or just out attitude, because missy then talked all the men into Face Packs, yes really!
From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

From Arctic Wolf Day08

Maybe she knew what she was doing, because it was good to put a smile back on our faces.
At the end of the day she introduced us the the Chubby Bunny game. Wow now we are out of control.

Wish us good dreams as we try to dream up a solution to this mess

Anyone got any good advise for us? We need Kawasaki help.

From Arctic Wolf Day08

gpskevin screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 07:54 AM
gpskevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #38
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Day 9, what to do with a broken bike

From Mug Shots

From gpsKevin
Ok the morning has arrived and there the dreaming of solutions has yielded nothing, so the only option we can come up with is to TOW the KLR brhind to Yamaha Tenere some 200+ miles to Whitehourse, wow what could go wrong with that idea. Well we are both skilled and we think we can do it. Once in Whitehourse maybe we can find someone to help fix the bike.
From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

And so we were up early and off we went, just the two of us, the rest of the group would continue on and we would try to join back up with them.
Towing was not too bad at first, we at times managed to get up to 60mph, then it happened. The thing I had wanted the most, a Wolf revealed himself to me. Yes that is right he ran right in front of me without even giving me a look. I knew this was a good sign, we would be all right.

From Mug Shots

From Missy Day 9
Because of the major troubles we encountered yesterday, Jeffrey and Kevin set off very early in search of a fix. They were headed to White Horse to see if they could rent a truck to drive to Inuvik. That way everyone would still be able to make the ride. So, they began the long tow journey of about 250 miles to White Horse. As for the rest of the group, me and the guys, we had a very relaxing and refreshing day. The house we stayed in had a big breakfast bar and we could make omelets, or whatever we desired. Our riding day was pretty short, so we decided to leave at 9am which was late for our other early starts. We leisurely rode from Faro to Carmacks.
From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

Jeff led the group today and after about an hour of riding, we had a nice break. At that point we realized some chain problems and had to fix those up before we continued.
From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

After our break and snacks it was on the road again. Our next stop was about an hour or so away, where we would get gas and fill up our bikes. We talked to some other riders at the gas station who had ridden from southern Florida. They were very nice. Down the road a little, we had passed a little hot dog stand sort of gig. We got back on the bikes and headed over to lunch there. They had a mess hall where we could eat lunch away from the bugs. It even had wireless Internet. Jeff and I got ice cream once we were done with lunch. It was maple walnut flavor and very delicious.
From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

Our stay for the night was at the Moose Lodge. We left lunch and were on our way to the camp ground. It was very gloomy and cold at this point and it started to rain. We came along another small coffee stand and we stopped to warm up and drink some hot coffee to prepare us for the finish of the day.
From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

We finally made it to the Moose Lodge. Tracy and Steve had a small cabin for the night. Jeff, Brian and I were deciding what to do. We asked the owner of the Moose Lodge if we could camp right out front of their cabin. Instead she gave us a much better deal. She offered us this covered area that she had, that would also keep the mosquitoes away. We took the deal because it was just perfect for our tents to be set up. It was great with a usable stove and hot showers. Just as we had figured out our sleeping arrangements, Jeffrey and Kevin pull up in a rental truck with great news. They were able to find a truck in White Horse, and leave the broken motorcycle behind. So, not only would they both be able to continue to Inuvik but they would also have room for some of the bags we had been carrying in the truck. What a great fix to such a huge problem. Brian coined a new name for Tracy and Steve; they are now the golden girls. It was a great night. Jeff, Brian and Jeffrey made dinner for Kevin and I cooked my own macaroni. Another night filled with jokes and laughs. This group fits so well together. We just get along so well together. More later as we start the Dempster Highway to Inuvik tomorrow.
From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Arctic Wolf Day09

From Mug Shots

From Steve:
Now I need to address some truths about Day 9. Missy had her say about what went on at our Moose Camp Lodging. What do they say?” never let the truth interfere with a good story”! Truth is, our leader Kevin was not with us (in Whitehorse with Jeffrey & KLR) to direct the boys on where their camp area would be, this caused major problems for Jeff, Brian, & Missy. Here is the picture-it’s been raining on us all day, it’s cold. All of us walk into the lodge office-restaurant, dripping wet. A lady comes out of the kitchen and asked if she can help us, Chuck & Larry (this is what Missy & Jeffrey call Jeff & Brian. Their nicknames come from the Adam Sandler movie about the suito gay NY firefighters. Chuck asks where is the campground area? The lady responds with “we are not a campground, just cabins & a restaurant. Things started getting real tense-steam was coming off gortex-Kevin’s name was used in vain a few times. I had made a reservation few months back for a cabin and knew that the actual campground was about a mile down the road. Things really heated up with Miaja the owner came into the room and asked if there was a Steve in our group? I told her that was me. Maija said great! Your cabin is all ready, with the wood stove on and the goose down comforters ready. And then she said” Prime Rib tonight”, kitchen closes down in an hour, so hurry with your showers. Now Chuck, Larry, Missy are really spinning! They ask Maija if they could pitch their tents next to our cabin? Maija says OK, but feeling for the wet boys, she offers up a large partially enclosed gazebo for their use. The boys jump all over this, and it even has a kitchen attached. All worked great for groups. Tracy & I even picked up the tap for our gazebo dwellers. My goose down comforter was actually too hot-the chocolate on the pillow was outstanding.

From Arctic Wolf Day09

gpskevin screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 05:14 PM
Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #39
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,838
Great report !!Keep it coming!!

I am glad you saw a wolf.I love wolves also and hope to see some in the wild .Maybe next year in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan I can spot some.

Too bad about the KLR.Has any service been done like adjusting the valves in the past?
Maybe the cam caps did not get tightened properly during a valve adjust.
It looks like the cam cap bolts loosened and allowed the cam to ride up in the back and allow the decompression mechanism to kiss the valve cover and explode.

Good luck with the KLR,at least its a simple bike and parts are pretty cheap.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #40
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Good luck with the KLR,at least its a simple bike and parts are pretty cheap.
And be sure to address that infamous 'doohickey' issue next time around.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #41
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,554

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #42
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,855
D'oh! The Doo does it again......Hope you guys fixed the KLR instead of swapping in a new engine.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #43
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,838
This doesnt look to be Doohickey related.
When they refer to balancer I think they mean the Decompression mechanism on the back of the exhaust cam which cracks the exhaust valve momentarily to reduce compression and aid in cranking the motor on start up.
It sounds like they are figuring it grenaded and caused the damage,but it is possible the scenario started by the cam cap bolts being loose and allowing the back of the cam to raise up (because the front of the cam has a timing chain pulling down on it)and kiss the valve cover.
Because if the decompression broke first I dont think the cam caps are going to be affected the way the pictures show.
I would like to know how many miles are on the bike and if those cam cap bolts have ever been removed for a service.

I wonder if someone has recently worked on this bike and forgot to tighten them,or if they just worked loose.

I had a similar thing happen on a drz400.The cam caps had loosened up and wiped out my cam and journals.That bike did not have a decompression on the end of the cam though because it was kick start only and had a different decompression set up,so it only wiped out the cam and journals but still the head was junk.
I had just got the bike and I suspect the last person to adjust the valves had probably forgot to tighten them.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 10:45 AM
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #44
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Day 10 Eagle Plains

From Mug Shots

Day 10, from Brian
We awoke at Moose Creek Camp to the howl of the arctic wolves, compliments of Jeff and Kevin.
The people at Moose Creek really took care of us, allowing us to set up camp out of the rain. We try to pay the nice lady for the camp but somebody has already paid, later we find out it was Steve, thanks Steve.

We hit the Klondike Highway for what is to be a 300 mile day and the start of the Dempster Highway and finally arriving in Eagle Plains for the night. Tracy takes a break and lets Jeffrey ride his BMW for the day, after Jeffrey’s KLR quits on him, but not before Tracy gives him strict instructions not to over rev it or go faster than 80. Jeffrey states “I’m here to F*** S*** Up” and takes off down the road at full speed. Could this be the third addition to Jeffrey’s Motorcycle Graveyard in less than 2 months? Only time will tell.
From Arctic Wolf Day10

From Arctic Wolf Day10

From Arctic Wolf Day10

From Arctic Wolf Day10

From Arctic Wolf Day10

The Dempster turned out to be a well graded gravel road that at times was like riding on ball bearings and seemed to go on forever. More unbelievable scenery , a hot lunch along the Mackenzie river and we arrive at Eagle Plains for the night.
From Arctic Wolf Day10

From Arctic Wolf Day10

From Arctic Wolf Day10

From Mug Shots

Day10-Steve
Wow, we finally have internet! Please understand, I am on my iphone. What a great last two days we have had. Presently in Eagle Plains Yukon, half way way to Inuvik in the Arctic Circle. Couple of gas pumps and an old single story large weather beaten wood lodge with a large bar area and restaurant-it's heaven. This is near the top of the continent-trees are real skinny here.
From Arctic Wolf Day10

Do a Google search & check it out. Tomorrow is Canada Day-like our 4th of July, I guess? Tracy & I got a room at the lodge. The rest of the group is in the campground. Pretty sparse! And bugs-lots of bugs! Guess I am a whimp! But, sitting here in the lounge sipping gin & tonics and having veal cutlets with salad, this is as good as it gets! And sleeping in a bed. Yesterday Kevin towed Jeffrey 221 miles to Whitehorse. Rented a truck, stored the KLR, loaded up the Tenere and meet up with us at Moose Camp. Lots of rain yesterday. All of us are equipped for the elements-no problem. Some rain today. Rode 200 miles on the Dempster Hwy. Lots of stories-later. My back is doing great! No advil needed. Probably because of my great Saddlemen seat and my work at Bauer Therapy? It's 8pm and it's as bright as noon. Sleep will be easy tonight. On with the adventure---Steve
From Arctic Wolf Day10

From Arctic Wolf Day10

gpskevin screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 05:15 PM
Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #45
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 170
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote