Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #61
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgp332 View Post
I noticed everybody is wearing KLIM gear, Which model and how did it hold up to the Rain ?
Great RR and looks like your making Great memories !!
Everyone loves their Klim gear, For years I used the BMW gear

From Day3 Fav

But the Klim is way better, the Beemer stuff was ok, if the weather was nice. But for real weather go with the Klim.

I wore the Klim Tomahawk, and it is the first gortex that I have owned in 20 years that really works. Our group had a mix of a lot of different Klim gear and everyone was happy, except for the price.

100% happy with Klim

80% unhappy with Beemer
Old 12-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #62
LATJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Subscribed!

Save 5 bucks when signing up for SmugMug. Enter coupon code: hgeNbdcSOWAXM
LATJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #63
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Absolutely loving this report; brings back memories of my past trips north and provides inspiration for another trip to AK & YT in 2013.

If I can ask, what tires are being used on the Versys? Front seems larger than stock. Did the front fender require relocation?

Keep the ride report coming.
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #64
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Versys Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Absolutely loving this report; brings back memories of my past trips north and provides inspiration for another trip to AK & YT in 2013.

If I can ask, what tires are being used on the Versys? Front seems larger than stock. Did the front fender require relocation?

Keep the ride report coming.
Too Tall: We did raise the front fender, made some homemade brackets and went up about 1.25 inches. We have ran the Bridgestone TW302 4.60-17 and it seemed ok but after a couple of thousand miles it cupped bad, then we ran the Shinko 705 120-90h-17 and we love it. Does good in the dirt and we still run it tubeless, we run about 20-25 psi , unless we only run street and then we run 35. Love the tire on the front of the versys. The versys can Rock off road!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #65
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,555
Great read! Keep us posted and stay safe!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #66
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,451
Cool report, thanks!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #67
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Day 14, the Broken Kawasaki plan

From Mug Shots

Day14: Update from gpsKevin:
Today we had to return the rental truck in Whitehorse, sell the Kawasaki for salvage value, and somehow load Jeffrey up and travel another 200 miles to Haines Alaska. Wow, So Traveling from Carmacks to Whitehorse half of the team stopped at “Moms Bakery” somewhere along the road was a sign so they stopped and met a wonderful old woman and had coffee and pastries. She explained in her day she rode bikes too.
From Arctic Wolf Day14

From Arctic Wolf Day14

Wow you can meet the best people on the road, and when you get to thinking your hot stuff, then you meet a woman like “Mom: and realize, Wow we have a long way to go to be cool.
From Arctic Wolf Day14

From Arctic Wolf Day14

Jeffrey and I went ahead into Whitehourse, and tried to sell the Kawasaki, it was clear that we could not get it fixed in only a few days. So we went to the three motorcycle dealers, two said they did not want it at all, and one said that the season was short and even if fixed he would have a hard time selling it, but he would give me $200 for it. So a bike that I thought was maybe worth 4K a few days ago, I could now get $200. So we decided not to sell and we would tow the bike to the ferry in Haines AL and see if we could find a way to get it shipped to Seattle SOMEHOW?????

Wow this is it 250 more miles of towing Jeffrey behind the Yamaha
From Arctic Wolf Day14

And it is noon as we are getting started, I hope we don’t get caught by the police.
But we are off
From Arctic Wolf Day14

Check this out, the Tenere really tows well, here I am at 60mph one hand just as smooth as can be. BTW the gas mileage in the Tenere dropped from 40mpg to 20 mpg
Still very scenic:
From Arctic Wolf Day14

From Arctic Wolf Day14

From Arctic Wolf Day14

By now, the Bears did not even notice we were towing
From Arctic Wolf Day14

Without the Kawasaki running Jeffrey got cold (no more heated vest or heated grips) so we stopped to take a warm up break.
From Arctic Wolf Day14

From Arctic Wolf Day14

From Arctic Wolf Day14

From Arctic Wolf Day14

Then we arrived in the United States, We hoped they would not hastle us for towing with a rope
From Arctic Wolf Day14

From Arctic Wolf Day14

No problem, if anything the border patrol cheered us on!
Around 8pm we made it to Haines!
From Arctic Wolf Day14

From Arctic Wolf Day14

From Arctic Wolf Day14

Tomorrow we plan to tow the Kawasaki onto the Ferry! I think we have logged 500miles of towing, let hope we can quit now, but after the Ferry in Prince Rupert, it is stull 1000 miles to Seattle and we have no plan…
End of day 14, gpsKevin
Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #68
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

The Kawasaki Story from Jeffrey, the other end of the rope

From Mug Shots

After leaving Elvis Presley house Graceland 2, we had to travel another 40 miles up to the next town which was our camp for the day in the faroway lodge in Faro, Yukon. It was a nice smooth fast dirt road winding through the mountains. The group was traveling at a great pace and making good time by now we only had about twenty miles left my bike had been running great all day long however this was about to change. With about fifteen miles left the bike did a huge cough and then rolled down the hill to a stop. The bike wouldn't start so we decided to tow it to town and figure it out when we got there.
We got there and began by pulling off the pannier and tank trying to get inside the bike to the motor. Once we got everything off I knew there was a major problem a chunk of metal was sticking out the top of the engine. Deciding to take the head off to see what happened. We encountered that the cam balancer had fatigued and broke off and then got jammed under the cam and jammed under the cam and broke the cradle. Overall this meant that the bike was unable to go any farther without parts. Now we needed to decide what to do in order to get the bike home.
Discussing all of the options we decided that we would tow it 300 miles to the nearest main town Whitehorse and try to sell it and find out if we could leave it up there. We were unable to find anyone of interest and found that we would have to tow it to our next destination a whole 300 miles away.
We continued to tow having it behind the mighty SUPER TENERE and log miles to the ferry in Haynes Alaska. By now we were fairly good at towing having several hundred miles down our belt. This morning while we were towing we ran into a wolf that just jogged across the road. We continued to tow across the mountains up into the snow. By now I was miserable traveling at about 50 mile per hour without heated clothes and minimal ferries on the bike, however a mission needed to be accomplished traveling to Haines. Going through road construction was the worst part because the bikes were so close together with the rope that all of the rocks were flying up into my face and chest and extraordinary velocities. We continued on seeing many grizzle bears off to the side along with caribou. Finally we came to the border and crossed back into the United States. By now I was feeling fatigued and wanting to be done but there was still another twenty miles of towing. The road wrapped along the river showing us the true power and size of these northern rivers. Along the river we found many beautiful bald eagles flying through the canyons finally we came to the Bear Creek Inn. This was a nice little place
Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #69
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 379
I'm really enjoying this RR. Nice to see the Versys doing so well.

Obviously, you've acquired considerable towing experience. While I hesitate to give advice...you might want to become familiar with the 'peg to peg' towing technique . It is quite stable and allows for quick release of the tow line when wrapped around the peg and held in place with the foot.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #70
dusty-dogg
n00b

Oddometer: 4
While I hesitate to give advice...

gpsKevin has towed his son 500 miles so far with out incident-believe the man knows how to do this.
dusty-dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #71
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty-dogg View Post
gpsKevin has towed his son 500 miles so far with out incident-believe the man knows how to do this.
Never a good idea to confuse good fortune with good technique.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #72
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,882
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #73
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Day15 Missy Driving the Alaska Ferry

From Mug Shots

We all had a look around Haines AL before getting on the morning ferry
From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

Then it was time to get on the Ferry
From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

Now it is time to just relax
From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

Missy talked (romanced) the Ships Mate into letting her drive the boat
From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Arctic Wolf Day15

From Mug Shots

Steve: We are on a cruise-kind of. Traveling from Haines to Prince Rupert. This Alaska is spectacular! I will come back here.
From Arctic Wolf Day15

We are seeing whales, eagles, glaciers, snowcapped mountains, & huge forest. Juno area had glaciers right above the city. Two nights on board. 500 passenger ship with all needed amenities. Restaurant is good; bar-lounge has a piano. Kevin has promised to play some honky tonk later. He does sing a pretty good Ricky Nelson “Traveling Man”. Missy does her thing! Girl has found a way to get a young, in training Pilot, to wash her cloths in the crew’s laundry. Us guys are wondering if this cute boy from California will bring her stuff back all folded up and ask her to join him in the crew’s quarters for dinner & wine?
All of us are holding up quite well. These two days onboard are a great time to refresh and reflect about the great adventure we are into. Three more sleeps and some of us will be home with family. OK, on with the adventure---Steve
Old 12-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #74
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Day16 WE SCORED!

Ok, we still need a way to get the broken Kawasaki back home. So the current idea is maybe we can find someone with a truck headed south. So at every port we watch all the cars getting on to the ferry. Juneau, no luck no truck get on the ferry, Petersburg also no luck, one port left. Yes at Wrangell some puckup with California plates drives onto the Ferry, We look the guy up on the ship and we tell him our sob story and the answer is YES, SCORE! We can put the Kawasaki into his truck and he will take Jeffrey and the bike south with him. His name was Larry
From Arctic Wolf Day16

Also he is passing right by the Spot in Seattle where we have left our support Van. So Maybe Jeffrey could drive back to Canada and meet us for the final ride celebration dinner!
From Arctic Wolf Day16

Now it's working out for us! Thanks Larry for CA

The Ferry was great fun and we needed the break, we had our final celebration dinner in port
From Arctic Wolf Day16

From Arctic Wolf Day16

From Arctic Wolf Day16

From Arctic Wolf Day16

From Arctic Wolf Day16

We get up at 2:00am to get off the Ferry and start tomorrows ride. Only 2 days of riding left
Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #75
rckt grl
Sportbike Addict

Oddometer: 81
Great RR from all of the different perspectives. Great adventure for all of you and I loved the Chubby Bunny clip!
rckt grl is offline   Reply With Quote