User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
mini trail clone/copy?

I've noticed that a lot of Honda mini trail copies have been popping up on my local clist. Z50, trail 70, zb. All with 125cc engines. Seems like the same bikes(skyteam) being sold under different company names like pitster pro, ssr, piranha, and more. Does anyone here own one of these or know more about em? Reason for my asking is that I had a lifan monkey z50 clone and it was a bunch of fun. The idea of the same little bike with a bigger motor makes me smile!
kyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 148
If you can find one with a Lifan motor it should be OK. A lot of fun. However some of the mainland China engines are junk and you will seriously regret purchasing one (ask me how I know).
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Think most of 'em are using Lifan engines. I had a CT70 clone with the 110cc (an actual 106.7, IIRC). Geared tight! Had to re-sprocket to use first gear. Some connecters/ a bad inline fuel filter were replaced, otherwise, everything just tightened up and locktited. Engine was solid. well-worth the dough, great fun.
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, et al...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyhillbilly View Post
Seems like the same bikes(skyteam) being sold under different company names
WMI codes
Parts resource
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here are some links to a few different bikes
http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/...mini-index.htm

http://wholesale-cycle.com/product/2...-Z-125-SILVER/
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I'm leaving in a few minutes to look at a CT 70 with the original engine, I've already been looking at the Lifan engines on flea bay
Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Dezzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
i own a new skyteam st dax clone with a 125 engine but has a handy 5.5 litre petrol tank, used it in the summer, good for what it is but one of the better copies out there, its currently in my shed stripped to the bare frame, going to get it powdercoated, replace most of the nuts n bolts with marine grade aluminium ones, replacing everything on it with better stuff basically and probably fitting a 190 anima daytona engine in it, watch this space! Ya want quality you can buy a honda depends how fast n how far ya wanna go and how often really, i have my husqvarna nuda 900 to play on for longer rides, and this will be mainly a posing tool and for going on the odd 100 to 150 mile ride out with other monkey bikers.

gonna look a bit like this when done but i like mine tall, not low rider style!
http://www.monkeymechanic.com/showth...-Fugly-190-Dax
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Picked the bike up and had it running in about 10 minutes. It has 725 miles on the clock and 2 of those are mine. It needs a good cleaning and a few parts but not much. I'm a happy honda owner again
Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Just got one. Pretty nice for the $$.

I just got one from Wholesale Cycle. I ordered on Sat and the bike was delivered to my door (via semi truck) on Wednesday. It was at the depot near my home on Tuesday. Wholesale Cycle is in Akron OH, and I'm in Pittsburgh PA, so the distance is short, but still Wholesale Cycle must have gotten it shipped first thing Mon AM.

Quality is pretty good for the price. Think of it like comparing a new $250 bicycle from Walmart to a new $650 Trek. The Trek's better and more refined in most respects, but with some tuning the Walmart bike can provide a lot of bang for the buck. The paint is very nice. The seat is upholstered nicely w/ nice materials. Switches and levers are good but not Japanese quality. Lights all say DOT. Chrome is pretty thin. The tires say DOT, but are pretty low-end, and waxy-feeling. The engine and exhaust look well made. Heat shields are tinny. Forks and shock seem solid and functional. The bike is EPA and DOT certified for 49 states. It has air injection, a canister and various emission plumbing, but it doesn't use a CV carb. The pipe looks pretty restrictive & has a bulge where I suspect a catalyst resides. After changing the oil, I had it idling in the garage some and it's very quiet-running and smooth. Too much snow on the ground to go for a ride. Wholesale Cycle says they'll be sending the notarized Bill of Sale and Manufacturer's Cert of Origin in a few days. After that, I'll get it titled and plated.

I haunt Craigslist like a fiend, and I know you can find some very nice used bikes for around a grand. But for something new, for around a grand, these are pretty cool.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
I just got one from Wholesale Cycle. I ordered on Sat and the bike was delivered to my door (via semi truck) on Wednesday. It was at the depot near my home on Tuesday. Wholesale Cycle is in Akron OH, and I'm in Pittsburgh PA, so the distance is short, but still Wholesale Cycle must have gotten it shipped first thing Mon AM.

Quality is pretty good for the price. Think of it like comparing a new $250 bicycle from Walmart to a new $650 Trek. The Trek's better and more refined in most respects, but with some tuning the Walmart bike can provide a lot of bang for the buck. The paint is very nice. The seat is upholstered nicely w/ nice materials. Switches and levers are good but not Japanese quality. Lights all say DOT. Chrome is pretty thin. The tires say DOT, but are pretty low-end, and waxy-feeling. The engine and exhaust look well made. Heat shields are tinny. Forks and shock seem solid and functional. The bike is EPA and DOT certified for 49 states. It has air injection, a canister and various emission plumbing, but it doesn't use a CV carb. The pipe looks pretty restrictive & has a bulge where I suspect a catalyst resides. After changing the oil, I had it idling in the garage some and it's very quiet-running and smooth. Too much snow on the ground to go for a ride. Wholesale Cycle says they'll be sending the notarized Bill of Sale and Manufacturer's Cert of Origin in a few days. After that, I'll get it titled and plated.

I haunt Craigslist like a fiend, and I know you can find some very nice used bikes for around a grand. But for something new, for around a grand, these are pretty cool.

I like it!!! Did yours come with the bigger 5.5l fuel tank?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Yeah, there's a sticker on the side that says 5.5L, ya just can't quite make it out in the pics.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks great, I might have to add one of those to the stable someday.

I've been cleaning a little on my ct70 and putting around the neighborhood a little, it will see more use when I get the lights working. I've also been looking at whats available for the crf 50, I could go overboard with that in a hurry.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
LarrytheDRguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
[I have seen these with front fender raised to give it the Dirt bikr look.
LarrytheDRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
Dezzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xpF8...YATZukhyUw0JSQ
this has raided the skyteam extra parts list, i just bought the swingarm for my build its nice quality, well done on getting the skyteam its a great little cheap bike and the bigger fuel tank is great, especially if you decide to put a bigger engine in later like i am doing!

This one has the works its lovely!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTlXM...YATZukhyUw0JSQ
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
3 up
Les in LV

Oddometer: 146
Monkey

My son and I are going to LA in the next couple of weeks to go buy two we live in Las Vegas and don't want to to the shipping thing, if I have an issue I want to take care of it there and then. Besides LAs back streets would be a blast on a little monkey bike. Maybe even the LA river yu see in the movies if we can without going to jail that is.
Do any of you guys have the mini trail 125?