User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Brooktown Geezer OP
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Vespa P200 suspension question

I'm building an "Adventure P200" for long distance touring, and it will be carrying the kind of stuff you carry on an extended ride, including extra fuel.

What are your thoughts on shocks? I'd pay extra for good suspension, if the shocks were really built for touring. It seems like most of the performance shocks were intended for racing/high speed, whereas what I'm looking for is stout and dependable.

SIP has a really nice looking set with variable presets, but when I see it marked as "for racing only" it makes me wonder. I know it's legalese for "use at your own risk" but the racing label makes me wonder if they were mostly developed to smooth out the ride for high speed.

I remember a few years ago when someone did some experiments with the Bitubo's for the modern scooters, I was a little surprised at how thin the metal was in places.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing from folks here who put some miles on various shocks and what your observations have been.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,654
try modern vespa forum. Some guys might now here but I m guessing there is more info over there .
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Brooktown Geezer OP
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
try modern vespa forum. Some guys might now here but I m guessing there is more info over there .
There are a couple of guys here on ADV who have the kind of experience that would give them a unique perspective, and hopefully they'll chime in.

I did post it on MV. While MV has some really good information because of the number of people who post there, I am hoping to get a little different point of view here.

Thanks,

Len

Brooktown Geezer screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 09:53 PM
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Owned a P200e with OEM shocks, plenty of weight capacity and it rode ok. What did those fellows who ran Paris-Dakar use? I'd be fitting a disc brake to the front before upgrading the shocks.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
zookiemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I think anything with a raised spring rate and adjustable damping will do just fine. What's the load limit factory on the p200? I would find out what they use on the delivery bikes. You know the ones that have big goof looking boxes on back.
The racing only thing might apply to the longevity of the seals and such, in such case I would avoid. As far as modern vespa I haven't even bothered registering to that site and all the vespa I own are newer. I think you came to the right place.

zookiemike is offline   Reply With Quote