Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 03:49 AM   #46
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer: 1,403
A great report of an obviously excellent adventure !!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #47
BayBags
Rough As

Oddometer: 15
Hi Greg

Hi Greg

Great ride report and shots. I was one of the motley crew of GAR riders leaving Cape Byron the same day you guys left and we met up again in Alice with you and Linc. Gotta thankyou for the bottle of red you left for us at Steep Point it was great to celebrate the end of our cross country adventure.

I gotta say the sand in to the point was the most difficult part of our trip as the group was such a blend of bikes and skill levels that we had to miss some of the more difficult stuff you guys took. Congrats on reaching the 'end of the road' mate!

As we had a cameraman I didnt take too many photos but we have yet to get anything back form him so your shots were really bringing back the terrain and why we enjoy to get out back so much...lots of nothing but sky by day and stars at night.... oh yeah and water in the desert - crazy. Might do the Simpson trip for Tugboat Bill in May as like you I think we all missed the real Big Red and now I need to go back to conquer it.

cheers mate

Barry
BayBags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #48
Tjilpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Excellent ride and report guys, thank you.
I lived in the Uluru (Ayers Rock) area for many years and, because some readers may not be aware, add a bit to this comment;

Quote:
No, we didnt climb it.
The local Pitjantjatjara and Yankuntjatjara Aboriginal people have always frowned upon tourist climbing Uluru, but it wasn't until the early 1970s (after closing the area to tourists for a day and conducting ceremonies there that they regained the confidence to express their concerns to the NT government. So now climbing Uluru is strongly discouraged.

And 'yes', Kata Tjuta (Many Heads) or 'The Olgas' is much more spectacular than Uluru and a enjoyable day can be spent riding and walking around Kata Tjuta.

Tjilpi screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 12:25 AM
Tjilpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #49
Tjilpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
re Lasseter and the 'Gold Reef'.

Just in the interest of information sharing, Lasseter sheltered in that cave on the Hull and eventually walked from there to his death in the desert.

The real tragedy is that the local Aboriginal people had been following him for weeks but he fired at them and scared them off. They could have saved him. In 1972 I had the good fortune to talk with an Elder of that area who, as a boy, was one of the group who followed Lasseter. Thankfully, the Elder's oral history has been recorded.

This is an overview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasseter's_Reef

Oh, the 'gold reef' was/is supposed to be near the WA-NT-SA junction.

A fabulous story to read from the many publications about it.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #50
Ian Robinson
SlowRobo

Oddometer: 286
Top RR & great pics. Well planned & well ridden..

It's always good to sit back & say "I've finally done it"
Ian Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #51
shelbyjet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayBags View Post
Hi Greg

Great ride report and shots. I was one of the motley crew of GAR riders leaving Cape Byron the same day you guys left and we met up again in Alice with you and Linc. Gotta thankyou for the bottle of red you left for us at Steep Point it was great to celebrate the end of our cross country adventure.

I gotta say the sand in to the point was the most difficult part of our trip as the group was such a blend of bikes and skill levels that we had to miss some of the more difficult stuff you guys took. Congrats on reaching the 'end of the road' mate!

As we had a cameraman I didnt take too many photos but we have yet to get anything back form him so your shots were really bringing back the terrain and why we enjoy to get out back so much...lots of nothing but sky by day and stars at night.... oh yeah and water in the desert - crazy. Might do the Simpson trip for Tugboat Bill in May as like you I think we all missed the real Big Red and now I need to go back to conquer it.

cheers mate

Barry
Hey Barry,

Yeah, it was a lot of fun too... cant believe it was 6 months ago now - time flies when your not having so much fun too.

Much to the consternation of many of my "friends", my wonderful Ténéré has now moved on and made way for a GS Adventure. With my dirt and sand skills up a bit, and every where I want to go is a bloody long way from home, I have felt it was time to move onto a little more power and a little more comfort. I must say,with only 750km on the big BMW, I am astounded at the balance of the thing - for such a lump of bike, it really does feel nimble, belying its girth.

Was really happy to have met you guys and shared our experience with you and shared in yours. We had awesome weather and I understand we were there for the 2 days a year Steep Point is not blowing a gale.

Keep in touch mate and if you ever find yourself in Sydney town, give me a hoy.

Greg

PS - I do miss the Ténéré...
Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #52
shelbyjet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Just got back from Cape York, effectively finishing our little jaunt around the country.

Aside from East-West, we have now ridden to the Northernmost, Southernmost, centre, highest and lowest roads in Australia...

More to do, I am happy to say, especially now that my BMW has made way for an 1190 Adventure R!