Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #1156
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
You don't need ridiculous noise levels to have enjoyable racing. Everyone who attends a Lemans car race says the quiet diesels are are pleasure to listen to. And cutting back noise levels pays all kinds of benefits with respect to the ability to have more races at more tracks. Some reduction in noise is just good business for motor racing in general, a sport BTW, that is in pretty serious decline these days.

When I go to a F1 race, I have to wear earplugs if I don't want to do long-term damage to my hearing. This seems well beyond reasonable limits to me.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #1157
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
You don't need ridiculous noise levels to have enjoyable racing. Everyone who attends a Lemans car race says the quiet diesels are are pleasure to listen to. And cutting back noise levels pays all kinds of benefits with respect to the ability to have more races at more tracks. Some reduction in noise is just good business for motor racing in general, a sport BTW, that is in pretty serious decline these days.

When I go to a F1 race, I have to wear earplugs if I don't want to do long-term damage to my hearing. This seems well beyond reasonable limits to me.

- Mark
But it's not even about how much noise it makes, its the kind of noise it makes. I haven't heard IRL cars in person but I have heard the Honda ALMS motors and they are just flat and boring sounding.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #1158
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,860
Quote:

- Mark
If it's too loud, you're too old.

CW
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #1159
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,861
Quote:

- Mark
I can only speak from my experience as a TV viewer of the vast majority of my racing. The IndyCar races are a bit duller, and it took me a while to realize it's the droning, non-peaky engine.

Of course, you're absolutely right about noise issues. I believe noise is a huge concern at Spa.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #1160
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Not so sure. IndyCar changed their engine and it sounds similar, not very exciting. It hurts the spectacle.
You can't draw too many conclusions from a crappy dyno run recording, and the ditch pumps IndyCar uses for engines can't be compared to the new F1 engines. They will sound fine, I'm sure. The V-6's of the first turbo era sounded fantastic (in person, at least). But then I don't think the current engines sound very good--all technical spectacle, no soul.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #1161
wxwax
Excited Member

I hope you're right. It's worth noting that Renault made that recording with the intent of capturing what it will really sound like.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #1162
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
The turbos may well be quieter, as the turbo uses some of the energy that a naturally aspirated engine wastes as noise.

I am perverse enough to find that idea quite attractive.

Has there been a clamp-down on the max sound emission as well?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #1163
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
The turbos may well be quieter, as the turbo uses some of the energy that a naturally aspirated engine wastes as noise.

I am perverse enough to find that idea quite attractive.

Has there been a clamp-down on the max sound emission as well?
No sir, no engine noise regulations that I'm aware of.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #1164
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
It means that they'll have to try and squeeze Lauda into the car instead.
Ha! Ha! Ha! Funny picture!

Hope Ferrari and Lotus get back on track to make the season more interesting. Last year the unthinkable occurred. I actually found F1 more interesting than Moto GP. Never thought that would have happened.
Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #1165
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Mark Webber has announced on his website he is joining Porsche's LMP1 team next season. I guess he has no incentive to play nicely with Vettel anymore.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #1166
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
Mark Webber has announced on his website he is joining Porsche's LMP1 team next season. I guess he has no incentive to play nicely with Vettel anymore.
I was thinking the same thing....
I bet the STR guys ramp up their game for the rest of the season starting NOW to try and get that RBR spot

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #1167
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
One website has Kimi as favourite to fill the RBR seat. Now that would be interesting; as much as I think Webber is a decent enough driver, he's never really challenged Vettel.

A nice early start to the silly season, the speculation is going to be fun to watch.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #1168
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
One website has Kimi as favourite to fill the RBR seat. Now that would be interesting; as much as I think Webber is a decent enough driver, he's never really challenged Vettel.

A nice early start to the silly season, the speculation is going to be fun to watch.
I cannot imagine Kimi playing second fiddle to anyone on any team. Let's face it, teams don't want their two drivers dicing on the racetrack. Second drivers exist to score constructor's championship points without getting in the way of the primary driver. Team orders are reality.

I could envision Kimi pulling an Aryton Senna and "accidentally" shunting Vettel if it increased his chance at a championship.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #1169
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,636
As much as it pains me to say it, because I really do like Webber, I think he suffers from a bit of the same, "This year is gonna be my year", that Coulthard suffered from. For an Aussie, a little too much crying and a bit too little proving on the track for me. Good to see him move back to sports cars but no one should get too excited. Porsche's participation in the highest levels of sports car racing has been fickle at best in the last decade and a half. I have doubts that their program will have anywhere near the longevity of the sister program at Audi.

From a manufacturer point of view, their recent performances have been marginal at best with exception given to LM24. Wins these days are more a fluke than expected as in years past.

I consider myself a Porsche fan and I hope this new program has the backing to really take the fight to the top but let's just say I am not optimistic.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #1170
JBSmith
Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
I cannot imagine Kimi playing second fiddle to anyone on any team. Let's face it, teams don't want their two drivers dicing on the racetrack. Second drivers exist to score constructor's championship points without getting in the way of the primary driver. Team orders are reality.

I could envision Kimi pulling an Aryton Senna and "accidentally" shunting Vettel if it increased his chance at a championship.
I can't picture Kimi giving a rat's ass about the number 1/number 2 dynamic. I imagine him looking over at Seb and saying, "Oh, you're here?" the way he'd address a piece of furniture in the room.

For that matter, how well is "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" going to play in RBR?

Cycle Guide Magazine The digital update of the print-era classic
JBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote