User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
prince_ruben OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
San Diego, CA to Eugene, OR

So I have 6 days off and plan on taking a ride from San Diego, CA to Eugene, OR. My idea is to break up the 16 hour ride into two days, hang out for 2 days, then ride home. This will be my first long ride solo and I'll be a riding a GS 1200. I plan on camping the way up and just checking out the views.

Any advice?

prince_ruben screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 10:17 AM
prince_ruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
So I have 6 days off and plan on taking a ride from San Diego, CA to Eugene, OR. My idea is to break up the 16 hour ride into two days, hang out for 2 days, then ride home. This will be my first long ride solo and I'll be a riding a GS 1200. I plan on camping the way up and just checking out the views.

Any advice?

Not trying to rain on your parade, but SD to Ugeen in two days means all I-5.

Unless you find a way to fly, it's the only option. Riding up the coast is a better choice, but that's not enough time tp do so.

When do you intend to do this?.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
prince_ruben OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh Togo View Post
Not trying to rain on your parade, but SD to Ugeen in two days means all I-5.

Unless you find a way to fly, it's the only option. Riding up the coast is a better choice, but that's not enough time to do so.

When do you intend to do this?.
Yeah, I figured I'd have to slab it all the way. Goal is to leave the day after Christmas and return New Year's Eve.

The coastal route was my original plan with a destination of Big Sur.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Yeah, I figured I'd have to slab it all the way. Goal is to leave the day after Christmas and return New Year's Eve.

One can only wonder why...? The coastal route is at least interesting whereas I-5 is boring as hell, not to mention riding along with semi's blowing water all over you and your ride. I love this part of the country but no way would misery like that appeal to me. You must have friends there or maybe an old college squeeze? If not then take the coastal route, camp a little in your waterproof tent, and use the two-day Eugene stay for riding where there's at least a view.

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Okiedokie... with that in mind, there are a few more-pleasant options once you get closer to Ugeen. If you've got the time, there are some interesting roads in Orygun that parallel the freeway, like this one: Cow Creek Road When dry, it only adds about 30 minutes compared to the freeway.

There's here: http://oregonmotorcyclist.com/ridepa...?page=statemap

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
One can only wonder why...? The coastal route is at least interesting whereas I-5 is boring as hell, not to mention riding along with semi's blowing water all over you and your ride. I love this part of the country but no way would misery like that appeal to me. You must have friends there or maybe an old college squeeze? If not then take the coastal route, camp a little in your waterproof tent, and use the two-day Eugene stay for riding where there's at least a view.

LL75
True, but the OP only has two days to get there, and it's almost 1K miles on the shortest/fastest route. That's not enough time for the coast option, and the days are so short now that he'll either have to be done with riding by 1600, or plan on finding a campground after dark. Taking the slab will let him ride much longer, and do some credit-card camping. After that many hours in the saddle, especially since it's his first time, a hot shower will be almost orgasmic.

Tosh Togo screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 11:17 AM
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
prince_ruben OP
Beastly Adventurer

It' looks like if I rode the coast, 9 hours later I'd be in Bug Sur. Hmm.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
the ride from SD to Big Sur along the coast is not the time consuming one. I would certainly opt for that. Even riding the 101 instead of the 1 in some sections will save you some time if you really think you need to rush. But that would mostly just cut out LA traffic. Depending on what time you leave might also play a role in this.

After Big Sur, the ride up the 1 can be pretty slow due to the curvy road and slow moving traffic. Its a bitchin ride though!

I'd say day one ride the coast for sure, allow for proper timing and it should be an easy one day on a bike as comfy and big as the GS. And if you start running late on day 1, you can always find a place to sleep in Cambria. Its about 75 mi south of Big Sur and has lots of great places to stay, and i think even a few camp grounds.

Day 2, I'd debate it, i've never gone much past Frisco on the 1, so i cant offer much input here.

Either way, have fun!
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
staudio
Time for a ride...

Oddometer: 179
A question for you PNW'ers...what is hwy199 like between Eureka and Eugene? Is an interesting ride? I'm in the early stages of planning a trip from the San Francisco area up to Portland to visit family. I don't want to slab it on Hwy 5, was thinking of taking the coast. I've never been on 101 north of Crescent City. Was thinking of taking Hwy 1 and Hwy 101 up to Florence and then taking 126 over to Portland....

Any thoughts?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,606
so here is my advice and take it for what it is worth.

Day 1 I-5 as mention, WILL BE DAMM BORING!!! but it is all the time you have, camp in Mt. Shasta area. (668.7 miles)
Day 2 go back a little south to Redding and take hwy 299 to the coast and then north on 101 all the way pass Redwood N.P and continue along the Oregon Coast until Hwy 38 and make a right and the I5 and you will be in Eugene (461 Miles)
Day 3-4 Eugene
Day 5 Eugene to San Francisco Area on I5 (528 miles)
Day 6 1 and 101 south San Diego This one is a long ride so maybe you will to go a little bit farther south the day before (maybe Salinas) (577 miles)

I did the calculating with Microsoft street and trips for times and distance. as you can see it does not leave a lot of time for smelling the flowers, but it can work...

Damasovi
Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
Sporttour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Last week coming back from Sausalito to Eugene took me almost 10 hrs (560 miles IIRC) during the day and with good conditions.

Keep an eye on the weather and be flexible with your plans, if the wx is bad expect delays in the mountain passes (Siskiyuo and Sexton).

Talk with these guys http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412129 as they have an impressive knowledge of the roads around Eugene (and the watering holes)

I will be down in Arnold CA for the holidays, otherwise; Mi casa es tu casa... but if in a pinch you need something in Eugene, let me know and I may be able to help.

(Hi, Tosh )

Good Luck!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio View Post
A question for you PNW'ers...what is hwy199 like between Eureka and Eugene? Is an interesting ride? I'm in the early stages of planning a trip from the San Francisco area up to Portland to visit family. I don't want to slab it on Hwy 5, was thinking of taking the coast. I've never been on 101 north of Crescent City. Was thinking of taking Hwy 1 and Hwy 101 up to Florence and then taking 126 over to Portland....

Any thoughts?
If weather and time permits it, that's a great way to go. The first few miles in from 199, before you get to Jedediah Smith Redwoods park, is crooked twisty heaven... so try to have a big gap in front before you dive in. The rest of 199 into Oregon is a pretty nice ride, with lots of variety.

As a scenic backroad alternate, you can turn off before Grants Pass and ride north on this one, then connect to this at Merlin, finally re-joining the freeway at Wolf Creek.

Fyi- the Orygun Coast via 101 is scenic, but it takes all day even when the days are long. Lotsa traffic/towns/etc. It's not a great place to hurry, even on a bike.

This time of year you've only got about 9 hours of daylight, it's generally wet, and there WILL be debris on the road in unplanned places.

OR126 gets a lot of attention from the local Gendarmerie, has beaucoups traffic, and unfortunately you can't lane-split up here like you can at home. If you want to go up the coast and head inland, OR34 is by far the best choice. It'll put you back on I-5 at exit 228.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
SD to Monterey Via Hwy 1= 1day Big Sur to Monterey is the busy stretch on weekends.

Monterey to Crescent City via 101= 1day, I would stay away of Hwy 1 starting in San Fran because the road is pretty delapidated and narrow, take101 N then west on Hwy 20 (Sweet twisty road) to Hwy1N.

Crescent City to Eugene via coast = 1day

You have to start early in the morning out by 6:30am as soon as daylight breaks to Sundown.

I'm in Monterey area and done these rides several times, for leisured pace you need one extra day, pack light because your bike is already pretty porky.

Enjoy the ride.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung3 View Post
SD to Monterey Via Hwy 1= 1day Big Sur to Monterey is the busy stretch on weekends.

Monterey to Crescent City via 101= 1day, I would stay away of Hwy 1 starting in San Fran because the road is pretty delapidated and narrow, take101 N then west on Hwy 20 (Sweet twisty road) to Hwy1N.

Crescent City to Eugene via coast = 1day

You have to start early in the morning out by 6:30am as soon as daylight breaks to Sundown.

I'm in Monterey area and done these rides several times, for leisured pace you need one extra day, pack light because your bike is already pretty porky.

Enjoy the ride.
FYI- there's a lot of fresh pavement on Highway 1 north of San Francisco.