User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
2tallnwide OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,330
Motorcycle regrets....

Is there a bike out there you had on a bucket list, or had a chance to buy but passed on it that you regretted ever since?

A bike that you sold, or traded for another then realized it was a mistake?

Is there a bike that you've always pined for but as yet have not pulled the trigger on?

Write a story or three, post up some pics, let it all hang out...(figuratively)

I'll start with my biggest motorcycle regret so far....

The bike...'79 CBX

The story...I got a call from an acquaintance saying he had heard I was looking for a street bike, and he had a '79 CBX he had to sell. He then asked if I would be interested in taking it out for the day..woo hoo I was all over that.

The ex and I drove over to his apartment where the '79 silver CBX with a Shoei cafe fairing was gleaming in the sunlight. He told us the story of him getting caught for 135mph in a 55mph zone, getting thrown in jail, and the bike impounded. He was selling it to pay for all of the fines and such.

We took off on his CBX, and spent the day riding it. Wow, that 6 cylinder is magic in sound, and power delivery. It is still one of the best looking motorcycles made as far as I am concerned as well.

The regret(s)...My ex talked me out of buying it, and I ended up buying a new V-45 Sabre instead...I have looked at buying one a few times over the years, but as yet never pulled the trigger. The fact that I just bought a Harley gives me renewed hope that I may one day cross the CBX off my motorcycle bucket list as well...*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
maikhoepfel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
On the subject of Honda's... I owned a beautiful Honda SevenFifty for two years. Then some idiot decided to do a U turn on the street without checking his mirrors. We collided on the RHS, and the bike was technically a write-off. I wasn't too upset because I got plenty of insurance money and went for a Dakar, which I wanted for some time. But I really regret not keeping that Honda; it's the first bike I did a proper trip (7000km! no fairing! Romania!) on, and it only needed a new exhaust and pedals and stuff, all cosmetic.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,596
I wish I hadn't sold my kid's first TT-R90 for sentimental reasons.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,804
My regret is selling my '83 XL600R for the second time.

I had it for almost a decade of blissful riding before I sold it the first time to a friend. After using it to ride with and teach his young son to ride, he sold it back to me. (He needed a faster 2-stroke to keep up with the little guy.)

Then my wife got her license, and needed something she could start (e-start). With limited space in the garage, I sold my beloved Honda for a second time; this time to a stranger 3 hours away. I don't expect to ever see the bike again.

Looking back, I should have just built a shed. Oh well, I guess I can't own every bike.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
i bet you do regret parting ways with the sweet CBX
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
Calimari
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Bought a new '82 GS650e when it was "last year's model" for $2,000. Same dealer had an '82 1100e for $3,000. Still bummed about that one. Don't know what I was thinking.

Calimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
2tallnwide OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimari View Post
Same dealer had an '82 1100e for $3,000. Still bummed about that one. Don't know what I was thinking.
Dang, that was a great deal. I remember passing on a brand new '82 1100 Maxim for $2600.00 OTD in '87 when I bought a new XT350. I liked the XT but probably would have kept the 1100 longer.

In '91 I paid $4650.00 OTD for a new '89 Pacific Coast. Trading it in Dec of '93 for a new Voyager is another regret. The PC was the most functional motorcycle I have ever owned, and so easy to take care of and maintain.

Lot of fun times on that little PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Bucket list. An old Indian Chief,. From back when Indian was associated with the word Hendee.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
You either loved'em or hated them. It was BIG jump in styling.
I LOVED them and always wanted one. They came out right in my hay-day of riding.
Sadly could never afford one.
Had a buddy paint one on the wall of my house...inside...on the 8'x20' wall behind the couch.
Would still like to get one

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...atana%2082.htm

http://www.bikeexif.com/ac-sanctuary-katana

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/

JOKER650 screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 04:44 PM
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
http://www.midamericaauctions.com/wp...0-3-1-1486.jpg When I was 16 my father visited his brother in Washington DC. My uncle said he wanted to give me his motorcycle (like photo). My father said, "Steve already has a motorcycle."
AND HERE IT IS http://pwoodford.net/blog/wp-content...onda-cl901.jpg
Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER650 View Post
You either loved'em or hated them. It was BIG jump in styling.
I LOVED them and always wanted one. ...

I had an 82, wish is still had it. It was squashed by a motorhome on Palomar mtn. in So Cal back in 84. I still have fantasies of getting another one...loved that bike.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
I sooo wanted a GS110e when I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan. Could have ordered it from the PX and picked it up in the States. Blew my cash on camera gear and food/drink instead.

The bike I regret selling is the '40 E Knucklehead chopper. Built it up from someone else's 10 year old project, put 35k on it in about 18 months and ended up selling it after buying a year old, new in crate Cagiva 650 Allazura. The friend I sold the knuck to tore it all down, made it pretty and in mostly stock trim, candy apple red paint, then rode it for a week and sold it to some one that offered him a ton of money for it. He never did buy another bike.

That was my first kick start, and only manual advance timing bike.

Sorry, no electronic photos.

Looked a lot like this when I had it.

Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
Dang, that was a great deal. I remember passing on a brand new '82 1100 Maxim for $2600.00 OTD in '87 when I bought a new XT350. I liked the XT but probably would have kept the 1100 longer.

In '91 I paid $4650.00 OTD for a new '89 Pacific Coast. Trading it in Dec of '93 for a new Voyager is another regret. The PC was the most functional motorcycle I have ever owned, and so easy to take care of and maintain.

Yep, I had one of those too. Put over 150,000 miles on it. The serial number on mine was 000016. Gave it to a close friend when my arthritis started getting bad, he is still riding it. He says the cam seals finally started leaking bad on it and we are supposed to change them this winter.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post

have an 89 that looks just like it, will be selling it because I bought a harley

and I really regret not buying one of those 82 CBX's when honda sold them off for half price in like 86 when they had the great warehouse cleanout sale, were also selling 79 CB 750k's for $999
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
Used CBX for $1500. It was silver and had aftermarket exhaust. Really regret that.

Dad refused to cosign for me to buy a leftover ELR. I was 19 and he said I would be dead in a month. $2500.

'95 speed triple new leftover in '96. $6250.