Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #76
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,960
The thing to remember, is that having a kid qualifies as a Life Changing Event, and most life insurance places will let you up your coverage as high as you want with no medical red tape.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #77
Grad OP
Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,257
Thanks everyone,
I am going to keep riding because it makes me so damn happy and I can't imagine going years and years without doing it. I have an application in for a $$$$ life insurance policy, so if something happens to me then YFFs better stay away from my rich wife!

Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #78
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,567
I rode more, a great escape from the insanity. even if to the store and back.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #79
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
I rode more, a great escape from the insanity. even if to the store and back.
The only thing I stopped was the skydiving. Without out that I became even more obsessed with motorcycles.
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #80
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,851
My risk tolerance for many activities changed when I had a family. I didn't stop doing anything for that reason, however. I merely managed the risk appropriately
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #81
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 697
In fact, I brought my in labour wife to the clinic to give birth on the back of one of my bikes - her demand, not mine.

Yup, I only have owned bikes these last three years. It's going to be while before I own another car.

I have one for roads, two for off-road and a scoot that's in three dozen pieces waiting for me to get a day off work. I do approximately 1000km per month, but more on months where I get out for more than a morning or the commute to work.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #82
JustLoping
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Two Years and Missing It

I feel your pain.

I haven't posted on ADV for a couple of years - not since I sold my last bike. My daughter turns three tomorrow, and I sold my last bike (I say last because five years ago I had four of them in the garage) two years ago in February. I had all the same reasons you and others have listed - my wife refuses to get on anymore, no time to ride, and oh yeah...I might not come home from a ride.

I'm a MSF Course-trained rider, I used to practice on a regular basis, and I'm ATGATT even in the dead of summer. I've always had a motorcycle endorsement on my license; I turn 52 next week (yeah...do the math, I had a daughter a week before I turned 49). It took my wife and I 18 years, so needless to say parenthood is a big deal to us - a gift we'd given up on. So the bike is gone, has been for a couple of years, and I miss riding every day. FWIW, this was my decision. My wife was not supportive of selling to start since she knows how much I love to ride, but she understood the thought process.

So my daughter's no longer a baby, and I have some time here and there to swing a leg over, but now I'm bikeless. My wife is mostly okay with me getting a new one...but we'll see how that goes if I fall off the wagon. I struggle with the big picture - what if I don't come home from a ride? Financially they'd be fine; frankly I'm worth more dead. But I'd hate to have someone else raise my kid, and I wonder if my passion is worth the risk. On the other hand, I don't want to lose who I am in the act of being a father. I'll most likely get another bike - maybe in the spring. Or in a year.

I thought I'd move on...crap.

I feel your pain.
JustLoping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #83
DefyInertia
Saratogian

Oddometer: 153
Life should be lived to the fullest. I try to lead by example. I have a 17 month old daughter and a almost born daughter.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #84
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,748
We're all aware that street riding is dangerous but how about trail riding? There's a lot of fun to be had on a small bike on dirt roads and trails, and it's about as safe as walking. Fix up an old Trail 90 and make a rack to haul it to the trails on the family car.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #85
Dauntless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I kept riding after my kids were born. They are 4 and 9 now. I have a two million dollar life insurance policy which is probably why my wife encourages me to ride more often.
Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #86
dirtyron
never grew up

Oddometer: 291
continued to ride after child one and two and three and four and the grand children and the great grand children. not riding is not an option, never even considered it.
dirtyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #87
dirtyron
never grew up

Oddometer: 291
and fuck the stats man .
dirtyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #88
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,692
Me and my wife were racing a local hare scramble back in 87,wife kept feeling sick snd at one of the checks she puked.Got home and she felt bad,went to the doctor the next day and found out she was pregnant.25 years and another kid later we are still both riding,me year around(15,000 miles a year ) she rides in good weather and both are riding to Dead Horse next June..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #89
Mike in Atlanta
Oh Noes

Oddometer: 989
Hi Grad,

Doubt you remember me from Bob's tech day 4 or 5 years ago, heck it might have been even longer now.

Anyway, same boat, we now have a 5 month old at home. Once I knew my wife was pregnant, I just could not bring myself to go take a ride and not "think" about what might happen. It changed riding for me completely, as it is always in the back of my mind. It was completely unexpected and took me by surprise, one day I realized that it had been 10 months since the GS had left the shop and over a year since I rode north of 53. I have been in the process of getting the GS ready to go on the chopping block, so to speak. Of course part of me thinks "keep riding, keep living etc" but on the other hand the numbers don't lie about the increased risk with riding. I plan on selling the bike, spending a few quality years with the boy and once he is old enough to start riding dirt bikes then I will gradually get back into dual sports/dirt bikes. I grew up riding with my Father and recently learned the only time in his life he did not have a motorcycle was from the time I was born to my 5th bd when he brought home a pair of RMs for the both of us.

07 R1200GS
Mike in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #90
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Or you could put the GS in storage and give it to him on his 18th birthday.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote