Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 AM   #91
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post
Or you could put the GS in storage and give it to him on his 18th birthday.
Best idea ever!

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 12-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #92
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,687
Reviving an old thread here. We Donkeys welcomed a new member to the family on December 3rd. This is how we got to the hospital.

So yeah, we're still riding.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #93
Balootraveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Did not ride until my girls could drive themselves now I ride almost everywhere I go:)
Old 12-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #94
wjfawb0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I had my first kid and then went out a month later and bought a WR250R. A few months later I bought another FZ1. I rode them for a couple years. When my kid started going to daycare and I had to pick her up everyday, the bikes never saw the road. I sold them due to lack of use. I will probably get another dual sport one day, but for now I'll stick to jeep's, buggies and cages. There's not enough time to do it all, but I'll have fun doing what I can.
wjfawb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #95
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 480
It's all about assessing and mitigating the risk. There's only one guarantee in life: no one gets out of it alive.

I don't ride at night, in bad weather, or when there's a chance of black ice (below 40 degrees, or early in the morning after a frost) on a street bike. I don't ride tired. I don't drink... not even one drink. I don't ride quickly enough where riding becomes a test of courage. I don't take stupid chances. (I waited until I was over 50 to ride a street bike; the way I drove when I was younger I'd have been dead by now. Getting older has a way of calming you down.)

Looking at the stats, the average motorcyclist has approximately a 1:1430 chance of being killed in any year (4800+/- fatalities yearly among a 6.6M motorcyclist population). However, the stats are skewed heavily towards people who ride at night, have their ability degraded by drugs or alcohol, who don't wear sufficient protection, e.g., helmet, armored clothing, and/or drive recklessly. If you are not in that subset and instead are a prudent, responsible rider, you've probably decreased your risk by an order of magnitude (assuming the high risk pool is about 10% of the overall population).

In short, you can never guarantee your safety. That's why people buy life insurance. What you can do is to put the odds in your favor by making behavioral changes. Whether you choose to continue to ride or not is up to you... but if you do, minimize your risk to maximize your odds.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #96
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
Never understood the false dichotomy of riding before versus riding after having a family.

Statistically, giving up the motorcycle while attempting to lower your overall risk profile for death is like going to an all you can eat pasta buffet and removing one strand of spaghetti and calling it a diet. You are more likely to die in your car, fall to your death or be poisoned than die from a motorcycle crash.

You are 100 times more likely to die from heart disease.

You are about as likely to catch on fire and die.

Giving up the motorcycle in order to be a 'good parent' is not rational. It is based on fear assessment, not risk assessment.....or based on image consciousness.

Of course, pretty much every other human endeavor is judged similarly so don't feel bad if you already sold your bike. You aren't dumb, just not rational.....like pretty much everyone else!

GoUglyEarly screwed with this post 12-20-2013 at 10:46 AM
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #97
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
+1

IBA#56676
Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #98
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Geez, I took up motorcycles because of my kids..............

Best way to blow off steam, especially since beating the little buggers is so politically incorrect nowadays.

And in our Golden Years (we hope) a bike and sidecar will be our RV.

If you have to make an economic choice for your kids, that is understandable.

But don't do it for risk management. Too many ways to die, not enough ways to live.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #99
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
If you are ever scared of riding, stop riding, it will bite you and kill you.

That said naturally riding time does decrease when you have little ones. I had two children, one 11 and the other 5. They are great and I love them, and now that they are older I can get away a little more. When I commuted on the bike it was great because I rode everyday no matter what, but my current position does not allow me to do that easily. But I still get in rides. My oldest has no desire to ride pillion, she tried it and didn't like it. The youngest can not reach the pegs yet, but maybe by the end of this school year. I have a feeling she will love it.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #100
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
I have always rode and have never taken a break. I will stop riding when I die. I take my kids for rides now that they are old enough. Wife will still hops on the back, but once the kids came, she definitly cut down on the miles per year. When we were dating we rode all the time.

I've always made sure I had life insurance, disability insurance, a will, a living will and full medical coverage for myself and my family. I invest heavily for the kids future and our retirement.

I've done what I feel I needed to do to be a responsible husband and father so that I can ride guilt free and enjoy how ever much time I get to rip around on this big blue orb.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #101
bbrz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
As I read this, of course you have decisions in your life, as do I.
Life changing events could happen on the way to work,grocery, or
anywhere. Motorcycling is, in my mind, nothing to give up because of
children, or, grandchildren. Why would anyone fear that they may not come back from any of these activities?
I have never left home thinking that I may not return.
Our four children, and two grand daughters would not know me without
a motorcycle (or two) at our home.
The little one's are not bike ready yet, but soon.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #102
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
didn't stop riding... but did slow down (on the street) a lot shortly before my first daughter was born. maybe a bit more so as each child was born (i've a few).

i still commute daily, pleasure ride, ride off road, occasionally race (on track or off road only) and overall enjoy motorcycling even MORE because of my kids.

i did, however, greatly increase my insurance coverage.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #103
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
I have a small picture of my kids on my dash to keep my head in the right place.
Smoke Eater 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #104
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,020

Yup!
I've actually retired from road racing, but still instruct with a td org, race scrambles and enduros, and try and commute as much as humanly possible by bike. You cannot give up your identity when you become a parent. Doing the things you love helps make you a better person and, in turn, parent IMO.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #105
Meatn'taters
Not any more

Oddometer: 234
Not over, just a break

Was more about lack of time & money, need for car seat, than safety for me. Sold bike after second son born, didn't buy another bike until my oldest of three boys turned 12 - old XR80 for them to play around with. Next thing I know, garage full of MX bikes and my three boys are racing motocross all over the west, in a fifth wheel toy hauler, we're gone every weekend. Loved every minute of it - expensive as hell, a LOT of injuries, but well worth it. We all follow pro Supercross/Motocross together - they talk about their racing days all of the time. When youngest (actually earned his AMA pro license) hung up his chest protector for College, Dad (me) got himself a GS, and absolutely loves it. I'm back riding - life is good. 6-week Alaska trip this summer! .

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there".
Yogi Berra
Meatn'taters is offline   Reply With Quote