ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
real gone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
LA to Seattle via Mt St Helens

I'm taking a trip in mid July from Los Angeles to visit my sister in Seattle. I thought I would take a side trip to Mt. St Helens on the way. I was wondering what the best way to go through Oregon would be. I would like the most scenic/twisty/less traveled route possible. I'll be riding a 12GS. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Scott in So Cal
real gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #2
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Seems like there are two questions here: Oregon and St. Helens.

I could send pages describing great routes N-S through Oregon, but assuming you don't want to wind around too much, there are basically four options: 101 on the coast, I-5 corridor, US-97, and US-395. The coastal route is scenic and cool, but pretty slow with generally heavy traffic and limited twisties. I-5 just sucks as all interstates do. US-97 has some nice spots, but it tends to be awfully straight for the most part.

I'd vote for 395, but you're going to have to trend some distance E which will add some miles. If I were making this trip, I'd probably work the coastal range stuff coming out of LA, then do 25 up to the Bay Area, freeway around the Bay Area, then work the great stuff in N. Calif up to Redding or so. Then cut across the Sierras to N. Nevada and link up to 395. When you hit I-84 near the OR-WA border, do the Columbia River Gorge for while (14 is a little more fun on the N. side but slower than I-84) until near Carson. Then do the forest service roads on the E side of St. Helens, including coming into the crater from the E on Windy Ridge/99. Once you get far enough N, this will dump you out at Hwy 12 in Randle and there is a nice little back route to get to Enumclaw, then take the obvious route to Renton and into Seattle.

If this appeals to you and you want more detail, let me know.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
janders
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Check out Hwy 1 just north of San Francisco up to where it meets Hwy 101. Sick crazy ass turns on that road and great scenery. I just ran from SF to Seattle following the coast last week. It was a great ride and beautiful but Hwy 1 was probably the best section.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
skippy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I just did this drive to Mt. St. Helens and back.

I think you should look at reserving a Yurt at the State parks on the OR coast. They are great values for travelling, $27/day.

The 1 north of SF is plenty twisty all the way to where it merges w/ the 101.

The area east of Bend is also nice. I think there's a route on the US20 that circumnavigates the Three Sisters and has nice views and waterfalls.

The trout fishing looks real good in there too.

We drove Highway 503 out to Mt. St Helens. It was overcast so we only saw the lower half but that was still very scenic. I hear the lava tubes on the way are a good stop too. I think they're called the Ape Caves or something like that.

cheers.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #5
real gone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great Info. Guys. One question though; what the hell is a Yurt? I do like the idea of heading east a bit and doing 395. I'll have 8 days for my journey to & fro so adding a few miles won't hurt. I'll also have my camping gear so if anyone can suggest good camping along the way I would be thankful.

Scott
Old 06-21-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by real gone
Great Info. Guys. One question though; what the hell is a Yurt? I do like the idea of heading east a bit and doing 395. I'll have 8 days for my journey to & fro so adding a few miles won't hurt. I'll also have my camping gear so if anyone can suggest good camping along the way I would be thankful.

Scott
Yes, do the 395. I just got back from doing 1000+ miles in under 24 hours going from Newport Beach, CA to Washougal, WA. I did the I5 route as I had to beat the clock, but I soooooo wanted to do that 395 way. I mean, you'll be close to Death Valley, Mt.Whitney, and Lake Tahoe! DO IT!
Series IIA 109" Land Rover Deluxe Station Wagon
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:05 PM   #7
real gone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, I just googled Yurt. I thought these things were only found in the highlands of Tibet. I think I'll try to find one of these on the way back. I'll do 101 up to hwy 36 and take that east to I5 and figure out a way to get to 395.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:06 PM   #8
skippy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I'd advise reservations for the Yurts. These were in high demand when I went through on Memorial Day.

You can reserve them here:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/

cheers
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #9
pnwroamer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Laugh Oregon Backrods

Quote:
... I was wondering what the best way to go through Oregon would be. I would like the most scenic/twisty/less traveled route possible. I'll be riding a 12GS. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Scott in So Cal
O.K.... here goes! (did this in my Subaru two yrs ago and have to redo it on two wheels)

Get to Crater Lk. then overnight just a bit north of there at Diamond Lk. (hwy. 138)

Now procede n. to F.S 60 which becomes gravel and in several miles crosses Windigo Pass. There is an incredible sense of "high forested" remoteness through here!!! You will end up at Hwy 58.

Go west to the small town of Oakridge or Westfir and head north on lightly travelled and remote FS 19 through Box Canyon and S fork Mackenzie R. passing Cougar Res. and ending at hwy 126. Beautiful, twisty, remote, woodsy untrafficed route. (somre great camping spots along River here).

Head East on 126 a ways to Jct. and go east (right) on 242 over the incredible road laid right on top of lava field.(Mackenzie Pass- do Google on history of this road, what an engineering feat!!!) Sensationally twisty, marvelously scenic!!!

At Sisters, head back N-Westerly on Hwy 126/20 to Santiam Jct. and head north up Hwy 22 to Detroit Lk. At this jct.,head east on FS46. Again, all good road (paved). A ways up, after heading north, look for FS 42 (Oregon Skyline Rd. on right, heading n.e. ) At one point you'll crest the Cascades and hav a magnificient and unique view of Mt. Hood!!!!

Continue to hwy 26 and head north towards Barlow Pass. If one has a real sense of adventure, you can ride parts of the original Oregon Trail around here but time may be a factor. (I've dual sported a lot thru here)

Follow Hwy 35 n.e. around east flank of Mt. Hood . (a side excursion to Timberline Lodge (heading west a bit) goes up a great twisty scenic road to lower slopes of Mt. Hood)..., well worth the added jaunt!!!
Back on 35 e., You'll end up in Hood River and a good place to call it the end of the day!!!

Next morn., cross the Columbia R., head west to Carson., head north up to Mt. St. Helens and "adventure time" all over again!!!!

You said you wanted "scenic, twisty, less travelled route". I seriously doubt this can be topped coming up through the Cascades and avoiding ALL major interstates the entire lgth. of the state.

Your bike will have no difficulty negotiating these roads.... enjoy!!!
pnwroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:14 PM   #10
real gone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

pnwroamer,

This is great. It's exactly what I was looking for. I'll break out the map this weekend and start planning. Do you think this route can be done in two days or less?

Scott in So Cal
Old 06-25-2005, 08:08 AM   #11
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
pnwroamer,

This is great. It's exactly what I was looking for. I'll break out the map this weekend and start planning. Do you think this route can be done in two days or less?

Scott in So Cal

no.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:24 PM   #12
pnwroamer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
L.A. to Wa.

...from L.A.???

Get to Diamond Lk. http://www.diamondlake.net/ (however long that will take you)
and pre-arrange overnighting (campground, cabins, etc) Be sure to do loop ride around Crater Lk..

It will take you a day to get up to Columbia R. (Hood Riv.) from Diamond Lk. if you follow the route I suggested and allow for numerous photo stops (well worth it!!!)

It's a good day fr. there (Columbia Riv.) thru St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, and on up to Seattle.

on the section just n. of Diamond Lk. (FS 60) it is long, straight gravel for several miles and eventually becomes good/packed dirt road, winding through forest over Windigo Pass. Again I assurre that it's good road (or was then!)
I didn't think to mention that above. All other roads are paved although I recall the "Skyline Drive" being a paved over logging road... sometimes narrow and not the smoothest underlayment)

The only thing I could perceive altering this would be major forest fires which, in the past few yrs., have closed some of these roads temporarily.

On a weekday, you may find that you have most of these roads virtually all to yourself!!!! Go for it!!!!

(so as not to clutter up this msg. board, if you want more detail, I would be happy to e.mail links/ what-nots)
pnwroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #13
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwroamer
...from L.A.???

Get to Diamond Lk. http://www.diamondlake.net/ (however long that will take you)
and pre-arrange overnighting (campground, cabins, etc) Be sure to do loop ride around Crater Lk..

It will take you a day to get up to Columbia R. (Hood Riv.) from Diamond Lk. if you follow the route I suggested and allow for numerous photo stops (well worth it!!!)

It's a good day fr. there (Columbia Riv.) thru St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, and on up to Seattle.

on the section just n. of Diamond Lk. (FS 60) it is long, straight gravel for several miles and eventually becomes good/packed dirt road, winding through forest over Windigo Pass. Again I assurre that it's good road (or was then!)
I didn't think to mention that above. All other roads are paved although I recall the "Skyline Drive" being a paved over logging road... sometimes narrow and not the smoothest underlayment)

The only thing I could perceive altering this would be major forest fires which, in the past few yrs., have closed some of these roads temporarily.

On a weekday, you may find that you have most of these roads virtually all to yourself!!!! Go for it!!!!

(so as not to clutter up this msg. board, if you want more detail, I would be happy to e.mail links/ what-nots)

Good info pnwroamer, don't worry about the clutter. thats what the board is for. give it all you've got. Pictures too just post em man.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:07 PM   #14
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,313
Thumb

Quote:
I'm taking a trip in mid July from Los Angeles to visit my sister in Seattle. I thought I would take a side trip to Mt. St Helens on the way. I was wondering what the best way to go through Oregon would be. I would like the most scenic/twisty/less traveled route possible. I'll be riding a 12GS. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Scott in So Cal
Try Pashnit.com for the CA part abd try this for WA/Ore http://www.motorcycleroads.us/or.html good luck and have a safe ride. BTW 395 is great, done it in a cage though. Drop in to Nicely's at 120/395 for dinner, good home cooking and maybe Bodie for a little ghost bustin'

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:53 PM   #15
real gone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

ok...I should have been more specific. I was asking if I could cross Oregon in two days following the route pnwroamer suggested. I have a total of 9 days for this trip. My style of touring is kinda just wingin it as I go along. I won't have a lot of preplanned destinations.

PS. I rode to Crater lake last September and spent two days exploring. Quite awesome. So I probably will bypass doing a loop this trip.