Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #31
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Another day, another birthday.

12/04/2012
Now it's my sister's birthday. Back to facebook I go...

Woke up early to sunshine (as opposed to dark at this hour further north) and broke down camp. Time to make more miles and finally see my friend in Phoenix tonight. I'm still taking the back roads, at least for a while. Eventually it gets hard to get to Phoenix without using the interstate while still staying mostly on task. I cruised through Joshua Tree east and north, stopping to take in some sites.

It's early, cold and wet...

Stopped here to dry out gear and self (from dew).

Exited the park where they made me pay the entrance fee (7 day ticket for less than 24 hours, but it was only 5 bucks) and headed into 29 Palms for coffee. From there I took Rt. 62, following the northern border of the park east. It's a nice road with very little traffic.

It's a long road ahead.

The ride was quite enjoyable even though I'm starting to get a little worried with how little tread I have left on my tires (the rear especially) and how the chain is starting to bind a little bit (it was the chain that cause the clunking sounds earlier, a little lube took care of it). Both are worn out and both will be replaced in Phoenix. If only I can make it another 300 miles or so...

Mmmmm... Jerky...

It's a sign (or two)

Art or vandalism? The world may never know...

After taking Rt. 62 to where it meets Rt. 95 ("100 miles to next services" sign not photographed), I stopped at the corner store/gas station and met some Harley riders from Lake Havasu and a couple of Dutch bicyclists who are riding L.A. to Miami. Dutch people are amazing. Anywhere I go in the world, there they are. This couple was in their 60s and had ridden over 80,000 kms around the world on their bicycles. They told me a story of how they got robbed at knife point in Belize, but otherwise Central America was amazing for them.

Stock photo, not my own.

From the corner store I headed south on Rt. 95 because it follows the river and the Cali/Arizona border. I though it would be a nice change of scenery, but the road was just far enough from the river that it may as well not have been there (in hindsight, I think continuing east instead of heading south would have been much better). The unfortunate result of this decision was that once I reached Blythe, I had to take the interstate the rest of the way to Phoenix. It's fine, but I just prefer the smaller (read: slower) roads. Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe it's the KLR (as opposed to the beautiful, smooth, wonderful and fast VFR), but I prefer not to ride faster than 55mph. I did pick it up on the interstate to, at least, feel safe in the traffic.

Sunset at a rest area off the I-10. Time to stow the sunglasses...

I powered down the I-10 to Phoenix and arrived at my friend's house. It's really good to see him again. I'm expecting some packages at his house including new riding pants (remember the buckle?) and new tires (Anakee 2s). I'm going to be here for a few days enjoying the break before finally getting to the "good stuff".

---Ride Report Intermission---

Coming up next: Phoenix to Mexico and beyond! (unless I talk about the maintenance I'll be doing at a fellow inmate's garage).

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #32
r6-lover
n00b

Oddometer: 8
great ride report. I am doing a similar ride this winter. Just left Vancouver, Canada today. Dec. 8. hope to run into you on the road, riding a 2008 KLR650
r6-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #33
agplant
Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer: 287
I am so going to follow along for this one.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #34
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Subscribed . Gonna follow this one as I have plans to follow a course similar to what you are doing .

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #35
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 587
Subscribed, Good Luck and ride safe.
pceire32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #36
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Man, looks like it's a fun ride already!

Are you really from Ukiah? I'm from Hermiston; my family has a cabin near Ukiah....I grew up riding dirbikes into town to get icecream.

Also, good to see some pictures of J-Tree. I lived in 29 Palms for three years!

Have fun man! You can't go wrong using Jdowns as a source of info. I just rode with him for a day. He's a great guy!
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #37
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tomorrow it's on again.

r6-lover - I just posted to your RR before I saw your reply :) Hope you catch up and join soon.

Ulyses - Thanks. I've lived in Ukiah in the summers (~5 months out of the year) for the past 6 years. Used to live right in town but now occupy the Frazier heli-base (it's not a heli-base anymore, it's now a fisheries base) right across the road from the OHV complex. I work for the forest service... Some amazing riding in that area!!

Did a bunch of work to the bike in preparation of tomorrows departure:
Valve check (in spec.)
New chain and both sprockets.
Fixed fork seal and changed the fork oil.
New front break pads. Changed brake fluid front and rear (it was brown).
New tires (Anakee 2s)

Tomorrow I'll camp just south of Tuscon and then enter Mexico on Tuesday morning and book it south all day, then go nice and slow from there on out.

KLR Build Thread
Old 12-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #38
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 168
IN!!!
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #39
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Major snafu :(

Just a quick update from the border. Due to my extreme negligence in one minor aspect, I cannot cross the border at this time. Apparently with all my planning I somehow grabbed copies of both my title AND registration. The officials at immigration were not having it. Turned me back

So herein lies my dilemma: The only way for me to get an original of either my title or registration is to ride back up to Oregon or wait 4 WEEKS for a replacement. I looked into registering the bike in Arizona, but you need an original title for that too...

Any suggestions? At this point I'm heading back to Phoenix to regroup at my buddy's house and see what I can figure out.

KLR Build Thread
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #40
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
How about ordering the dupes to be sent to your buddy in PHX's address and then touring about the southwest until they arrive? BTW, I had no idea you needed originals either.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #41
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Oregon DMV will only mail a duplicate title and registration to the address on your drivers license.

I just checked:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages...egreplace.aspx

Then you'll need someone to forward it to you. It won't be any faster in person than online, so you just have to make lemonade and party in the southwest. You can hit Baja for a while without a tarjeta de tourista. Or get a job as a mall Santa Claus for a couple weeks.

Just some ideas.

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 01:19 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #42
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Most options are on the table...

The only option not on the table is going home

Thanks Slide and JDowns. I've given both Oregon and Arizona DMV a call to "discuss" my options. It would take ODMV 4 weeks to get me a new title (only and ONLY if the old one is destroyed/stolen), but they would send it to me here (or so they say). ADMV was unable to help until I had my original O title in hand. I KNEW I needed an original title OR registration, so I opted for registration as they are easier to replace, but then went ahead and grabbed all copies

I'm developing a plan based on the kindness of friends... Have to send my storage key to a friend (yes, it was stupid not to leave it with the rest of my keys in said friend's pocket) who will have to go to my storage unit, find the title and send it down here to my friend in Phoenix. Looks like I'll be occupying friend's house on and off for a bit (oh joy for him).

Looks like Arizona (and maybe Baja) will be home for a while!

What are some sweet spots to ride??

KLR Build Thread
Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #43
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
What are you looking for as 'sweet'? I find the Monument Valley to be a real treat as well as some of the red rock / rim rock of UT. The problem is weather. If you aren't well equipped for cold weather, you are vulnerable to either freezing or being stuck somewhere. I'm about 400 miles east of you. We had 60 degree days and 45 degree nights up to Sunday when the nights went below 20 and today it'll be only about 48, but it'll warm.

I make that point to say that this time of year, you can have cold fronts dramatically change the weather once you are north of your current location.

I suppose you could take the far south route to Big Bend, tour around that interesting place in TX and then return being fairly safe from weather which would overwhelm your riding outfit. I find the southern deserts to be beautiful and interesting, but that may be because being a native, this his home to me. Others only see sand, cacti and scorpions.

Your other route would be to Yuma then San Diego for a run in SoCal which is always interesting and would tend to be clothing appropriate as it's never bitterly cold there.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #44
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Overnight the key to your buddy in Oregon, have him overnight your title to Phoenix and head for Nogales two days later.

You can catch up on Star Trek re-runs for two days at your buddie's house in Phoenix in the mean time.

I call this plan C from outer space.

Hope to see you down the road.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #45
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Pm sent
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote