User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
Tell me about the Ford Flex...

With the addition of mini-me to our flock last month, we're now looking for a larger vehicle, but want to stay away from the full-size SUVs (Suburban, Navigator, etc) and (yawn) mini-vans. Likewise, the smaller SUVs may not have enough room for us. I've got a 2007 Jeep Patriot and while it has done an admiral job in the past, we'd like more room and now at 90,000 miles the CVT transmission sounds like it's about to self-destruct. I'd like to unload it before it goes boom, and stay away from any other Chrysler product.

I also like that the Flex is a bit unique and not so common as the Explorer or Tahoe, etc. So, it seems like a used Flex would be a good fit for us... but other than sleuthing the Intrawebz, I don't know much else about it. Was curious to know if any Inmates own one or have any experience with them?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
I rented one in Maui last year, we freekin loved the thing: It swallowed 4 people and their week's worth of Costco food (half of which was booze ), all our luggage from San Diego (inc. a guitar, fins, Mrs. Desmo's endless cases...you get the picture), and was still as roomy as a leather sofa.

We took it up the crazy windy road to Haleakala crater (google the road if you are not familiar), and it handled almost as good as my Porsche: flat, stuck like glue, and plenty of power with the stock V6. There is a "platinum" turbo model which would be a fantastic wagon express (320ish HP).

It's very comfy but great handling as it's not a dumbass "crossover" compromise, lots of nav and convenience toys, huge inside, triple row seats with some flipping, very quiet, and seems to be made with good quality, Oh yeah, it did about 24 MPG city hauling all of us around. I'd buy one in heartbeat when the Escape dies (now on 240K).

No, I do not work for Ford
Desmofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,911
Friend has one and it is a very nice car. I think they seem to be the station wagon of old.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Maccoul
Bam Bam

Oddometer: 95
eco boost and very reliable
Maccoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,399
I've talked to two people that have one.. and they both love them...

One guy is not a car guys at all.. he loves the AWD, easy step in height and low tailgate for loading (its his wife's car)...and it gets better mileage than the Explorer it replaced...

The other guy is a car guys (domestic muscle car version) and he got the one with the turbo... He said it is a pretty nice sleeper and very comfortable...

It looks like a great road-warrior vehicle if you spend a lot of time in car and have to haul a bunch of stuff around with you... sales rep, skilled service provider etc....
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,396
:waco

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Spud99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
We've rented a few of them. Quite liked the space, drivability and interior. One niggle is the low door swing height. Watch your feet when opening from the outside, or your foot may get hit by the lower door edge and trapped between the lower edge of the door and the sidewalk.
Spud99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Thanks, all. This is good stuff, and confirming what I'm finding out about them online. CycleWife isn't really that hot on the look of them (says they look like a BBQ Grill or Toaster) but they're growing on her. Frankly, I like the design... always have been drawn to blocky, square shapes than the swoopy, bubbly curves.

In our price range, they're all carrying about 50k miles but they do seem to be fairly reliable.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
I like the looks of them for that large flat rectangular roof. I have visions of loading my kayak on top with rods, paddles and other implements.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
... always have been drawn to blocky, square shapes than the swoopy, bubbly curves.
Do not mention this attraction to your wife - she will interpret it the wrong way, trust me.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
Thanks, all. This is good stuff, and confirming what I'm finding out about them online. CycleWife isn't really that hot on the look of them (says they look like a BBQ Grill or Toaster) but they're growing on her. Frankly, I like the design... always have been drawn to blocky, square shapes than the swoopy, bubbly curves.

In our price range, they're all carrying about 50k miles but they do seem to be fairly reliable.
The EcoBoost variant will be my next car, no doubt. I had thought we might have accelerated that plan last week when some lady t-boned my lexus, but apparently she couldn't even eff up my car properly enough to get it totaled, so now I'm car-less, wishing for a flex and riding bikes and motorcycles instead.

Looks-wise, it's kind of a tough call between the flying refrigerator (flex) vs. the baleen whale (Lincoln MkT). But if you're expecting to have tall passengers, the boxyness of the flex really helps.

I like the looks of the 6-person setup w/ the flying center console. will probably end up going for the 7-person arrangement though.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
Do not mention this attraction to your wife - she will interpret it the wrong way, trust me.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
I love them. I also think they kid of look Range Roverish in a good way.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
Seamripper
knewb

Oddometer: 111
I have a 2009. Best car for a family for sure. Handles like a car, not a mini-van or SUV. Second row seat are like riding in a limo (although they have child seats right now). There's enough room where the 4 year old can't kick the back of my seat.

Drove for an hour and a half with all seats full of family. My brother in-law who is 6.5 300+lbs sat in the 3rd row all the way. He was fine! Also went on a 3 day road trip last summer. It was a fun trip and the kids loved the video system in the back. It's also very quiet to drive.

I have the standard V6 282hp? All wheel drive, which is great in the winter. But the Ecoboost is 355hp I think!

All in all it's been reliable and a great car. I'd buy one again for sure.
Seamripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,393
might be the lone ranger here but

I had one as a rental for a week a couple years ago and I absolutely hated driving that thing, the seating position was really low and awkward, the visibility out of an normal mid-size SUV is so much better. Being so low and long, parallel parking it was a bitch but no more so than a Full Size SUV. I also think it's super ugly. It really amazes me that they dropped the Freestyle/Taurus-X in favor of this the Flex. If you're used to driving a regular SUV I think it'll take some getting used to. At the time my personal vehicle was a 4th Gen 4runner and I was so happy to be back in that thing after returning the Flex.

If I were in the Market for a new family hauler type vehicle. I'd rather one of the new Escapes over the Flex. have no clue what the $ difference is between the 2 though.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: