Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #31
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
If you enjoy off-road, stick with it. Age, beyond fitness, has NOTHING to do with it.
Yep, a couple of years back I rode with a guy who was in his early 70s. He was very nearly as quick as me on a 400EXC, crashed much less and was considerably less worn out afterwards.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #32
stefan tilden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky View Post
FUCKING AWESOME! I will watch that numerous times again. Those guys are incredible role models, not just for how to ride, but how to live.
A truly amazing video.
stefan tilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #33
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Get a 250 4 stroke and learn to ride the wheels off of it.

Take it to MX vet tracks, enduros, harescrambles and just start seeking out the nastiest trails you can find.

that's the bike that will fight you the least and let you learn the most.

Just make sure you're learning the right things. Either get some of Gary Semics DVD's or some of the dirt wise ones and just really practice getting your body postion right. Elbows up, good central body position balls on the pegs everything else will follow off of that.

And if you really like it start training now for PT. Moving a big 9x0 around fast is going to take allot of strength and allot of skill.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #34
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
I turned 43 this year. Last spring I picked up a 2003 XR250R, and started riding in the dirt for the first time since I had a Honda 50 when I was 8. Rode it 5-10 times and did my first enduro, 58km of nasty single track, fireroads and ATV trail. I never won my class, and I never finished last. I did have a blast, and had a permanent grin for days after.

You are never too old to try something new.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #35
Navigare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Yo stellars, are you from central Poland?
Navigare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #36
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcn View Post
HA!

You only stop learning when you are dead.
All end up in the dirt sooner or later.
Seth650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #37
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth650 View Post
All end up in the dirt sooner or later.

Yup....someday you will be getting traction ON ME in New Mexico.... So treat me well.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #38
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
I bought my TE 250 at 49. Been riding street since the 70's and my only prior dirt experience was as a kid on a mini bike.
I really enjoy it and it is a great work out.

You just have to ride within your skill level. The good news is when you do go down, dirt is softer pavement.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #39
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,083
I started on a 990Adv and I was 32 when I started riding on dirt. Too big and heavy and too much power. Downsized to a ktm 690e—better weight, but still too powerful. Went down to a WR250R, and upped my chops on that and after 3 years, I'm ready to go up to a 250xcfw or 350exc.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #40
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
I started on a 990Adv and I was 32 when I started riding on dirt. Too big and heavy and too much power. Downsized to a ktm 690e—better weight, but still too powerful. Went down to a WR250R, and upped my chops on that and after 3 years, I'm ready to go up to a 250xcfw or 350exc.
Common sense is rare to see these days, good on you mate!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #41
Meersen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I am 68 my riding buddy 72 did lot of asphalt over the yrs 1/2 million to million miles . Now retired in AZ and ride dirt, sand ,mountains etc every day. It's like a new life every morning and a riding a new dirt road every day .. You are only old when you say that is for younger people. My 72 yr old friend is better than am and gives me pointers. Get a small bike jump in and have fun no matter the age.
Meersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #42
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 570
Talking new tires, different friends

Nice to hear from a fellow Pole! FYI I ride a WR250R, mid pack.
I've been on several ADV rides & we're always a band of brothers. Help for a mechanical issue or flat is always cheerfully given (except once when someone showed on a half broken bike). I think the attitudes need to be adjusted. You could decide to not let this bother you & keep riding with the group (adjust your attitude) & keep learning. You could get the group together or maybe a few you know the best & talk it over (adjust their attitude), buy some drinks. Find others to ride with & see how it goes. Ride by yourself if you think it's safe.
Might want to confirm your tires, tire pressure are set up for sand. Ride sand more often to get better. Ask to try the lighter bikes in the group - how's the fast guy ride on your heavy bike?
When I used to mountain bike with a group, I'd do hillclimbs again while slower riders walked up. Kept the group together & enjoyed a better workout. I'd make sure everyone is in agreement on how to do this safely before just trying it.
Age doesn't matter; bike weight does but you've got a great one. Here's something to aspire to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJOdg...tailpage#t=27s
Highland Park Hare Scramble on KTM 950RSE

Thanks for the motivation - I'll be sending a few PM's to faster riders I've learned from. StoLot & Happy Trails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellars View Post
Hi there

I am riding motorcycles for more then 6 years now and started riding offroad once i got my Ktm adv - which is about 1 year now. I do trails, nasty uphills, gravel and all. I even do sand (we do have a sort of small desert in Poland). I try to ride as much as i can, but need to limit it to weekends only - for obvious reasons.

I ride with a couple of good guys on, respectively, lc4 and xr650. I do stay behind a lot. I do lose control on sand (although i try not to as much as i can), i still have problems with deep ruts and sharp turns on the trail (especially if on the hill - mainly uphill).

Im in my 30s and i keep hearing that maybe i am too old for offroad, that i will never learn how to do it properly.. Especially from those guys - who ride 20y+

Is that true? Will my skills stop improving and should i give up and stick to pavement? I love offroad, i really do, but such comments from experienced riders kind of blast my enthusiasm away...
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote