User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,437
Buying Parts from The USA - MG Cycle.

A cautionary tale of buying parts from the US, in this case MG Cycle, the Guzzi people. This has been my first dealing with them, I guess it will probably be my last, which is a shame.

So I ordered a pair of replacement grips for the Guzzi Ambo, these were priced at $28.80, to this was added $45.65 shipping to the UK. That was last week, they arrived today, I was then hit with a Customs charge of £14.79, and a UPS handling charge of £11.00

So let me show you what my new grips really cost
New Grips_____$28.80
Shipping ______$45.65
UPS Handling___$17.59
Customs duty__$23.65

Total $115.69 or £72.32 for a set of £18.00 Grips
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
A cautionary tale of buying parts from the US, in this case MG Cycle, the Guzzi people. This has been my first dealing with them, I guess it will probably be my last, which is a shame.

So I ordered a pair of replacement grips for the the Guzzi Ambo, these were priced at $28.80, to this was added $45.65 shipping to the UK. That was last week, they arrived today, I was then hit with a Customs charge of £14.79, and a UPS handling charge of £11.00

So let me show you what my new grips really cost
New Grips_____$28.80
Shipping ______$45.65
UPS Handling___$17.59
Customs duty__$23.65

Total $115.69 or £72.32 for a set of £18.00 Grips
What did you expect?

When I order parts oversea I always count the additional tax, we have 19% and the custom fee
here we have additional 3% to the costs.

To the shipping cost I recommend to ask the place where you want to order the parts if they can be
shipped with second class mail.

The shipping will then take a while, (because shipped by vessel not by airplane), but reduces the
postage a lot. If the place where you think to order deny this search an other dealer.

(I believe your grips where sended by airmail and priority too, which is a real issue for transatlantic
shopping tours ..., (UPS is sadly extremly expensive too, you should use US postal service))
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
YT Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
UPS is about the last company that you want to ship anything through. They'll charge you to have something cleared through customs every time and I seriously doubt that the customs people check every package out which begs the question....why the customs brokerage fee? I suspect that MG Cycle simply used poor judgement by shipping with UPS.

I live in Canada and order a lot of stuff from the US. If the only option for shipping from a store is with UPS or FEDEX, I continue shopping till I find someone that will ship via the US postal service (USPS). Those two have priced themselves out of the market as your storey clearly indicates.

The customs duty is purely the UK's gig and you can hardly blame MG Cycle for that. Apparently your government doesn't want you shopping outside of your country.

I guess those grips are gonna be special to you for a long long time.
YT Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,184
That is pretty crappy.

UPS handling fee should have been disclosed at time of purchase.

It sounds like the customs duty was tacked on by the UK upon entry? That one may be unavoidable purchasing outside Europe, since they are probably using it as a sort of VAT. I wonder if it would apply for packages coming from individuals overseas. Maybe a "pen pal" system could be applied, where someone from the USA who buys UK goods could trade shipping favors with you.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,394
Unfortunately, that's not wildly out of line. International UPS shipping is abhorrently expensive in the states. They could ship it with the postal service, but then it's not trackable, insured, etc. They kind of have to use UPS to cover their ass, but at the same time they probably should've told you up front that it would cost that much for such a cheap item. It's not really fair to hold them accountable for duty and UPS fees on your side. That's completely out of their control and just an inevitable part of international shipping.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
...They could ship it with the postal service, but then it's not trackable, insured, etc.
USPS does have tracking and insurance.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,458
^USPS offers insurance, but heaven help you if you need to make a claim. I've been fighting with them over a transmission that I shipped domestically for about six months. I'm about to give up, and just take it in the ass. I've easily spent 8 hrs of daytime dealing with this. I'm so pissed I can hardly stand it.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
eldomike
Who Cares

Oddometer: 810
I ship to the UK at least once a week...always use USPS....can't say why they used UPS, I would ask them about it.....as far as your taxes, thats between you and your government
Old 11-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
SOS
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 707
We send overseas everyday and use exclusely US Postal Service. In the last 5 years I've been bitten twice with lost packages, but we ship hundreds of shipments every month.

Any import tax is on the reveiving country, not much anyone can do about that, but honestly shipping grips should be about $10 or less.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

I knew I could get hit for the import duty, this is usualy a percentage of the value and the shipping cost, but the UPS charge is robbery, they have already been paid to handle the goods, by the sender? I am not specifically digging out MG cycle, but they never tell you how much the shipping is when you order.

Any other parts I need now, I shall get sent to a friend in Georgia, and carry them home in my hand luggage next time I visit.

Unfortunately I have put in another order from MG, so I expect I shall get hit again! oh well you learn by mistakes, but I wanted to make other buyers aware, so hopefully they may not get hit as badly as I have.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
USPS does have tracking and insurance.
They only track and insure domestic shipments and if you've ever tried their "tracking" service you'd know that the USPS doesn't REALLY offer tracking.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,207
wow, that sucks. When I order parts from Burlen fuel systems for my SU's and Amals I sure don't get socked with expenses like that. No excuse for that. Lots of times I get things via Royal Mail and the rates are very cheap and parts here in a week. No different than coast to coast in the US.

there has to be a better way to ship. You just can't beat MGcycle, I used them for about 99% of what I needed for my Lemans. Maybe a little investigation on shipping alternatives and then let MG know how you want it shipped instead of leaving it up to them.
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
I used MG Cycle for everything on my Guzzi build. Gordon and the rest of the crew were very helpful in getting parts as well as answering questions. They are pretty good about answering questions by email or phone. I'd drop them a line and see what they could do to help on the next order. Just a guess, but I'd bet they'd send it USPS if you request it.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomd View Post
I'd bet they'd send it USPS if you request it.
I might well have done, if I had known the costs up front but there you are, as I said, I am not digging out MG, they stock some great stuff, it is really UPS who are taking the piss
Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
eldomike
Who Cares

Oddometer: 810
The more I think about it...I may recall MG Cycle having a problem in the past with USPS and not using them any more....if thats the case just have them ship to your USA friend and have him ship it on to you via USPS....