User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Oddometer: 91
COBDR Father/Son trip

Me and my father are traveling from Denver Colorado to the start of the COBDR at 4 corners national monument. We have been planning this trip for a long time and everything so far is working out. I am currently stationed at BUCKLEY AFB. And he rode out from my hometown in Indiana to do this together. In April 2012 we did the UTBDR.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775951

My experience consists of the moab in 2011, and 2014. The UTBDR in 2012. My own off-roading around Colorado. And when I was in Texas I did some off-roading there. I've got a 2013 F800GS and my father has a 2014 F800 GS Adventure. His riding experience consists of riding throughout life time here and there. 2011 Moab. 2012 UTBDR. And off-road courses and races on motorcycles and 4x4s.

Picture of my bike

His bike

Today was a nice ride through the mountains. A little late start. Around 11. But we got a little hung up watching trailer park boys.

Obviously the room cluttered due to packing.
He slept on the floor.

Finally on our way.

I had issues with people today. Wasn't pleasant. People just don't know how to drive.
We will be at 4 corners tmro and on our way to the first leg of the BDR. Looking forward to the off-roading and the views. And it's even better since it's just us two.

Got to the hotel.

AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 288
Good luck and enjoy yourselves sirs. Be sure to give the SW corner plenty of time, much to see and do. Colorado riding is amazing, the SW corner is exceptional. Will be following
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,574

Innnnnnn
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Day 2

Day 2

We drove from Cortez to four corners today. Then back to Cortez.
Stopping at the local Starbucks.

At four corners

And hit a trail not to far north in Delores. We rode 68miles of trails today.
And behold our first mud puddle. Just after switchbacks with boulders and rocks everywhere uphill.

Ground hog reservoir.

As you can tell we were just on the edge of a storm. And we got hailed on for a few miles. At 59 degrees. Weird.

We spread some of my grandmothers ashes here.

And after groundhog reservoir there will be numerous miles of semi flat roads. After this you will come upon a few miles of uphill so keep your momentum up and pick your lines. It has TIGHT switchbacks. Ruts. Rocky. Scenic. Some mud here and there. (It rained the same day).

We came across this hill among said switchbacks. Very nice views. But short lived. We were still going uphill when we came across the west side of the mountain and we encountered mud. Lots of mud. It was rideable only for those who are definitely confident in their own riding skill. I would strongly discourage newbies riding this area when wet. As a false move will send you off into the depths of the bottomless drop off. Of which there is no return. And your bike is written off. Please to anyone who chooses to ride this area while wet. Be careful.

Just before the bad part. Mr friendly cow payed a visit.

His F800gsa was not liking the mud very much. He was the first get off of the trip. 😏😋 not me!

And after awhile I had succumbed to the wrath of the mud. He dropped his a few times. And i had also dropped mine a few times from slide outs.
As you can see. Mud. Caked all in the tires.

After wrestling the bikes in an uphill mud battle for an hour and half we finally got to the top. and then back down. On our way out we came across yet another GREAT view.

About 2hrs later we finished up on 145 at about 9pm. After the uphill and you start to descend your gonna have miles upon miles of flat dirt/gravel road. Easy ride rest of time. I suggest anyone who rides this route to leave by 7am. We entered the trail at 1pm. And wish we left sooner. And if at all possible avoid staying in telluride unless you have money. 223$ for the room. +60$ down payment for incidentals that will be refunded. Telluride has a 23% SALES TAX. yes. You saw it right. 23%. Absolutely ridiculous. But if you have friends and want to split it. And you had a long day. Stay and get in the hot tub.

We both feel a lot better after a 10hr day. And wrestling the bikes. Anticipate tipping the bell hop at least 6+ dollars. Yes they are very accommodating. But it's a pretty penny to stay out here. On to section 2 tmro. Wish us luck.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTSQD View Post
Good luck and enjoy yourselves sirs. Be sure to give the SW corner plenty of time, much to see and do. Colorado riding is amazing, the SW corner is exceptional. Will be following
Hopefully we will see you out there. Ride safe friend.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 417
IN! Kind of shocked by Telluride ...is it peak season or something?

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Ground Hog Lake, camped there on Labor Day, place emptied around dark thirty. Big GS and muddy mountain roads, props to you guys; well done.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER
Getting There!

Oddometer: 164
Update.

My son and I started the COBDR sunday morning from 4 corners. We finished the first section after a late start. We left the north side of Dolores at 1pm. After groundhog reservoir it started raining and hailing. The first mountainside you come to after groundhog reservoir was extremely slick on the way up. We were both riding our loaded F800's. The recent rain made it extremely difficult to move forward. Standing on the pegs was near impossible. You had to sit and use your feet at outriggers to glide along.

The best thing to do is stay away from the sides of the trail as it isn't compacted. If it is that slick, pick a rut and ski your feet along the sides. It was only the first 1" that was slicker than snot. It was hard packed underneath and felt like a skating rink. You can also aim for the rocks as they will provide you more traction and help clean out your tires. We were using some pretty aggressive tires too. Mitas Dakar E-09's.

We got through the slick section and observed a really steep incline and if that hill was as slick there would be no way we were going to make it. Luckily that hill wasn't slick. We ended up getting off that mountain at the end of section 1 and onto highway 145 at 9pm. We made into Telluride and stayed at the Hotel Telluride. Granted it was $223 for two beds, but they went out of their way to accommodate us. They guided into the underground garage and met us there with the cart and took our gear to the room. They also kept the hot tub open for us past its 10pm closing time. The kitchen was closed but they brought croissants, bowls, and a container of boiling water to our room so we could make the freeze dried food that we had.

We got up the next day and rode to the beginning of section 2 and arrived at Ophir pass. It was raining when we arrived and decided to proceed. I'm not going to lie. The pucker factor there was at DEFCON-1! I had no issues getting to the top, but it was a little unnerving to say the least. On the bigger displacement bikes like our 800's it is best to keep it in 1st gear and the RPMs at about 2100 and use your clutch to maintain a steady precise calculated pace. If your speed is too fast and you hit the Jeep ruts everyone has been talking about, you are going to start bouncing and take a header into the rock face or worse ride off the side of the mountain. At the last switchback near the top on the inside, there is a deep hole/rut. I went up the middle of the road right before the switchback since there were a bunch of loose rocks on the outside then went to swing wide to get a good line and then noticed the hole/rut on the inside of the turn. I aimed pretty much for the rock face so that I would avoid the hole. As soon as my front tire almost made contact with the rock face I cut left and throttled up. I got a good line up the right side but my back tire began to slide to the left on the face of the hole so I had to power out of it to prevent falling over on the left side of my bike. The adrenaline was now at full. Right after I had to force myself to loosen up and not be so rigid since my speed was picking up and my bike began lurching up and down over the rocks and ruts. I leaned forward over the handlebars to put more weight on the front tire, squeezed the bike with my knees, and backed off the throttle to slow down. Once my momentum began to slow I then began to massage the clutch to control the speed over the copious amounts of wet slick jagged rocks and ruts and everything began to smooth out for me. I have to admit, that was the most difficult technical section of trail I've ever ridden. The rain didn't make it any easier either. I would also recommend that if you are going to ride a large displacement bike up that pass to have a steering dampener installed or go really really slow. My son didn't make the switchback. His bike fell over on the left side in the big hole. Luckily there was a jeep and an FJ about 500 yards behind us. Once I made it to the summit, I began walking down to help him but the drivers had graciously helped him right his bike and get him going. I was working my way down the trail clearing it of larger rocks when I saw him coming. As he was passing me I yelled at him to stay right since there was another large hole about 25 yards up the hill. He only made it about 2/3rds right and hit that hole too. His bike began to lurch and jolt and he quickly stopped to prevent going off the side. I arrived to help him back his bike up and point it uphill again. As I was helping him get it started up the hill again, I noticed that he was revving his bike way too high to get it going. He made it up the rest of the way and once I finally made it the 300 yards up on foot I went right for my Gatoraid and Boost Oxygen bottle. Once I recovered and thanked the passing jeep and FJ Cruiser, I walked over to his bike and confirmed my fears. He had burned up his clutch. He had ZERO freeplay and adjusting the cable only left about 3 threads on the left of the bracket. I told him that our BDR was probably over. Once we got to the bottom we had to adjust it again which left no more adjustment. To top it off, the massive storm that smoked Vegas and Arizona was now coming our way. So we rode into Ouray to get a room in the pouring rain. We sourced a replacement clutch pack at Foothills BMW in Denver. So today we rode north from Ouray to Grand Junction then east on 70 in a torrential downpour. It rained heavily and relentlessly until we reached Golden Colorado. The temperatures averaged 45 degrees in the rain and bottomed to 41 degrees. Time constraints and the barrage of storms isn't going to allow us to continue our BDR this year. But in the first rainy muddy section, and the rainy Ophir pass, we both left feeling like we accomplished something. It was pretty awesome.

"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #9
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Well CRAP !

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

How many holiday days do you have left? There are so many options to consider since your deep into Colorado.
Burning clutches, mud, snow, ice reminded me of the La Sal's last October. No thank you.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
How many holiday days do you have left? There are so many options to consider since your deep into Colorado.
Burning clutches, mud, snow, ice reminded me of the La Sal's last October. No thank you.
I don't return from leave until the 18th. We were gonna go to the rampart range off-road trails for a day or two after fixing the bike. Don't know what we're going to do after that. After all Colorado is very beautiful and has a lot to offer. Ophir pass was by far one of the hardest things I have ever had to do with that bike. It kicked my butt. It didn't help that is was at almost 12k feet. I feel bad that I burnt my clutch. But at the same time with the intense weather that was forecast to come in. We wouldn't have been able to deal with the mud. Like we had spent 6hrs in the rain on the way to Denver from ouray. The other 2hrs Was a decent 55 degrees at least with a little sprinkle. We were soaked and cold to the bone. And the weather was deteriorating in the mountains. So we opted to haul back home to avoid it.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,772
Very sorry to hear about your clutch. I am liking my Rekluse clutch more and more. Good for that kind of stuff. I am still working on the 'growing my balls back' part of it but the Rekluse has saved my ass a couple of times especially on those rutte switchbacks.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,119
Damn shame.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #14
4NoNo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Rekluse

Hope your up and running soon!!
Last year, I rode my F800GS to Colorado did parts of UTBDR and COBDR.. After my clutch fingers got a workout and inconvenient engine kills at places I didn't want to sight see.. I decided to come back to Colorado this year with my Husky TE250 loaded with a Rekluse. Now that was a ride and no finger pains!! I had to go back again since then.