Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
peteFoulkes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Smashed my DRz up in Colombia. HELP needed!!!

I'm currently on a round the world trip but had a pretty major off a couple of days ago and completely smashed my frame and crank case up on my DRz 400. I'm absolutely gutted. You can have a read about our trip here if you wish to: www.toughmiles.com
We may be able to repair the frame by welding a new piece in but I need to get hold of a new crank case.

I'm currently in Pasto in Southern Colombia. Does anyone know of any DRzs for sale in Colombia? Either new or for spares and repairs?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Pete.

Find us on Facebook here:
www.facebook.com/toughmiles
peteFoulkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
If you only punched a hole in the case, and it's not structually detrimental (think bearing seats), you can patch it with some suitable material and something like JBweld...or possibly just JB by itself.

If you posted pics, that would be helpful.

Frames can always, always be fixed.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
DaytonaMike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
DRZ's in Colombia

Here is a link for Mercado Libre. They have a few but none new and nothing cheap.

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.co/drz-400
DaytonaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
peteFoulkes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
If you only punched a hole in the case, and it's not structually detrimental (think bearing seats), you can patch it with some suitable material and something like JBweld...or possibly just JB by itself.

If you posted pics, that would be helpful.

Frames can always, always be fixed.
Hey Lone Rider,

Yeah, we're hoping we can find a fix for it. We have cut the damaged part of the frame out and will weld something in to replace it. here is how it looked before:

The crack case itself took a bit of a battering and is quite badly damaged.

In addition to that, the magnesium cover has also cracked:

The mechanic here has told me that he has addressed the crack in the cover but I'm yet to see the finished product so fingers crossed. We initially thought the welder was going to have a go at repairing the case in the bike but he later asked us to drop the engine out. Once we got to that stage he then mentioned how the oil vapors present were effecting the weld so has requested we strip the engine completely down. This is beyond my exposure to stripping bikes down so I'm having to put a lot of trust in a mechanic with whom I can only speak broken Spanish.
You really don't realise what you have got until it's gone! I would do anything to be able to get back on my bike and continue this trip tomorrow.

peteFoulkes screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 07:07 PM
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
peteFoulkes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaMike View Post
Here is a link for Mercado Libre. They have a few but none new and nothing cheap.

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.co/drz-400
Thanks for this Mike. Certainly not cheap but food for thought. Thanks for your input.

Pete

Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,208
Not much help but wishing all the luck.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
peteFoulkes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Not much help but wishing all the luck.
Thanks for the good wishes! I'm determined to ride South America. I'm sure we can work something out.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
Byron1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Hi Pete,

Sorry to hear of your troubles... Hope you are ok?

I am riding down through Costa Rica at the moment and will be getting the boat across on the 26th... Am sure you can get the same stuff there as you can hear, but if you think there may be anything you want picking up from San Jose or Panama City let me know and I can collect and bring with....

Recently had a similar (although not as bad) problem myself. Sucks, but it is all part of the adventure... Calm seas make not skilfull sailors!

All the best,

Byron
Byron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
peteFoulkes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1 View Post
Hi Pete,

Sorry to hear of your troubles... Hope you are ok?

I am riding down through Costa Rica at the moment and will be getting the boat across on the 26th... Am sure you can get the same stuff there as you can hear, but if you think there may be anything you want picking up from San Jose or Panama City let me know and I can collect and bring with....

Recently had a similar (although not as bad) problem myself. Sucks, but it is all part of the adventure... Calm seas make not skilfull sailors!

All the best,

Byron

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your concerns. No more than a few cuts and bruises for me. Thankfully I had all the gear on or it would have been a different story. As for your kind offer of parts, I have a feeling it will be as much of a struggle to source DR-z parts in Panama to be honest but thanks for a kind offer.
As I understand, Ecuadorian customs is much more straight forward to clear in comparison to Colombian customs so if we really do need to get parts shipped from the UK or the States then Quito may be my best bet. As it stands, the mechanic we are using here, or the maestro as he is known locally, is confident he can work something out with enough time behind the welding gun using the existing damaged parts. I guess it's just a waiting game now.

Keep in contact though. Maybe we'll see you pass through if we are still here. Pasto doesn't have a huge amount on offer to be honest so we would be glad of the company for a beer or two.

Pete.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
peteFoulkes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A quick one to thank everyone for their input. Believe it or not we're already back on the road despite not sourcing any parts locally in Colombia. It turns out you guys were right when advising that I need to have faith in the local mechanics ability.

In short, he cut out the damaged part of the frame and replaced it by welding in a new tube. With the assistance of the welder just further down the road they managed to weld up the damaged crank case although the welder did require the entire engine to be fully stripped before starting his weld. 'Maestro', as the mechanic is know locally had no issues rebuilding the engine and had it completed in no time.

We've since ridden from Pasto, Colombia down to Banos in Ecuador and the bike is performing really well. Fingers crossed it can get me all the way down to Argentina.

Here are some pics of the botched up job...

Old 11-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,640
Always like seeing something repaired in SA
Amazing what can be done with a few resources.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Just incredible! Beautiful work!

I wish you guys well ... hoping the DRZ hangs together till Argentina!
Looking at the broad view ... the bike is really of little importance. If you were seriously hurt ... well that would have been an adventure of another kind.

Bike parts and repairs are simple and cheap compared to body parts and recovery time.
Been there, done that.

Was your crash a single vehicle accident or other vehicles involved?

PS: DRZ400's are relatively cheap and plentiful in the USA. Might not be a bad idea to arrange some spares from breakers, Ebay .. or where ever ... for stand-by use for future .... adventures.
Getting parts in may cost you ... but ... there are ways around it if you contact the "right" people. I hope you need nothing ... but makes sense to at least have a plan ... like a Suzuki shop in the US who can post parts in a few days. Often times business to business shipments get through more quickly, even pay less duty. Maybe even American Suzuki can help ... since you have a connection there?? There are Suzuki dealers in Ecuador ... I think the Police use DR650's and Freewind's. Might be DRZ's there too ... dunno.

Good luck guys. Stay safe!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 10:14 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,117
Yeah, lots of Suzi dealers in SA. Very few Zeds down there though. Probably easier to get KTM parts there than Zed parts.

Great job on the repair, Some of those Latino mechanics can work magic, they do it all the time down there. You learn to work with what you have.

Grifter is correct, no matter what happens with the bike can be fixed with a little searching. Your body, not so much. Glad you came through that unhurt.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Great news.
I'll suggest doing a very early - one or two times - oil changes on the motor.
The environments in which the motors are opened and closed/rebuilt are not always the most clean.
Just an fyi.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,387
Nice. Way to get it back on the road at all costs. A lot of people would've given up on a cracked case and mangled frame. I hope it still runs right and continues to do so long enough to finish the trip. Even if it doesn't, you'll have gone down fighting. Way to be. I salute you.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote